“Absolutely perfect!”
Review of Eden Atenas

Eden Atenas
Ranked #2 of 7 Atenas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay with my 7 year old. Jan is truly gifted in hospitality and she takes her job of making you feel at home very seriously. I highly recommend this place!

Ps- if you have a head time with the smell of smoke, you might mention that when booking.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Sarah D

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I had been living in Atenas for 2 months when I found Jan and Avtar's wonderful property. We stayed in the cabina. Jan and Avtar were great hosts - when we first arrived, the cabina still didn't have wifi, so they gave us a free upgrade to the family apartment until the wifi was set up, which was amazing. I think we were the first guests they'd had in the cabina, and it was definitely a little bit more rustic... but it was perfect for us. Very bright, with beautiful views. Because we were there for a month, it was less of a bed and breakfast than I think the other rooms on the property are and more of a private apartment. Again, perfect for us and what we were looking for. The pool was great, and Jan and Avtar were always around to help if we needed anything. It's convenient to get into town if you have a car, and even though we didn't it was easy to get taxis.

The only suggestion I would have is that the cabina just needs a little more work on it because they just started renting it out, and I'm sure that will happen as they get more guests (the place could use some curtains, as it gets bright early in the morning) There's no hot water, but that was fine for us.. it's so hot in Atenas!

I was so sad to leave the little cabina, and if I return to Atenas in the future I will absolutely stay at Eden Atenas again. Thank you so much Jan and Avtar!!

Room Tip: If you're looking for a bed and breakfast, stay in the rooms in Jan and Avtar's house or in...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Last night I stayed at Eden Atanas B&B, having found them on the internet. I talked to both owners before committing and got good vibes. It has the most amazing assortment of exotic plants I could imagine, birds all around, even toucans stop there to feed off the fruit there. The room I stayed in, the Matisse room, is on the second floor overlooking the pool and beautiful tropical plants. The bed was vert comfortable, the room well appointed with solar hot water shower, no tv or a/c but that was fine for me as Atenas has one of the best climates in the world, and they do provide free internet access. The breakfast, served
on a table overlooking a lush valley, was one of the best I have ever had, and they specialize in customizing breakfasts for their guests. The owners run the place pretty much by themselves and are very attentive to their guests and are genuinely good people. Taxi from Atenas downtown was about $3.00, but I think under some circumstances they provide transportation from the airport in Alejuela. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Jan and Avtar were wonderful hosts! The rooms were in a lovely tranquil setting and the food was amazing! We enjoyed the comfortable bed and modern bathroom. Thanks for a wonderful stay and next time we intend to stay for longer

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We spent 3 days in Atenas in June 2014 and very much enjoyed our stay at Eden Atenas. The grounds are amazing but even better were the ample breakfasts served by our hosts Jan and Avtar. Jan is an amazing cook, we came away feeling full until well after lunch. One thing I must mention is the bed and linens. Comfortable beds are hard to come by in Costa Rica and for my husband who has a bad back our 21 days in Costa Rica could, at times, be quite uncomfortable for him. Eden Atenas has extremely comfortable beds and the linens felt like silk, even though they were cotton. We stayed in a guest room and the cleanliness was a 10. Jan and Avtar are from Vancouver, Canada and have a very laid back and easy way about them. Being the "rainy season" it was slower and so got to chat a lot with both of them and they were very friendly answering all our questions. Their dog Max became our adopted baby and slept outside our room most of the time. This property gave us the peace and quite we were looking for on the last leg of our trip. Thanks Jan and Avtar!!

Room Tip: Wifi is better in rooms overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Part of me wants to keep Eden Atenas as my own little secret, but Jan and Avtar deserve all the praise in the world for what they offer in this beautiful, tranquil little piece of paradise. From the gorgeous, big rooms to the amazing, customized meals, the value for money at Eden Atenas is absolutely incredible, and Jan and Avtar are wonderful hosts, making you feel truly cared for and welcomed.

As someone with a lot of special dietary needs, traveling can be a huge challenge, and I am very happy if I can find something that I can eat, never mind if it's good or not. Staying at Eden was the only time on my trip when I was able to not only stop worrying about food, but actually thoroughly enjoy it in a way that I haven't experienced when eating out in many years. Jan is one of the best cooks I've ever met (actually I think she may be the best), and I was astounded every day by the unbelievably delicious, creative and generous meals she created for me. A horticulturalist, she grows a lot of the fruit and vegetables herself, and in every meal she included all kinds of pricey alternative ingredients like flax, chia, gluten-free pasta, coconut oil, etc.

The grounds and rooms are beautiful, spacious and immaculately maintained, and the whole property has a feeling of almost absurd abundance about it. Highly recommended. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We just finished 3 nights at Eden Atenas and had a wonderful experience. Our hosts made every effort to make our stay the best possible. Our room was spacious, with a full kitchen and a wonderful deck that looks out over a river canyon, lush with native foliage. Even if we had had no view, the gardens inside are hard to describe. Jan and Avtar are superb gardeners and the grounds are lush and beautiful. Full of birds and flowering plants of all kinds. Went swimming in the pool, walked the grounds, lay in the hammock, chatted with hosts, took a long nap, you get the idea…….. As everyone has said, they make a great breakfast, and generally do a fine job. We had no worries leaving our stuff and Sat. night we came back kind of late, and it was fine and they were very nice even though we might have made a tiny bit of noise coming in…….sorry bout that J and A! You were very kind to us the whole time. Thanks again.

Room Tip: Our room was great. It was an apartment with a large bed and another separate bedroom. Since it was...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atenas
Hotel Colinas del Sol
Xandari Resort & Spa
Xandari Resort & Spa
#1 of 27 in Alajuela
Vista Atenas Bed & Breakfast

Been to Eden Atenas? Share your experiences!