“Avoid”

Apollo
Ranked #11 of 17 Georgioupolis B&B and Inns
“Avoid”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

AI was a joke comparing to other hotels, the same reheated dinner for lunch. No choice of food especially for children. Almost never any dessert, forget the decent coffee. The alcoholic drinks just watered beer cheap raki and we could not understand why they serve Spanish wine than the local ones are so good. AI valid just for a very limited time of the day, if you are not in the main building you have nothing there, have to go a few hundred of meters for a glass of water. It's very small hotel so forget the entertainment and proper guest service. We had a few problems while there and tried asking for help but no one cared. Spent ten nights sleeping on twins pushed together and we are a couple. The only person who could speak English properly was our cleaner from Apollo 2 bless her. I could go on and on but there is no point really. Loved Greece, their food, drinks and people. Everywhere else we went we were welcome and dining outside was very cheap and delicious always accompanied by tasty house wine. I strongly advise you to spend your money elsewhere as Crete is well worth a visit just choose another hotel as from all the AI hotels we ever had this was definitely the worst.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Jolita L

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
SCOTLAND
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We had a lovely relaxing holiday at the Apollo, the staff were brilliant, made us more than welcome. Kavros is a very small village great for a peaceful holiday, we traveled on the small train to lapas, great day out, also went to Chania for a day, big city, very busy place. also walked to the lake which was beautiful. Overall we could not fault the place. Weather was

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank ANNIEMACSCOTLAND
Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Really me and my boyfriend don't understand all bad reviews. Do people expect if they speak english somebody should put red carpet for them? The hotel is great! Rooms are tidy, food delicious. They cook all greek dishes. Of course if you get used to eat fast food you probably will complain...The athmosphere in hotele is nice and symphatic. We spent really relaxing holiday there.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Malgorzata A
Alford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Apollo for two weeks in September. Having read the reviews before we booked we were not expecting the Ritz but a warm and welcoming family hotel with the benefits of all inclusive. We could not have been more wrong!. The hotel advertises the all inclusive is available from 11 am to 11 pm serving soft drinks, beer and local spirits. This is definately not the case! The bar opened at 12 noon(if there was somebody around to actually open up). We had to ask on several occasions as it was still not open well after twelve. They stopped serving at 10.30pm but when we asked for a drink on one occasion at 10.20 we were rudely ignored. The only alcoholic drinks available were a local beer and watered down raki. The only member of staff that didn't make us feel uncomfortable when asking for a drink was George. He was fantastic and went out of his way to look after us. As for the owner he mostly sat at the bar all day ignoring us when there was nobody around to serve a drink. As for his wife Sofia I have never experienced anyone so rude and unco-perative. On several occasions she totally ignored us whilst serving drinks and chatting and laughing to the Germans and Russians. On one particular occasion she refused point blank to serve us and told us we drank too much. As it was nigh on impossible to get a drink this comment seemed absolutely ludicrous!. On the second week my daughter and her family joined us and during the afternoon when coffee and cake was served I was told I couldn't have any cake as my family had already had some!. I was absolutely flabbergasted. Later that night she apologised saying 'You are tourists and may have whatever you want' However nothing changed and I began to feel so uncomfortable every time I asked for a drink that we would just leave and go elsewhere!

The food was edible although nothing to rave about! Neither my partner nor I are fussy eaters but there was no choice and most of the time the hot food was barely luke warm. I would certainly not recommend anyone with young children to stay here due to the lack of choice and mostly unappetizing meals. The food was repetitive and flavourless. I can make a better Moussaka and Beef Stiffado myself!

The hotel rooms themselves were basic but clean. Our cleaner worked tirelessly everyday on her own to ensure we had clean towels and bedding. The TV had no English channels at all, everything was in German or Greek (not even the BBC World News channel). There was an issue with bare wires sticking out of the walls, which I am sure is a Health and Safety issue. There also appeared to be no Health and Safety regulations by our pool. We stayed in Apollo 2 which is about a 3 minute walk from the main hotel. There were uneven tiles around the pool, no lifeguard ring and chemicals were stored in an unlocked room on the floor. The sub pool maintenance entrance cover was left open exposing a ten foot drop. I cannot imagine what sort of nightmare this would cause anyone with young children!

I have been going to the Greek islands for the last 25 years and stayed All Inclusive for the last ten and have never experienced service and hospitality as abyssmal as this. In my opinion I would not stay in this hotel at half the price!. Whatever happened to fantastic Greek food and hospitality because there is certainly none at the Apollo!

Room Tip: Don't even bother!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Linda P

Travellers are raving about these Georgioupolis hotels

london
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Just arrived back from what we though would have been a lovely relaxing holiday for my partners 21st! We couldnt have been more wrong! we arrived and did not recieve a hello nor a smile! we were then told they over booked and we was staying in a building a cab journey a way, which had no bar so we would have to get a cab back to drink or eat we refused this as we were all inc. they then put us in another building a short walk away, which again had no bar or food. after complaining non stop we got moved on our second night to the main holtel, rooms were clean which was the main thing but staff were RUDE! if youre german youre fine put it that way! ive never been treated to disgusting in my life! we paid for all inc yet did not recieve it, everytime we asked for a drink we was told to wait whilst she would talk away with other german guest, the we was told we drink to much, we dont hardly drink, she would make us pay when it come to half 10. yet would serve everyone else for free! it was a shambles!! we meet a lovely english couple and faamily out there and they said the same. the manager is RUDE. Food was horrid no taste at all and only one option. Its a NO GO put it that way!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LucyLondon259
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Crete is absolutely gorgeous and hotel is located in a nice area with a mainly sandy beach. Local cash machine didn't work for the whole holiday so had to get a train to Georgiopolis (15 mins away) to get cash. The rooms are basic but there was a few issues with wires exposed near the shower and a boarded up window. The hotel is dangerous, marble floors so when it rained or people came out of the pool it was very slippery and lots of people hurt themselves, including one lady who ended up in a&e in a cast.
The swimming pools nice (though cloudy) and there is 2 pools, one has no bar and there's lots of broken tiles along the poolside.
The food wasn't that bad, there wasn't much choice so we went to a nearby take away most days. The bread was nice but sometimes stale. You could only get butter or margarine at breakfast, Cakes were nice though sometimes burnt. They did make lunches for you to take away if you were on a trip but it depended which member of staff you asked for it.
The worst part was the staff. There was one nice cleaner, one nice receptionist and one nice barman (though he hardly was working). The manager and his partner were the worst, they were so rude to us. They would ignore us while we waited at the bar, serving all the Germans before us. They would sigh and moan every time we ordered a drink. My 9 year old stepdaughter was also ignored or told our family had just been served. At coffee and cake hour one of our family was refused cake cos two of our family had already had cake. I asked for a coffee and was told no. The drinks are not all inclusive. You get lemonade, fizzy orange, fizzy lemon and lime, cola, tea, beer, white spirit (Raki) and disgusting wine. Even orange juice you had to pay for unless it was breakfast. All the drinks were watered down, we never got drunk while we were there but were told we drink too much (including my stepdaughter). It's hot and we were dehydrated so of course we needed to drink. Even when we'd been out on trips during the day they moaned at us for ordering a drink when we got back. There was only one other English couple there, who also complained about the way we were treated. There was mainly Germans and the staff spoke German but barely any English, though sometimes we wondered if that was an act so they didn't have to talk to us. I remained polite all holiday and even tried to make conversation with the bosses wife but she would turn her back on us mid conversation. She couldn't deal with working at the bar. It was fairly quiet when we went there but we always had to wait ages and she'd get angry telling us to wait all the time. She did apologise a couple of times but then she went back to her rude self. The manager would sit at the bar with his friends drinking all day and when the bar staff were away he would see you at the bar but refuse to serve you and just give you dirty looks all day. Could talk for hours about the negatives but we didn't let it spoil our holiday and still had a nice time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sazzyp1979
Heraklion, Greece
Reviewed 21 August 2013

It's so sad that there are bad reviews for such a nice hotel. Apollo it's the all shining name so sometimes people expect to see something very luxurious under that name and they forget that the Olympian son of Zeus, was also present at ancient but not so rich caves or rocks and fountains or elsewhere the light can enter.

When I went at the hotel Apollo and noticed that it wasn't Hilton or Hyatt, but just a nice small friendly family owned hotel, I wasn't dissapointed because it didn't matter to me, althought soon I found taste, design, good will and honest management, that tries to produce excellent service and great hospitality. The managers Mr. Nick & John Kokolakis are so friendly that almost immediately you feel you are a part of the family.

Of course the prices are set by the all inclusive travel agencies but if you are passing by, you could always ask if there is any room available, especially at the end of season.
I was there at mid-July for one week and someone asked for a room at the time that I was near the informative reception desk, but the charming receptionist said they didn't had any room left that day.
The rooms are cute and clean, they change sheets regurarly, the toilets are fine and the people are so happy. Mostly Germans, Russians, French, English, Dutch and less Greeks, Asians or Americans.
There are two buildings with simple rooms and a third building with bigger suites. There is also a private beach rented from the municipality and offered for free to the visitors of Apollo.
It's cool that they offer even a haircut styling boutique where you can have a new look before you go out to the cafeterias or bars for enjoy the night life in the romantic and idylic village.

Kournas Lake just a kilometer away it's a natural bioculture of diversification and special weather conditions. Lot of green, full of trees and streaming waters, beautiful paths to the mountains. There are also bicycle trips, mini bus trips, walking quides, sports and interesting filtering of sunlight by the lake. Very close to Georgioupolis is Rethymno with its traditional port and many other turistic attractions. The place it's so fantastic that you always want to go out and see.
And when you return to Apollo it's a safe romantic place to sleep and recharge yourself for the next day. I even go on Apollo boat one day and visited a lot of marvelous beaches that you cannot go by car and also had really good fun swimming and diving at the crystal light waters of the Akrotiri bays.

Soon it was time to go and leave such a hospitality so eagerly friendly, all the local food and the traditional recipes, the friends I made at the pool bar and the majestic nature above all that surrounds the place and gives to the whole area an Apollonian Glance of Etermal Bless.

Maybe there are more luxurious hotels at the area but I was so happy at the Apollo hotel that I don't have to think about it next time I go to Kavros for buying the excelent cheese from the traditional method's cheesemakers, I will stay again at Apollo.

Room Tip: Northern rooms have a sea view, while southern rooms are looking on the direction of Kournas Lake bu...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Georgioupolis
Georgioupolis Beach Hotel
#6 of 7 in Sfakaki
Apollo Hotel
Apollo Hotel
#5 of 6 in Kournas

Been to Apollo? Share your experiences!