“Sorry for Owners' flood problems”

The Bramley Apple Inn
Ranked #7 of 9 Southwell B&B and Inns
Cambridge
“Sorry for Owners' flood problems”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

My wife and I stayed one night here 21/07/13 after going to a wedding at nearby hotel. Cherrie and Jim the owners could not have been more helpful in accommodating our late arrival and Jim even ran me back to the hotel in the morning to collect my car after cooking a great breakfast.
I am so sorry to hear about their misfortune. They are a genuine young couple trying to build a business and I am sure that refund problems have been unintentional. I hope they get back on their feet and are given another chance.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brimat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Leigh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

I booked a one night stay at the Bramley Apple for the 8th August through Booking.com on the 9th June at the agreed fee of £75. This amount was taken from my account on the 12th June by the Bramley Apple. I was contacted by Booking.com in late July informing me that my reservation was cancelled owing to the pub being flooded. I tried to contact the Bramley Apple several times by e-mail and leaving messages by telephone to get my £75 refunded, but never got any response from cherrie or jim. Whilst I have every sympathy over their problems I would have thought that it would have been in their best interest to keep their customers informed and to refund any deposits on all bookings they had taken. I went back to Booking.com and they conducted their own enquires, but again they could not contact the pub. Finally booking.com, who have been brilliant throughout decided to refund my £75 themselves. 10 out of 10 for them, but 0 out of 10 for The Bramley Apple.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anthony r
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

We booked accommodation at The Bramley Apple Inn in April this year. The accommodation was for my friends wedding this weekend just gone. Another friend I know who was also staying here called the b&b to confirm the rooms days before our stay to find a voicemail message saying the pub was closed until further notice due to flooding in the area.
Ourselves along with 4 other couples we know were also staying here. No one was informed that we wouldn't be able to stay and that the pub had closed. We have tried to contact the pub on numerous occasions to no reply and us just having to leave voicemails. We have also sent two emails and still no reply. Along with the inconvenience of the whole matter they will not get in touch with us to refund our deposit. Surely a phone call or email to let us know there was a problem wasn't out of the question???? I advise anybody staying here in the future to call up before traveling to ensure room is booked.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kevin B
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

Spotlessly clean, a great location, and good value. We had a warm welcome and good night's sleep at the Bramley Apple Inn, and the breakfast was terrific. We would stay there again, and Southwell is a charming place to visit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bigbonedgal
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

My dad, my partner and I stayed at the Bramley Apple for 4 days in late May while we explored the area and my partner photographed at the Minster.
Don't be misled into thinking this is standard "pub-type" accomodation. The two rooms we were in were very clean, surprisingly quiet (no noise from the pub at all) furnished to a high standard (featuring lovely new bathrooms) and the breakfast was fabulous!
Our hosts couldn't have been more helpful and Dad and Martin had quite a lot of fun trying to drink their way through the fabulous array of local ales.
The only thing I'd mention to those not familiar with finding a meal in towns like Southwell, is to check when the pubs stop serving food before you leave for the day. It can be disappointingly early!
We had a great time here and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Loved the room that opening onto the balcony. Great view.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Debra H
Shropshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Very comfortable room. Do not be put off by the fact this is an inn - very little noise disturbance. Very welcoming host with persoanl attention - noticed we had not ordered any meat for breakfast so came up with vegetarian suasages without being asked! Will ceratinly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Rob R
South Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

Stayed here for 1 night . The male half of our group went to the cricket at Trent Bridge while we visited Southwell. Had a great visit to the National trust property nearby but unfortunately there was nowhere for lunch. Called at the Hotel and were given directions to a good place to eat in Southwell and walked back via the Minster.The owners were friendly and helpful, as were the locals ,all interested in how are day had been . The food at night was good, we tried the Tapas menu and thought this was good value. The rooms were clean and comfortable and a good breakfast was served the next day. My husband would have liked to stay longer to try more of the real ale. The only negative was no car park so we needed to park on the road. We were able to park near so no problem for us. A good place to stay and we would certainly consider it again if we were in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank SMPG
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southwell
Saracens Head Hotel
#4 of 9 in Southwell
The Lions Newark
The Lions Newark
#3 of 39 in Newark-on-Trent

Been to The Bramley Apple Inn? Share your experiences!