“Not the best”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bophut
Coconut Grove Samui
Ranked #183 of 227 Speciality Lodging in Bophut
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Coconut grove wasn’t the best hotel we have stayed in, the rooms weren’t all too clean, all it needs is a coat of paint. The hotel was is a good location if you want the night life, but if you are wanting somewhere quite I wouldn’t recommend this hotel, as where could still hear the music until 3-4am, but it didn’t bother us, because we went for the night life any way.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 February 2012

stayed here in january 2012. When i was asleep in my room, my room was broken into, my money and mobile phone was stolen. I should have realised when checking in that this is the only hotel i have visited in thailand that doesnt take a copy of your passport that means they have no record of who is staying there.
when i complained to the reception, they said that nobody had keys to the rooms. when the police arrived (at my insistance) the staff in the room next to mine opened my door,,,,, you have been warned.. do not stay here.. stay at Ark Bar next door.. they take copies of passports for security and have cctv... do not stay at coconut grove

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I had great time there.. Chaweng beach and Ark Bar just behind the hotel. I had great time hanging out there at noon, afternoon, nite... there is swimming pool too.
I heard their management has been taken by Ark Bar group.. i guess we can use Ark Bar pool too :p
The room is clean with wooden wall and floor, there is tv, refrigerator, working hot water.. good restaurant and nitelife are within walking distance.
One downside is that when i took a shower too long, the water would flood whole floor in the bathroom and got in to the bedroom. it happened once and the water made wet some of my stuffs ><" but they cleaned it soon.
I love my stay there. Hopefully they still give the same rate next time.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Ive been staying at Mandalay a few times, and aprox 30days total.
The rooms have everything you need, AC or fan, fridge, TV
Clean rooms.
The cleaning is good and the laundry service is fast and cheap.

Saftybox in reception (you cannot acess your box between 22:00 - 07:00 because the reception is closed)
Free Wifi in reception (and some rooms near reception). Or you can use the computer they have for a 1bath/minute.

If you have a guest over the night you have to pay 200bath to the guard, and they take name etc on the ID-card on your guest.
The location is great, near beach near bars near everything :).

The only thing i did not like was that breakfast was to expensive. but you can easly bargain and get the breakfast included in the price of the room.

Room Tip: Rooms near reception have wifi.
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I'm reluctant to give a review for this place because it really is a hidden gem. The first time I stayed here was a couple of years ago, the first time I visited Thailand. I arrived in Samui late at night with no accommodation and the taxi driver suggested it. We were a group of fella's and we paid for one night just to bed down until we found somewhere else. That night we got involved in the famous Wednesday party outside Ark Bar next door The following morning we paid for the next 10 days and didn't budge. But let's get one thing straight from the offset; the charm of the Mandalay isn't in the no-frills, rustic bamboo bungalows that the venue is comprised of; it isn't the small little dunking pool next to the kitchen that serves the mediocre food; it isn't in the fact that the lights or the air-con or the fan don't always work, or the shower might not always give you hot water. The charm of the Mandalay is that once you've settled in, realise that you're in the heart of Chaweng with a cash machine, chemist and moped rental on your doorstep, with the best beach party in the resort going off every night next door at Ark Bar; you genuinely feel at home. It's jsut so casual and relaxed (as long as you don't act like a complete d**k)

The head guard (spitting image of Jackie Chan) doesn't say much, but once he get's to know you he'll protect you from rogue traders and ensure any goods you lose that are found are then returned. Puyi, the head receptionist is just an angel. The big double beds in the room are comfy, and the air con (once it's working) does the job. I guarantee you won't find anywhere with aircon and a location like this for the price in such a good location on Chaweng. There's even free safe storage in the reception. The one downside about this place is that, although the beach is nice by standard standards, by Thai standard's it's not the best. Sure the sea is clear and blue and rushes right up the hotel doorsteps in the morning, but the seabed outside the Mandalay is rocky, so be warned. if you're going to go swimming out to see, stroll on up 20 meters or so or you're going to stub your toe! That said, it's perfectly good to go our for a dip when you've been laying out in the sun for hours (did I mention that even the sunbeds are free?)

This is definately not the place if you're away with the wife or girlfriend and want that low priced Thai paradise comfort; but if you and your mates want your own individual bungalow at a price that you can afford for a few days, a week - a month (I met a young Australian guy who'd been living their for 18 months) you can't do much better... Sorry I mentioned it now, I bet it's full next time I go ;-)

Room Tip: Don't be a d**k, show respect to the owners and they'll look after you.
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank BeasleyGreen
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I found this place by mistake in 2005 it was great then and has now upgraded it's rooms and area around the hotel as well. Had small room but it's own house. Had good a/c but broke but was fixed asap when I told Manager, she was awesome. Rained like crazey for 2 days but my room very dry. Close the the beach and the Ark Bar. They have killer food and good drinks. Love the nite dining in front on the beach w/fireworks and all. Also close to all night life there is in town and food at all hours of the night. Since 2005 I have stayed here 4 times and will always stay here when in town. Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Location wise, great for beach and main street! Friendly owner but a hard bargainer. Only got it down to 750 baht not including breakfast.
Had all the amenities like fridge, air-con and fan. No hot water working in either our cabin or our friend's. Were due to be fixed the day after we left, of course.
Make sure you change the Red/Green coloured signs for them to clean your room. They leave them on Red and will only clean room if you swap it to green. Sneaky.

Both us and friend had our bags rummaged through. We always set our combination locks to a particular code ie 007. If its changed much then you know someone's had a go at cracking it.
My own locks had been tampered with as one was pretty much falling apart.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple