Having previously stayed in Koh Samui at a well-known hotel chain, I was slightly nervous about trying out a small boutique hotel that I had never heard of (even if it was 5 stars). In fact, I was prepared to dislike it before I even arrived, so that I wouldn't be too disappointed.
After one of the hotel's drivers picked us up at the airport, we had a pleasant drive through Fisherman's Village, which is a fun place to buy clothing and knickknacks. Hansar is literally a 5 minute walk from Fisherman's Village and I was pleased with its proximity to both the beach and shopping (my two favorite things).
Our arrival at Hansar was fine. The lobby isn't remarkable. It is pleasant, but unremarkable. We were immediately taken up to our room, where the check-in was conducted. There was a giant plate of premium cold cuts waiting for us, along with a delicious bread basket, a bottle of wine and some fruit. It was so nice that someone had taken the time to add this extra little touch. We were tired and hungry after our flight and, due to what had been placed in our room, we were able to eat lunch in our room within one minute of arriving.
There was a large balcony outside of our room with a gorgeous view of the ocean. A fan kept you from getting too hot. It seemed like the perfect place to spend a day reading, if you didn't want to go down to the pool. It was silent.
The bed was comfortable and the rest of the room was nice, but unremarkable. There was a giant walk-in rainshower (the size of a small bedroom) with gorgeous stonework all around it. This was my favorite feature in the room. The bathroom sink was unusual and cool as well.
The mini bar was stocked with sweets from Dean&Deluca, which was a complete treat for me. I happily paid for the right to eat yummy chocolate malt balls while staring at the Gulf of Thailand.
The gym was a good size, nice and cool, with a good variety of cardio machines and free weights. The gym hours should be longer than they are, 24 hours would be nice, but that is my only criticism of the gym.
We went to Happy Hour at the bar next to the pool and took advantage of the buy one, get one free promo that they had. I had 2 Gin and Tonics and felt perfectly happy while sitting on the illuminated stone barstools.
It was the Festival of Lights and we walked down to Hansar's beach to light a giant lantern and watch it float away into darkness over the Gulf of Thailand. It was magical.
My favorite part of Hansar, though, was meeting an employee named Marketa. She was the only person in the hotel that understand me clearly (I speak really fast). It seemed like many of the Thai employees would stare at me and say, "yes" to everything I said, without having any idea what I was saying or asking for. Marketa, while not being a native English speaker, spoke English as good as me (I'm American). I think she was from Eastern Europe; she had a light accent. I had no idea what to do in Koh Samui, outside of the hotel, because the last time I went to Koh Samui was for work. Marketa explained everything that I could do on the island and gave me several great recommendations for shopping, restaurants, etc. She was incredibly cheerful, even when wearing a hotel-issued outfit that seemed ridiculous for the heat, always laughing. I felt like I had a friend at the hotel, once I met Marketa.
Overall, my stay at Hansar far exceeded my expectations. I would go back in a heartbeat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated just 10 minutes from the Island's International airport, Bophut Beach's newest 5 Star Resort features 74 luxuriously appointed rooms with unobstructed ocean views, free wireless internet access and oversize balconies. A leisurely stroll down the quaint cobblestone 'walking street' adjacent to the resort, is the vibrant Fisherman's Village, with its antique wooden shop fronts, chic cafes and atmospheric seaside bars. The name Hansar is taken from the ancient Sanskrit language and translates to mean happiness and joy. The concept and philosophy of Hansar Samui is to deliver an experience to each guest that is happy, memorable and enjoyable. Hansar Samui is about living life in full colour and finding joy in every moment. Hansar Samui offers luxurious, beachfront, spacious accommodation with unobstructed sea views from every room, and supersize private balconies and oversize daybeds for outdoor living and entertaining. Open plan yet intimate, each room has been artfully finished with teak floors, terrazzo bathrooms and local textiles to provide a sense of place. Chic custom furnishings, large flat screen TVs balance the design's natural touches with a modern flair. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Hansar Samui Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hansar Samui Hotel Bophut
- Hansar Samui Resort Ko Samui/Bophut