“Ten fabulous days”
Review of Absolute Sanctuary

Absolute Sanctuary
Ranked #25 of 224 Speciality Lodging in Bophut
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I am still feeling wonderful a month after returning to wintery Melbourne. Absolute Sanctuary is a lovely low key destination where there are a range of diet options and plenty of support. The staff are charming and the rooms extremely comfortable. I also did a daily class of yoga (plenty of classes to choose from each day) and a massage. I learned a lot from this experience, not only about eating well, but also about the incredible benefit of relaxation in a healthy environment with plenty of sun.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Absolute Sanctuary

Reviewed 16 August 2012

My 18 year old daughter and I traveled to Absolute Sanctuary in July 2012. I did a lot of research before booking the trip because we were looking for a Detox Spa. I wanted it to be a reputable place run by professionals. We chose the 7 day Cleanse/Detox with the 3 day pre-cleanse and a 2.5 day post-cleanse. While there, I remarked several times that it turned out to be exactly what I had hoped for. Whether choosing from the regular menus or the various Detox menus (raw or vegetarian) the food was fresh, creative and tasty. I had never attempted a detox/cleanse so I expected to be pretty hungry during those 7 days. As it turned out, I wasn't and I think it was due to the steady schedule of detox drinks that we were allowed. We also made colon-hydrotherapy part of our plan. Well, that first day ain't for the faint of heart. Simply put, it just doesn't feel good to have liquids (purified water, coffee, apple cider vinegar, probiotics) streamed into your colon. That's just a fact. However, it gets easier with each session and there is a noticeable feeling of lightness as you progress through the sessions. The staff was professional and every inch of this resort is CLEAN. I was so impressed by that. The rooms are not luxurious but they are definitely adequate. This isn't the Park Hyatt, it's a wellness resort in Thailand. In my research, I did find resorts offering similar services that appeared to have more luxurious surroundings but they also cost $2-4 K more. Spa services were first rate. As part of our program, we were treated to a massage nearly everyday. Yoga classes were well taught and the Yoga space (The Jungle) is large and lovely and again, clean. We had consultations at the beginning and end of our program which focused on individual health issues and goals. I would suggest only a few things to the management at Absolute Sanctuary. First, I have to concur with other reviewers that the resort is really short on lounge chairs by the pool. I only mention it because it seems like such an easy fix. I believe I counted 13 total and although we were there off-season (highly recommended) there were a few times when no lounges were available. (The resort hosts a fair amount of Yoga groups. They are very busy with their training but do use resort facilities and that is when there isn't enough seating around the pool). Lighting in the bathroom. Perhaps atmospheric lighting is just some trend these days and I'm out of the loop? I can't seem to stay anywhere that has enough bathroom lighting to allow me to keep my eyebrows in shape and prevent me from sporting a "woman-stache" during my stay. Up the lights people! Even during detox, a lady likes to do some maintenance! This is not a resort for children. It is really a very quiet and simple place. Kids would be bored stiff. The staff is great though there is a communication problem with many of them. I think it would help guests to have employees who are comfortable speaking and understanding English at the front desk, at least. In other areas of the resort, it just doesn't matter that much and it just helps to keep your sense of humor. For instance, my schedule showed that I was supposed to take an herbal laxative. I approached the employee at the pool bar where I had been told to go and it only resulted in him pretty much saying the word "laxative" in a very loud voice to every employee in the immediate area. Then they all started saying "laxative". Proximity to the airport is excellent. Truly, it is no more than 10 minutes away and no, there was no airplane noise. I would do it again.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs, this may not be the resort for you. There are no ramps and all room...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank TingNa
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Didn't stay here but joined two yoga class here, I was searching for yoga practice while staying in samui n this place seems to be my best choice, the website is very professional n detailed, when I emailed them, I got reply the next day.

For drop in is 650thb per class, 3 class is 1200thb, I joined the restorative class n ashtaga Vinyasa class, both very good, the instructors r both very detailed n explained every posture n helpful. The jungle yoga room is big n bright surrounded by trees so it's very pleasant n peaceful while practicing.

I toured around in the hotel for a bit, the spa center is nice n large, the pool is big n has the mountain view, the restaurant has free computer for Internet n also many books, there is also a gym next to the yoga studio, n the hotel has many different detox program, the whole place is very peaceful n quiet, I believe it is a good choice for detox/diet/exercise. But not for someone want to party, coz they don't serve alcohol, and all the dishes r light n healthy.

The area is very quiet n exclusive, there are only other big luxury resorts n hotels in the area, the closeted street with shops n 711 is 5 mins away by moto bike. They have free shuttles to chaweng a few times every day though.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank justjuliet
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Escape from crowded and kids' noise. Here is the good place for us. No family group with noisy kids and No smoking smell annoyed us. The real healthful hotel. But package seems very expensive. But if you have a lot of time package yoga in a week or 6 times was not much.

Room Tip: Have some more things to do because nothing to do. You can lean yourself on beach chair to see the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I took the the 3-Day Detox Signature Package:

First off, this resort is located in Koh Samui, Thailand. Your experience starts as soon as you take your first step out of the airplane upon landing in Koh Samui. The beautiful sun, the jungle backdrop and the resort looking airport! Truly a great start. I was greeted by the driver from the Resort, who was well spoken and absolutely friendly.

As I arrived to the resort, which is set away from the main road, you enter the dirt road surrounded by nature and a security gate, I was already feeling rested and secure. The first night was simply learning about the resort. It all begun the next morning, meeting with the professional consultant to discuss my lifestyle and how to improve it, as well as explaining into more detail what my body will go through in the coming days.

There's no need for me to go into more detail on the next few days, but the resort and its facilities and staff were all 5 star, the yoga was just mesmerizing, set in a glass room surrounded by nature. Absolute went into in-depth detail to ensure consistency across the whole experience.

One nice extra was that you can rent scooters via the hotel. The pricing is just a little higher than if you go into town and rent, but when you're in town they will ask you to leave them your passport. With the hotel, you don't need to. I took the scooter out visiting nearby towns and beaches. Not too far away is Bo Phut, it has a beautiful beach where you can get cheap massages right on the beach!

Well... I can say that I lost a few pounds, which wasn't the main mission. I felt truly cleansed, the yoga was another amazing experience which I will never forget. I am hopefully returning soon.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank zkhoja
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I needed to escape the host of bad health and stress issues of life back home, and was absolutely blown away by this place, a pristine retreat in beautiful surrounds. We each did separate packages, an ultimate detox and a rejuvenation package, and were absolutely amazed at the range of spa treatments that were included -- DAILY -- into the package. The staff were so friendly and attended to our every need. I loved the yoga classes, but more than anything I have gained a perspective on health and wellbeing that will change my habits back home. We left refreshed, significantly healthier, almost new people! I will definitely be back and can't speak highly enough of the package programs to anyone who is seeking a holiday to recover, unwind and improve their health and wellbeing at the same time.

This trip really was probably the best gift I've ever given myself!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank NikT-Australia
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We didn’t stay here but we had several hours before our flight departed so we
spent the afternoon at Absolute Sanctuary. It’s only 5 min from the Koh Samui airport so it was really convenient. For 650 Baht you can use their beautiful infinity pool, sauna, lockers and you can take a yoga class in one of their nice studios. We had lunch at the Love Kitchen and while the food was good- it’s all organic and detoxer friendly- but it was overpriced in our opinion. Very peaceful place to spend an afternoon.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Janine M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Health Oasis Resort
#2 of 12 in Taling Ngam
Sea Dance Resort
Sea Dance Resort
#4 of 184 in Bophut

Been to Absolute Sanctuary? Share your experiences!