“Great but pricey”

The Edge Food Store
Price range: US$7 - US$30
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: The locals favorite coffee & breakfast/lunch hot spot open 7 days, with Genovese Coffee and Full Chef house-made menu. A foodie haven with deli & unique gourmet products from all fine food regions of Australian. Fully licensed. Sensational Catering and take home meals. Alfresco dining as well as air conditioned comfort amongst the array of delicious goodies packed on the shelves. Special dietary requirements catered for.
Reviewed 6 January 2013

This used to be the only cafe to go to in Edge Hill and, living down the road, it was very handy. However it has always been very much on the expensive side (a coffee starts at $4 and goes up to $7.20... absurd! Any extras cost 60c). The food is fresh and delicious, but again very pricey. They also have a huge selection of deli products which have been marked up when compared to other places. The fact that a bunch of other cafes have opened nearby means this is no longer my first choice in Edge Hill...

Loren27, Owner at The Edge Food Store, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2013

Hi Dino
Thank you for your review. We have noticed the new restaurants and cafes popping up around Edge Hill and we are excited about Edge Hill fast becoming the premier area for restaurant and cafe dining in Cairns. Competition is great to keep you on your toes and we are thrilled that our business - sales and revenue continues to grow. I believe that this is great news and very positive for Edge Hill and all of Cairns.
Owner - The Edge Food Store

Reviewed 23 October 2012

The food is great here and the cafe is located in the hub of Edge Hill. The shop stocks some great gourmet foods (jellies, sauces, chocolates etc) and their breakfasts are divine. The coffee is really nice and I have enjoyed just about every meal I have had here.

I'm not overly keen on the amount of cyclists who have been taking over the cafe during their morning rides lately, though. The bikes all over the footpath are bad enough. Sitting next to sweaty and very loud men clad in (ill-fitting) spandex uniforms was something I would prefer to repress within my memories of visiting seedy Melbourne nightclubs in the mid-nineties rather than allowing it putting me off my Eggs Benedict.

Loren27, Owner at The Edge Food Store, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Hi Kate H
Sorry for the very belated reply, but here it is.
Thank you for your great review, albeit very funny.
The council has installed some bike racks which has helped with the bike issue. Just not sure how to handle the sweaty licra clad riders - need to be diplomatic with this one, as they are also great customers. Perhaps sit up wind or maybe in the airconditioned comfort inside :)

Thanks again
kind regards
Loren Gillison (Co-owner)

Reviewed 21 October 2012

The Edge Food Store is an amazing food heaven in the heart of Edge Hill Cairns close to the Botanical Gardens. I have been here on several occasions and the sandwiches have been truly delicious. They also brew a wonderful coffee. There are gourmet food items for sale like chutneys, relishes, chocolates, and sweet biscuits. My out of town visitors were impressed with the quality of the food on offer. The staff were friendly and the service was excellent considering the number of patrons in the cafe. I will definitely return to this wonderful eatery.

Hello Nan S
I am sorry for this belated response.
Thank you for your glowing review, I am so glad that you enjoy all that we do at The Edge Food Store and that your visitors also enjoy their experience. Thank you for your feedback and support.

(Co-owner)

Reviewed 2 September 2012

This is a great place for lunch. The food is fresh, healthy and absolutely delicious. The staff are charming and helpful and the shop is stocked with a great selection of food and lovely chocolates for an after-lunch treat. When I am next back in Cairns I shall certainly go there again.

1  Thank Rainbowoverwales
Loren27, Owner at The Edge Food Store, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Thanks for the fabulous review. We aim to please and love that you had a great experience in our cafe. Thanks for telling everyone.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We are not locals, however we are regular visitors to the Cairns region and have been visiting The Edge Food Store for the last 5 years and this place is always consistent, professional and friendly.
As expatriate Melbournians we are a bit funny about coffee, well these guys have been serving Genovese coffee for years and they know how to make it properly. As far as we are concerned there is no other place to get a decent coffee in the entirety of North Queensland. The cafe is also part high end providore and we always enjoy snooping around what they've got on the shelves (as visitors we've never bothered actually purchasing, however we do use what the Edge have stocked as a guide for what to buy at home). We have two (occassionally raucous) boys and they are always made to feel welcome here. Please don't sell out!!!!!

2  Thank wills68

Hi Wills 68
Sorry for the very delayed response.
Thank you for you wonderful review of our Food Store, you obviously have a fine eye for detail and enjoy quality and excellent food. I appreciate your very positive feedback and am thrilled that you enjoy and appreciate what we do. Thank you again, it is people like you that make The Edge Food Store such a successful business and all our hardwork worth while.
Loren Gillison (Co-owner)
P.S we are up for sale............sorry :)