“a true sanctuary !! Fantastic retreat” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Absolute Sanctuary

Absolute Sanctuary
Ranked #28 of 215 Speciality Lodging in Bophut
“a true sanctuary !! Fantastic retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I absolutely loved every minute of my stay at the Absolute Sanctuary in Samui. My main purpose was to do yoga, relax, have time for me and detox: I accomplished all of them!. This hotel is surrounded by trees, not by the beach ( although they have a free shuttle for Choeng Mon and Chaweng at different times during the day) which added a sense of isolation. it is small and there is a no alcohol, no smoking, no drugs, no children policy, excellent if you want to relax. The yoga sessions are good:different styles, levels, teachers so even when I was doing 5h of yoga a day, I did not feel bored. The teachers were experienced and offered me challenge and support to enhance my practice, after 10days I could see results in my body.
My room was lovely! I strongly recommend to get some of the rooms that have sea view and a balcony. Lots of room and a very comfy bed. Stable wifi.
Staff are helpful and they are very willing, although some of them have very basic English.
the food was a welcoming surprise; very healthy and fresh. I was not in a detox program so I have access to the whole menu:yummy. Juices are by far the best I have tried in Thailand.
As mentioned, the shuttle to the two beaches work very well, although they are not sincronised with the yoga classes. Drivers were punctual and very polite.
I could not recommend you Absolute Sanctuary enough if you want to have a "healthy break". If you are not interested in any of their programs, better to stay anywhere else in the island, as you may find the hotel Boring and too secluded.
Finally, the guests, I was travelling on my own and I met lovely people. Everybody was polite, friendly, and considerate. My only regret is that there isn't an Absolute Sanctuary in South Europe. Thank you and keep up the good job!

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Cristina S
absanc, General Manager at Absolute Sanctuary, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Cristina,

Thank you very much for your review posted on TripAdvisor.com. On behalf of the team, I'm more than happy to hear that you enjoyed the stay at Absolute Sanctuary.

It's always good to see guests achieved the goal or meet their expectation.

I will definitely share this nice comments with the team.

Thank you once again for sharing your comment with other travelers.

Wipa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

It is my first attempt at detoxification and Absolute provided a good complete program for my retreat. If you are looking for a 5-star hotel setting, this is not the place, but it has all the essential amenities and services that is enough to make the stay comfortable.

It’s a simple set up with friendly service staff, experienced doctors and nurses and fitness instructors. Personally I think it has everything I needed for a detox program. Being a first timer, I was initially concerned that I may not be able complete the 5-day juice fasting program without a struggle, however, it turned out to be a very positive experience. Now I see my eating habit in a totally different light!

I will definitely want to go back again. It’s worth it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank prisleegl
absanc, General Manager at Absolute Sanctuary, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time writing the review on TripAdvisor.com.
We are glad to hear that you achieved the goal and enjoyed the Juice Fast Program.

I will definitely share the nice comments to our team which i believe this will help them keep up the good work.

Thank you once again to share your experience with other travelers.

Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I now have 14 days non stop practicing yoga. 2 classes every day ! jana is an incredibly good yoga teacher with a lot Knowledge ! what bothers me is the yin and restorative yoga classes are not offered as final. yesterday I was first in restorative yoga and than in absolute fit . Result .... I could not sleep. would be nice if you would change that. And i know this also from other guest.....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
absanc, General Manager at Absolute Sanctuary, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments and glad to hear that you enjoyed our yoga classes.
With the class schedule, we always look into this to make a suitable class to our clients.

We will certainly look into this and see if the adjustment could be possible.

Bournemouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I travelled alone in early May and tried the 10 day juicing programme/living food programme which allowed me to lose 6 kilos in weight without feeling drained and in need of another holiday. The whole team tries to make your stay as easy as possible. The massages are superb as are the visiting European therapists especially Pascal who sorted my shoulders out with his Shiatsu treatments. The accommodation is comfortable without being overly fussy. Ideal for lovers of yoga and pilates too.

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms are ideal unless who want to climb lots of steps to the more expensive rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank GerryTYM
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience at Absolute Sanctuary & Yoga Center with other travelers.

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed the stay and our detox program meet with your expectation.

I will definitely share your comments to our team and Pascal, our practitioner who will be more than happy to hear this.

Look forward to welcoming you again in the futue.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

My wife and I found this pearl of a health retreat on the web through TripAdvisor. We stayed for 8 nights and loved every second of our stay. Everything from the reception; to the room; the juice bar; the pool; the Love Kitchen; the Spa; Yoga and or Pilates and Personal Trainer sessions was excellent. The staff was very friendly and the majority knowledgeable and skilful in their area of expertise. Both of us are returning rejuvenated homewards. My wife was on the Weight Management Programme and I was on the B-Fit programme, both of us lost 3 kilo’s in a week time . We can also highly recommend a cooking lesson from the chefs at the Love Kitchen. We also had the joy of Dr Will joining us for the session and explaining the breakdown of the dishes. Just Do It! AOPBLOM @ Dubai

Room Tip: Alle kamers zijn top!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alexander B
absanc, General Manager at Absolute Sanctuary, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time share your experience to other travelers on TripAdvisor.com.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed both Weight Management and Be Fit Program. These two programs have become more popular as we are trying to help each guest achieve their goals or at least a good kick start to lose weight or maintain and develop strength for the body.

I will share these nice comments to the team and believe this will help them keep up a good work.

Look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

This was a 7 day Pilates boot camp with various massage treatments each day. The staff are amazing and work incredibly hard to make your stay as good as it can be. The therapists are seriously good, esp having been at some big name spas in the UK and had very poor service, not the case here. The food is excellent too but don't book yourself on a detox stay and then give the staff a hard time because you are hungry, it's not their fault if you book a week of juices thinking you will drop a dress size in 5 minutes. It's easy to be on a treadmill of fitness sessions and treatments, pool and meals as your day can fill up pretty easily and you see nothing of the island. It's very easy to hire a bike or moped and potter around the island or take a day out on a power boat to Ang Thong their marine national park and hike or kayak, it's stunning. Pilates was good but very full on, it really boot camp and probably reflects the style taught in Bangkok rather than what we are used to in the UK. My only criticism of absolute sanctuary is the rooms, there are only 38 but they are small and there is nowhere to put clothes. We are all living out of our suitcases which is getting tedious and very noisy air con or you bake in your bed. My sea view would be if I leaned over the balcony. Then the room gets too hot. The moorish style is definitely done on a shoe string. I was told it was simple..well read basic for that!! Most guests do keep to themselves but you could easily come here on your own without any issues at all, many people seem to. It's very small which makes it easy to get to all your treatments and not be rushing on a larger site.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JenD60
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write your review on TripAdvisor. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our Pilates Reformer BootCamp Holiday Package which we just launched recently.

I will share the comments to the team and believe the staff will be very happy to hear this.

Look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Wipa Nareerak
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a quiet and remote location but only about 10min drive from Samui airport. They offer a free transfer and a friendly driver picked us up in an air conditioned van with complimentary bottles of cool water which was a nice touch.

We booked one of their suites (121) which is basically just a bigger room with an extra seating area and a balcony with sea view. Try to get one on the top floor as the view is much better and the ceilings are higher. There is a kettle in the room but no tea or coffee is provided which is a little odd. The mattress on the bed was very hard and although they put an extra one on top at our request, it still felt rather uncomfortable and we unfortunately did not sleep very well during our 6 night stay. There is a small flat screen TV and DVD player in the room and you can chose DVDs for free from their library at reception. Overall the room was nice and very clean with air condition.

The facilities in the hotel are all very well maintained, the pool is of decent size and the spa and gym are of high quality.

The hotel offers several detox and relaxing packages. We booked the 5 day yoga programme which included amongst other things free yoga classes, 3 healthy vegetarian meals and 2 freshly made fruit juices a day plus a daily Thai or Aroma massage. Our yoga instructor Jana was fantastic and made getting up at 8am in order to attend a detox yoga class at 8:30am a real pleasure. We also tried their new Pilates Reformer classes which they currently offer to very reduced induction rates and found Michael a very patient and competent teacher.
The Spa is great and I highly recommend one of their open air Thai massages or an in-room aroma massage at the end of the day.
The only thing we felt was a bit of a waste of time was the free health consultation they offer. We were asked to fill out a form at arrival and provided lots of information via email at the point of booking. However, when my partner and me met Dr. Will for our consultation, he was not prepared at all and basically looked at our questionnaires for the first time. The time of the consultation meeting (3 days into our 6 day stay) was also a little odd as we would have expected this to be on our first day. In the end the whole session was more a chat and we did not draw any real value out if it which was rather disappointing. Judging from this experience, I am not sure how medically sound the other programmes on offer are ( detox, anti-stress/ burnout) but would definitely recommend the yoga package as the classes were excellent.

The food in the restaurant is absolutely delicious and the service was very friendly - especially Patty has been an absolute darling! However, one other thing we found rather irritating was that although we had paid for 3 meals a day, we could only order from the vegetarian, yoga menu although meals on the other menus were more or less the same price. The staff were not empowered to make any decisions about this themselves which we found frustrating. I personally think management should show some more flexibility here as this would improve the guest experience even further.

Overall, the Absolute Sanctuary is the perfect place for any single or couple traveller who is looking for a quiet retreat with healthy food, daily exercise and some quality spa treatments in beautiful surroundings but without the frills of a 5 star luxury hotel. We would definitely come back for another yoga holiday in the future!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Heichdhu
absanc, General Manager at Absolute Sanctuary, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time writing the review on TripAdvisor.
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the stay at Absolute Sanctuary & Yoga Center right from the pick up service.

For other points that you mentioned, i will share with the team in order to help improve the services. We are getting the comfort mattress to put on top of our bed in the suite. We believe it will be more comfortable. And with regards for the meals under Yoga Program, the staff actually brought this up to my intention if the guest requested any different menu. We actually worked with our Nutritionist to design the menu for each package. However, from time to time we have guest requested for swapping some items which we are flexible for this.

And for your consultation, I'm extremely sorry to hear this and will speak to Dr.Will.

Lastly, i will share your compliment to Jana, Michael and Patty. I believe this will help them keep up a good work.

Thank you once again for sharing your stay with other travelers.

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Health Oasis Resort
#3 of 187 in Bophut
Kanda Residences
Kanda Residences
#62 of 187 in Bophut

Been to Absolute Sanctuary? Share your experiences!