“Magic - wonderful food, unique atmosphere, what an experience!”

Dining on the Rocks
Ranked #39 of 447 Restaurants in Bophut
Price range: US$25 - US$200
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, View, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Dining on the Rocks presents innovative food concepts, great service and of course that famous view and atmosphere. The brilliant architecture is ten terraced decks of weathered teak and bamboo.
Melbourne, Australia
“Magic - wonderful food, unique atmosphere, what an experience!”
Reviewed 1 October 2009

I ummed and aaahed over Dining on the Rocks after reading the most recent negative review on TA... I am so glad we followed our first instincts and went there anyway, because it was by far one of the highlights of our 5 nights on Samui.

My husband and I got the night off from our children, and wanted something special... we preferred to avoid Chaweng and though we considered Eat Sense, opted for the tranquility of Evason's gorgeous restaurant.

We have enjoyed similar 'style' restaurants in the past, having dined at numerous wonderful degustation menu restaurants over the past 6 years or so. Dining on the Rocks was up there with the best.

Yes, it's expensive, *by Thailand standards*, however I can't imagine many other opportunities to dine amongst only 6 or so other tables, to the sound of the waves crashing below, overlooking ocean, lights, feeling the caress of a gentle, cool breeze, served by staff with some of the best English skills we have encountered in Thailand so far...

We had the 6 course '6 for the senses' a very seafood based menu, with modern interpretive slants on 'traditional' smoked salmon, prawn satay, fish and chips & bcon & eggs for dessert. Tantilising to say the least, each dish was presented with a twinkle in the eye of the waiter, and surprise as we first glimpsed each dish, and then tasted & savoured each morsel. Magic! Incredibly impressive!

Wines were matched extremely well.

We would expect that the same menu in the same type of setting, atmosphere, quality & service would easily cost double what this wonderful night cost us.

The last negative review is rather surprising, particularly with hindsight. The dishes aren't what you might get at an all you can eat, steak bar or local Thai restaurant for the same price ... not in any way... they aren't huge serves, but I thought certainly large enough. The menu is quite literal... and one should not go in expecting 'Thai' value, although I do feel that the degustation menu is reasonable value. It is dark... but not so much that you can't see what you are eating... We felt the light was adequate, and also added to the element of surprise! My only complaint would be that the tables were a bit rough on sensitive skin, but they were suitably rustic!

If you are after an amazing experience, special food, wonderful memories, and price is not a significant consideration, give it a go! Enjoy it! (and take note of the sunset times - we got there a little too late, about 6:30pm, and should really have arrived at 6:00pm to enjoy the sunset properly)

1 Thank LucyAU

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mumbai
“Horribly over priced and a complete rip off”
Reviewed 31 August 2009

In the build up to our vacation in Koh Samui I read so much about the Six Senses and the fabulous dining experience at Dining on the Rocks so I thought I would save the best for last. I had also read that it was a touch on the expensive side so we thought we would indulge ourselves on our last night in Koh Samui. BIG MISTAKE!!!!

For starters the Six Senses is incredibly remotely located. A good 35 mins from Chaweng and through poorly lit areas. The thought of great food and a romantic setting however was enough motivation for us to find our way there. Restaurant looked nice with dim lighting and we were escorted to our table on the terrace. For starters the place is so badly lit that you can't see anything around you. Maybe its nicer in the day when you can actually look out at the ocean or see the "rocks" that you are apparently perched upon. Im sure that the lighting is to help create the "romantic mood" but it was just short of needing a torch to read the menu.

My husband opted for the 5 for senses set meal (2300 baht plus taxes for apparently 4 dishes and a dessert) and I opted to go ala carte and ordered the Salmon Teriyaki Starter (590 baht) and the Paella (570 baht). As each course arrived my husband and I couldn't help but stare at each in bewliderment and eventually we would just start laughing as each course arrived. His first course was supposed to be scallops and pumpkin sauce. let me rephrase that it was A SINGLE scallop with a trail of pumpkin sauce. HUGE crockery featuring one solitary scallop in the centre. My salmon arrived - suffice to say that each piece of salmon (there were 2) was no larger than a cube of cheese.

I promptly called the waiter and ordered another main course dish to go with my 2 bite sized appetizers. "Chicken burrito leftover from tomorrow" was the choice i made. Bad mistake. Not only did it look nothing like a chicken burrito - it tasted nothing like one either. Apparently the chef believed that a burrito should not be eaten with a wrap or more than 2 drops of refried beans!

Don't get me wrong the food all tasted good and was fancily presented with the Thai waiter briefing you about each dish (different matter that you couldn't understand a word of what he said) but you couldnt help but feeling cheated.

We ate at some of the nicer restaurants in Samui (Zicos, Rice, Prego, Eat Sense) and none of them left you with a bad taste in the mounth (or empty pockets) as this place did. 6600 baht for 2 still hungry people with 2 cocktails each is what we paid and I cannot express strongly enough what a waste of money it was. Oh did I mention that while we were there it started raining so we had to move indoors ruining the one good thing about the place as well - the ambience.

1 Thank thevacationists