Cala Blanca is a quiet resort in a noisy setting, quite close to the road through Taurito, a small resort which echoes to the sound of nightly outdoor entertainment. There is evening entertainment of varying quality by the pool at Cala Blanca which does not seem to be advertised.
It’s the smallest resort in Taurito, overshadowed by larger more impressive hotels nearby. Its only “wow factor is a view over the bay from the higher apartments and good sunsets, obtained at the expense of a steep hill to walk up & down if you miss the essential courtesy bus. Be careful as this road is unlit and the pavement is full of trip hazards.
This is not a wheel chair or buggy friendly resort .. stairs abound, even with the lifts they have to be negotiated to get around.
The pool area is nice, not enough sun shades and some evidence of sunbed blocking in spite of their well advertised policy which we never saw applied.
The resort is undergoing a slow 9 (Yes) year makeover up til 2016!! It looks brighter after its recent paint job. I suspect a speedier renovation would only be necessary if the customers were not captive Diamond resort timeshare members.(Think Eagles Hotel California)
Some studio rooms have been renovated and are very good, apart from the poorly designed cramped kitchens with little real work surface area, we ended up using the hob itself, shame when its supposed to be self catering. By comparison the old rooms are dark and shabby, lacking air conditioning.
Always ask for a refurbished room .. levels 5 & 6 are best for views, you may not get one but its worth a try
Rooms are equipped with flat screen TV sets which mainly show continental channels or the same news in English through various channels or American shows and films subtitled in Arabic. DVD loan is available from reception.
Generally the reception staff are good and informative and have worked there for years, as are the catering staff who work long hours.
Diamond Resorts seem to have scaled back their sales efforts at this location so you are not invited to the interminable 3 to 4 hour sales talk disguised as a chat to update you on changes to date .. that always results in you being told “you need more points”
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled between the rugged mountains and sparkling ocean, many of Cala Blanca's comfortable accommodations—which benefit from satellite TVs and feature full kitchens—enjoy wonderful views from tiered balconies of the exotic fauna and flora and volcanic craters of Gran Canaria, truly one of the last European paradise isles. Indeed, Cala Blanca is a stylish resort in an elegant and much sought after vacation location boasting tranquil days and nights along the black sand beach of Playa Taurito; sheltered by the headlands, it's the perfect place to wile away the hours. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK), Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, HRS, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Cala Blanca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Cala Blanca Hotel Mogan
- Hotel Cala Blanca
- Cala Blanca Gran Canaria/Mogan