“Marketa Made It Great” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
Singapore
“Marketa Made It Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Having previously stayed in Koh Samui at a well-known hotel chain, I was slightly nervous about trying out a small boutique hotel that I had never heard of (even if it was 5 stars). In fact, I was prepared to dislike it before I even arrived, so that I wouldn't be too disappointed.

After one of the hotel's drivers picked us up at the airport, we had a pleasant drive through Fisherman's Village, which is a fun place to buy clothing and knickknacks. Hansar is literally a 5 minute walk from Fisherman's Village and I was pleased with its proximity to both the beach and shopping (my two favorite things).

Our arrival at Hansar was fine. The lobby isn't remarkable. It is pleasant, but unremarkable. We were immediately taken up to our room, where the check-in was conducted. There was a giant plate of premium cold cuts waiting for us, along with a delicious bread basket, a bottle of wine and some fruit. It was so nice that someone had taken the time to add this extra little touch. We were tired and hungry after our flight and, due to what had been placed in our room, we were able to eat lunch in our room within one minute of arriving.

There was a large balcony outside of our room with a gorgeous view of the ocean. A fan kept you from getting too hot. It seemed like the perfect place to spend a day reading, if you didn't want to go down to the pool. It was silent.

The bed was comfortable and the rest of the room was nice, but unremarkable. There was a giant walk-in rainshower (the size of a small bedroom) with gorgeous stonework all around it. This was my favorite feature in the room. The bathroom sink was unusual and cool as well.

The mini bar was stocked with sweets from Dean&Deluca, which was a complete treat for me. I happily paid for the right to eat yummy chocolate malt balls while staring at the Gulf of Thailand.

The gym was a good size, nice and cool, with a good variety of cardio machines and free weights. The gym hours should be longer than they are, 24 hours would be nice, but that is my only criticism of the gym.

We went to Happy Hour at the bar next to the pool and took advantage of the buy one, get one free promo that they had. I had 2 Gin and Tonics and felt perfectly happy while sitting on the illuminated stone barstools.

It was the Festival of Lights and we walked down to Hansar's beach to light a giant lantern and watch it float away into darkness over the Gulf of Thailand. It was magical.

My favorite part of Hansar, though, was meeting an employee named Marketa. She was the only person in the hotel that understand me clearly (I speak really fast). It seemed like many of the Thai employees would stare at me and say, "yes" to everything I said, without having any idea what I was saying or asking for. Marketa, while not being a native English speaker, spoke English as good as me (I'm American). I think she was from Eastern Europe; she had a light accent. I had no idea what to do in Koh Samui, outside of the hotel, because the last time I went to Koh Samui was for work. Marketa explained everything that I could do on the island and gave me several great recommendations for shopping, restaurants, etc. She was incredibly cheerful, even when wearing a hotel-issued outfit that seemed ridiculous for the heat, always laughing. I felt like I had a friend at the hotel, once I met Marketa.

Overall, my stay at Hansar far exceeded my expectations. I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mmejetsetter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

We always use TA to chose our hotels and once again it didn't let us down with the Hansar Samui. It is a superb hotel in every possible way. Location is super, on the beach and just a few minutes stroll from Fishermans Village and some great restaurants and bars. The hotel layout is really well done with all rooms facing the sea and overlooking the pool. Staff are not intrusive but always there to serve. One interesting first for us was the bedrooms open plan shower!

Overall, nothing but praise for this excellent hotel.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Rob20042004
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

I stayed at the Hansar Samui for 5 days following a 7 day detox clinic. The hotel is just lovely, room perfect and staff fantastic.

My sister and her family our now going over following my rave reviews.

Room Tip: I had a room on the top floor (3 levels) which looked straight out onto the beach, pool and beach ba...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Sue M
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

It was our honeymoon and the hotel staff did a great job in making it special. Rose petals on our bed, and they surprised us with a very delicious tiramisu cake!

Our review in a nutshell:

Pluses:
New and modern
Every room has a seaview
Heavenly beds
Good service staff (very helpful and efficient)
Provides vehicle rental at reasonable price
Nice pool
Quiet and clean beach (compared to Patong)

Minuses:
It's a hotel and not a resort
Limited activities (we joined the cooking class and went for spa treatment at the Anantara Resort which is just next door - superb!)
Although beach is clean, visibility in the water is poor
Food is overpriced (try Sala Thai, Bophut Resort for affordable Royal Thai Cuisine)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AnnaLiew
europe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

after having been in the Hansar twice (see my reviews) with my beloved wife, and, once in addition, with my daughter, I spent another 5 great days at the resort. Many great things have been said about the resort, and I do confirm, that indeed is a great place run by general manager Khun Indra. What I like so much is the fact that when enjoying my holiday there I can recharge my 'batteries' to 100%, it's a haven of tranquility and relaxation, with staff around that pamper the guests. The staff's English has improved a lot - they are given classes on a regular basis. What always makes my stay there most enjoyable is the fact that you don't have to worry about anything, you are being pampered, being taken care of, you yourself just have to enjoy the resort. Each and everybody are trying to make your stay an unforgettable one.
A great dinner in the Hansar's H-Bistro, enjoying Stephen Dion's delights, or epicurean experiences, to be more precise, made my day every day. I simply love the place - it's my perfect way to relax - will be back coming april.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank wolf1050
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

My husband and I are very fussy travellers and are very critical when it comes to 4/5* hotels; this hotel is truly amazing. We spent alot of time deliberating over whether to book the Hansar or Anantara (next door), after going to see the Anantara we were more than satisfied with our choice of staying at the Hansar.
The location was excellent - a few minutes walk from fishermans village where the food was outstanding and so fresh - this place is a sea food lovers heaven (even if you're not a sea food fan there's pizza, steak and loads of other restaurants to try)
The hotel was beautiful with modern rooms, a lovely balcony, an amazing open shower area and some good english tv channels for when you fancy spending an hour or so indoors.
Sitting in the jaccuzi of the infinity pool was amazing; just staring out into the sea, sipping on wonderful cocktails was heavenly or you could go and do a light work out in the well equipped gym with its own ipod docking system!
Food at the Hansar was some of the best we've ever had – especially the breakfasts. There was always so much variety that you had to have something different everyday (fresh eggs made to order, pancakes, waffles, fruits, salads, cheeses, meats, thai breakfasts, cereals, deserts, the list goes on)
The staff were brilliant – nothing was ever too much trouble. A big thanks to A, Sam, Bird, Mik – all of you completed our holiday and really looked after us (Mr Vik and Miss Marti)
I could go on and on for pages and pages but the other reviews say it all – you really don’t need to spend too much time thinking about staying here (we spent weeks reading reviews!). I would go back every year if Thailand wasn't so far away - this hotel is one of the finest and the staff are a credit to its name.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marti40
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

From the moment you first see the view from this property, you know you made a great decision. Bophut Bay looking out over Koh Phangnan and Koh Som is probably the best view in all of Samui. Every single room in this resort as well as the huge pool, enjoys the same view.

The rooms are adequate in size and the beds are unbelievably comfortable. Its not a big resort, but it is a special one. From the moment you arrive and Sam the front desk manager and his staff great you, you know you made the right decision in picking this resort.

Try having dinner on the beach, its truly a great romantic experience. Nothing bad to say about this quaint little resort. I'm a frequent travelor and this place continuously has my business. I'll be back in Samui for the Christmas holiday and the Hansar will be my hotel of choice.

Hopefully you'll enjoy your stay as much as i did, thanks for everything HANSAR and see you again soon

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple