“7 days more than enough”

Mitsis Rodos Maris Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Kiotari
Derby, United Kingdom
“7 days more than enough”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

'All right' is the term I would use for this hotel. It certainly isn't fabulous. We stayed for 7 days and we were more than ready to come home.

The problem is, the hotel is badly managed. It accepts 1400 guests, but the facilities do not match the demand, nor are there nearly enough staff. The main pool is far too small for the amount of people at the hotel. There aren't enough sunbeds or umbrellas. The umbrellas can't be moved, demand is high and I haven't ever stayed anywhere before, and I have travelled the world extensively, where the staff don't wheel out extra umbrellas for the guests.

Getting a sunbed with an umbrella is an absolute joke. People get up at 3am to reserve their spot. My husband cannot sit in the direct sun for medical reasons, so I had no choice other than to join this insanity - which was a first for me. I set my clock every day for 4:50 am, because if you left it until after 6am there was nothing left. I met the regular early risers each morning, who along with me were doing the same thing especially if they had children, and we had a laugh/moan about it, but it certainly needs to be addressed by management. The pool actually doesn't open until 10am, and at best should be roped off until 8am - it is a holiday after all!!! Apart from one morning, when I walked through the hotel in the dark, it was quiet, and the staff were sitting upstairs overlooking the pool. Good morning they would say, albeit 3am or 5am as they watched us lay out our towels. Crazy tourists - I am sure came to mind.

As my eyes surveyed the pool for the first time, I was shocked at how shabby it is. Some of the tiles are black (especially under the waterfall area) and I worried immediately. My worries were justified, when 3 days later my daughter complained about her ear hurting. We ended up twice at the Dr's, and it ruined our holiday as she was in a lot of pain and consequently did not want to go in the water. I asked the lifeguard when the pool water was tested and I was told 6am every day. I had been poolside some mornings at this time, and I never saw this happen. We had a lovely room which overlooked the pool and in fact I never saw the pool being cleaned. What I did see every evening when the pool closed, was the lifeguard sweeping the dirty water that people had walked through all day - some with shoes on - being put back into the pool. On several mornings the level of scum on the water could be seen, bread was floating in the edges of the pool, and plastic cups were bobbing in the water. Fabulous?? ..... I think not!

There are queues everywhere. On our last day, as customary- I waited in the queue for breakfast - and out of boredom, I counted how many people were waiting in the queue. I was number 57 - there were another 23 behind me. There is only one waiter who is rushed off their feet serving drinks/ice-creams in the gelateria - hence queues. Likewise George is on his own serving the relentless queue at the pool bar.

There is one lifeguard, Pete, to monitor 4 pools and the slides. Management reprimand him if kids jump off the wall into the pool, whilst the parents encourage it, yet how can one person be everywhere at the same time?

The first few days we were there, it was 43c and the air was still. The lack of air-conditioning was an understatement. The inside temperature was the same as the outside. Luckily our room had good air-conditioning (some people said theirs wasn't working - I can't imagine in those temperatures), and it was the only place to escape the heat. I complained to management, (and I was one of many) after trying to eat lunch one day, as sweat dripped off me and the staff!!! I was told the air-conditioning was on, but because the doors kept opening as people came in or went out, this was the problem. How is it, I have stayed in larger hotels in Turkey, and when you walk inside, you feel the relief of the cool air?

We went to the taverna one night - which was a welcome break from the chaos of the main restaurant, however the smell of sewage was overwhelming. We also went to the Chinese, which we all thoroughly enjoyed. Mealtimes in the restaurant are manic and generally a free for all. Hundreds of people are swarming in every direction - some as though it is their last meal. I think upon checking in, a 10 minute presentation on manners and etiquette would benefit certain cultures. Although not managements fault, the greed of some people and the sheer waste is appalling. What I do blame management for however, it the disgusting practice embraced by this hotel, of removing the water and wine jugs after people leave their table and recycling the remaining back into other jugs to use again. . Fabulous?? ..... not in my opinion.

The animation team are a great bunch of people, and always had time for a chat with a big smile on their faces. They work very hard, and too much is expected of them. They are expected to entertain everyone throughout the day, and then again at night. A 5* hotel, I would have thought would have provided some good outside entertainers/shows on some nights. Majorca knocks spots off the Greeks! The area for the evening entertainment is very unappealing. Ugly in fact.

The hotel has a large proportion of British guests, who clan together each day to play darts or take over the smaller section of the pool to play water polo, sing their songs in unison in the pool disrupting the water gym, and gather around the bar each night at 5pm to drink copious amounts of beer and play a quiz. Maybe this constitutes fabulous for some.

I am left boggled as to where people have been holidaying if they think this hotel is fabulous??? They certainly haven't stayed in truly 5* hotels such as those in Hawaii, the Caribbean, or Bali to name a few.

Room Tip: E-mail hotel first with request. Rooms in hotel overlooking pool with distant seaview are lovely
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Spent a week here from 8th-15th August, 2 adults, 2 children. After a 2hr bus journey from the airport and the last drop off, first impressions were that the décor in the main foyer was impressive, marble floors and comfy leather seats. No problems with overbooking and we were given room number 543, which was about a 2 min walk from the main reception. Our suitcases were delivered to our room about 10 minutes later which was a nice touch.

The room itself, a family room, was fine and spacious enough for the 4 of us. The partition and door between the rooms was a bonus as it gave the kids and us some space. The mini bar was great and was stocked on our arrival with 2 bottles of Fizzy Orange, 2 Lemonade, 2 beers, 2 Soda Waters and a large bottle of Mineral Water. This was re-stocked every 2nd day. The room was regularly cleaned. We were on a ground floor, so had a terrace with a table, 2 chairs and a shared grassy area. The air conditioning was adequate to keep the room cool for August. One night it did go a bit wonky and turned itself off several times, but this only happened for about 15 minutes. We did have a few Ants in and around the room, but nothing to get worked up about, just make sure you don’t leave crumbs on the floor. No problems with mosquitoes all week, either inside or outside.

The beds were a bit hard and uncomfortable and the one pillow each was paper-thin. On the last day, we noticed that a big crack and hole appeared in the ceiling above the shower, it looked like there had been some flooding from the upstairs room. This was noted to the reception when we handed in our keys, so hopefully it was sorted out before anyone else got that room.

The food was a bit repetitive, but by the end of the week we had all got used to the choice and had our own little favourites. The staff were helpful and mainly cheery and there was always someone to help find a table during the busy times. The waiters and waitresses were always on hand to take your drinks order. The birds might seem a nuisance, but they don’t bother you whilst you are having your meal.

The best meal we had was at the Italian ‘Taverna’. Unfortunately, we were only able to book this once during our visit, we would like to have eaten out there again but it was fully booked up for the rest of the week. It is in a quieter area of the complex near the beach, was a lot more relaxed and the food was also much better.

The local Beer, Vap, was good enough. George will keep you topped up at the Pool Bar. The spirits and wine were watered down, but were drinkable. The soft drinks I do not think were Pepsi, 7 up, Fanta Lemonade/Orange as they said they were, but when you’re around the pool or on the beach on a hot day you’ll have no problems drinking it.

The Animation team do try hard to get people involved in the activities, but I didn’t find them too pushy if you just wanted to relax, read a book or listen to your ipod instead. On the last night of our stay, there was a Pool Party at the main pool, I think this was probably a one off for that night, other than that, the evening activities took place at an arena that’s out of the way from the main complex and on the one night we went there, there didn’t appear to be much going on, so we spent most of our evenings around the bars in the main complex. Our two kids had mostly tired themselves out during the day having fun at the pool or at the beach so weren’t too bothered about missing out on the Mini Disco.

We spent time at all three pools during our stay. The main pool does get very busy, especially when there is a Water Polo game going on. There is a smaller kids pool with two slides and another small pool which is located in a quieter part of the complex. There probably isn't enough pool space for the number of guests who are staying at the Hotel during peak times.

My wife and I said beforehand that we would not get up early to put our towels down by the pool, but ended up taking it in turns after a couple of days to get up at 6.30 to commandeer 4 loungers with umbrellas, even at this time the majority were already taken. At least we got to witness the beautiful sunrises this early in the morning!

The private beach is nice and there was always plenty of loungers to be found here at any time of the day. You can also get your all inclusive drinks and snacks from the Beach Bar. My daughter went on both the Banana Boat and Crazy Shark for an extra cost; this was 20 Euros for the both. This was with the Animation team, so it may be more expensive on other days.

We took a boat trip to Lindos, which you get from the beach next to the Hotel. This leaves everyday at 9.45, picks up at another Hotel in Kiotari and also Lardos and arrives at Lindos at 11am. It costs 15 Euros for Adults and 7.50 Euros for children. It is more expensive than the local bus, but is a relaxed way to get to there and you can top up your tan on the top deck. The only downside is it leaves Lindos at 2.45, so you don’t get a very long time to stay in Lindos, though if your only going for the beach, which is one of the best on the island, very shallow and warm water, it’s just about enough time.

The free wifi at the Complex was more reliable in the main hotel, but it gets very stuffy inside there at times as there is no, or very little, air conditioning on. If you can get a signal, the best place is the Internet Café, where you can get a drink and sit outside. During the day it is quite well shaded by trees.

The resort of Kiotari is not the liveliest. There is a selection of small shops across the road from the Hotel, a Supermarket, a Fish Spa and a Bar. We took the Kiotari train one evening around the resort for 5 euros for adults and 3 euros for children. This takes around an hour. Kiotari has around 4 or 5 large hotels, some lovely looking villas with personal swimming pools, a selection of shops around each hotel, but nothing much else to keep you occupied if you want to venture outside the Hotel.

The hotel is not a 5 star as others have said, but we did not expect it to be, so we were not disappointed in that respect. The Hotel grounds were nice and generally kept clean. Due to the location of the Hotel, we probably wouldn't return, but that is nothing against the Hotel itself or the staff who work there.

4 Thank hibbypaul
Dionissis T, Διευθυντής at Mitsis Rodos Maris Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 November 2016
Our Hotel becomes better and better ..
2 new restaurants are coming up ( 5 now in total ) . A daytime Burger and an evening “Mediterranean dream”. 600 costumers daily will be able to enjoy their Lunch or dinner at one of our small gastronomic Diamonds ! New facilities will be added as well and a lot of surprises for 2017 !!

Reviewed 16 August 2012

We have just returned on the 16th august we av had a brilliant time I have 2 children aged 10 and 14 who both thoroughly enjoyed it the animation team are fantastic especially aundras, Simona,frank all of the restarant staff are very helpful and polite the staff at the taverna which is itallian are fantastic so warm and friendly the pool is the main area during the day and yes there is a problem with sunbeds u do have to get up early to get a bed but I haven't been to an all inclusive complex and not had to do this the food is very good with a variety of food every night the drinks are definatley not watered down as previously said in all restarants u can wear Dress shorts you do not have to wearfull length trousers the amount of people who have returned a 2nd,3rd,4th and in one case a 20th time says it all really and we will be returning next year

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank juliequilly

Cannock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2012

This is the 2nd Mitsis hotel we have used & again we werent disappointed. Location right next to beach, shops over the road, trips & activities right on the doorstep. We didnt use the spa. Fabulous selection of food catering for the adventurers or even the pickiest of ppl! Kids clubs for little ones up to teenagers. Get up early if u want to lounge around the pool as loungers go extremely early

1 Thank fash4

UK
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Great hotel at bargain price. Rooms were nice, even those looking onto street. Pool area lovely. Food varied and service v good. All inclusive was great. Was even a free bar on beach which served snacks. Loungers and parasols on beach included for free. All made for a very enjoyable and relaxing stay. Staff very friendly and helpful. Little shops and mini market on site, hair dressers, internet cafe etc made you feel like it was more than just a hotel - esp given that there wasn't much to do in the local area. Take a trip to Lindos which isn't far away and well worth a visti. Can't wait to go back to this hotel. Would be there in a shot!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea would have a lovely view (we had a street view which was fine). We were in main...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ILOVEHOLSUK

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Just returned from 2 weeks at this wonderful hotel. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids age 14 and 12. I honestly dont understand how people can moan about this hotel. No it isnt 'English' 5 star. More like 4 star. However, the rooms are lovely and spotless, large enough for us all to move around in and with a minibar!. Food, fab choice, none of us went hungry and always found something. The staff work so hard and always with a smile. Nothing too much trouble. As for the animation team. WOW!!!! Andreas, Frank, Simone, Gabrielli, Alex, Rico, John etc etc. They made our holiday! Always had something going on and ready for a laugh and a joke. They worked tirelessley and we will miss them all. We hardly saw our kids as they met some lovely friends and went off and ate, socialised and had fun as a group.. This meant we had a relaxing fun stress free holiday. The hotel is in a quiet place but we didnt go on holiday to explore so this didnt bother us. Met some fabulous friends and will definately go back next Summer. This holiday for us was great value for money, I would recommend it to anyone!! xx

2 Thank Albert_Sue

Chesterfield
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Stayed at Rodos Maris from 18th July-1st August 2012, We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (7 & 14). This is the best all inclusive that we have experienced in Europe to date. The hotel is in a quiet location, but this is not an issue as there is so much to do within.The staff are always friendly even though they work long hours and in hot temperatures..The animation team are also full of energy and try to get everybody involved.For the kids it is a very safe environment and lots to keep them occupied from the kids pool with slides,table tennis,tennis courts and snooker.The food was excellent,top quality with plenty of variety. The taverna was our favourite.The beach bar is excellent with staff to match, nothing is too much trouble and they are fun to be around. Would definitely return.Many thanks for a great holiday!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Spireiteboy67

RODOS MARIS again & again
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kiotari
Mitsis Rodos Village Beach Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,991 reviews
Boutique 5 Hotel & Spa
Boutique 5 Hotel & Spa
#1 of 15 in Kiotari

Been to Mitsis Rodos Maris Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!