Stayed here for 4 nights in Nov. Upon arriving into the hotel at 10pm from Bangkok, we were informed that the pool would be closed for maintenance on our 2nd day there for 2 weeks. Was quite shocked to hear this as I had no prior knowledge that the pool would shut down. When I asked why we were not told this, their answer was simply it was posted on the website or your travel agent should have told you. Since I booked directly with the hotel, I would have expected them to send me an email to advise me in advance, which they didn't....a 5* hotel would have sent an email notice in advance.
As an alternative they arranged for us to have access to the hotel pool next door at the Anatarya. The pool next door was nice, not as nice as the spectacular pool at hansar (the pool was the main reason I booked this hotel). The pool staff next door were nice, but again i just felt like a visitor there and not a guest.
Anyways we enjoyed the hotel pool to the fullest on the day that it was open when we were there. It was lovely. The rooms were nice, comfortable. TV was good as well. Mini bar was quite expensive, I think we paid $5 cdn for a bottle of water upon arrival (my bf was very thirsty and we couldn't find any water in the room (although it was there we just missed it)).
Breakfast was good, take a table outside the view is great. We had 1 lunch at the hotel. I had a chicken caesar and my boyfriend had the pasta. He enjoyed his pasta. My salad was ok- chicken was not actually chicken breast but rather like a sliced chicken that you would put in a sandwich and bacon did not taste real. Lunch was also quite expensive. All of our other meals were bought in the nearby fisherman's village, which is located just outside the hotel to the right side of the beach. Village was charming.
Tip, there will be some thai men standing right out side the entrance to the hotel and he will ask you to complete a survey for free. This will be used to try and sell you timeshare later. They use the survey information and take it back to the hotel you are staying at. We gave false information, i.e. false room number etc... but some how the 'reception' connected them to the right room. To me, a 5* hotel should not be giving out your information to a local to try and sell you stuff directly over the phone to your room. they ask you to come and speak to them in reception because you are the grand prize winner of a week's free stay -- yea right! :S
Another dodgy thing about this hotel is that one of the receptionists who checked us in was selling stuff as a 'beach vendor' the next day. Her husband is also one of the beach vendors and is quite aggressive and will not leave you alone until you purchase something.
We were there in Nov so it was low season, the beach vendors were lining up at our chair to sell us stuff one after the other. It was very uncomfortable even though i kept saying no thank you, no thank you, they wouldn't leave me alone. I literally bought stuff to send them on their way. I bought 2 thai silk photos for 1100 bhat, which I saw at the Chaing Mai market for 85 bhat each as the listed price. Everything on the beach in Koh Samui is a scam....do not buy anything unless you like to get ripped off.
One day in the afternoon I decided to go for a nap in my room and they were doing staff fire training directly outside my door. There was huge balls of fire (i.e. think throwing water on a grease fire) and men in fireproof suits, etc.. this was all less then 100 meters from my door and semi in the middle of loads of trees. Needless to say it didn't seem very safe to me.
We arranged a private tour of the island via the hotel on the last day. They arranged for a very nice SUV to bring us around the island. The driver did not speak any english but he was very pleasant and I enjoyed his hospitality. The agreed upon price was 2600 bhat. when I asked for a discount on the food or room rate upon leaving due to the pool being closed for 4 of the 5 days we were there and the inconvenience of having to go to the hotel next door to swim, they wouldn't give me a discounted room rate or comp my meals (which was really only 1 meal) but instead comp'ed me the island tour, which was to my satisfactory.
Overall the 5 days there cost me about $950 cdn. Do I think it was worth it? No. I think I could have stayed elsewhere and not felt like I was getting ripped off on everything. Do I think they need to learn more about being a 5 star hotel, Yes. Will I stay again, sadly No (due to the # of things that had gone badly for me). I'm sure if you didn't have to deal with all the suff I did you would enjoy your trip...so to you, I wish you better luck then mine!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated just 10 minutes from the Island's International airport, Bophut Beach's newest 5 Star Resort features 74 luxuriously appointed rooms with unobstructed ocean views, free wireless internet access and oversize balconies. A leisurely stroll down the quaint cobblestone 'walking street' adjacent to the resort, is the vibrant Fisherman's Village, with its antique wooden shop fronts, chic cafes and atmospheric seaside bars. The name Hansar is taken from the ancient Sanskrit language and translates to mean happiness and joy. The concept and philosophy of Hansar Samui is to deliver an experience to each guest that is happy, memorable and enjoyable. Hansar Samui is about living life in full colour and finding joy in every moment. Hansar Samui offers luxurious, beachfront, spacious accommodation with unobstructed sea views from every room, and supersize private balconies and oversize daybeds for outdoor living and entertaining. Open plan yet intimate, each room has been artfully finished with teak floors, terrazzo bathrooms and local textiles to provide a sense of place. Chic custom furnishings, large flat screen TVs balance the design's natural touches with a modern flair. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hansar Samui Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hansar Samui Hotel Bophut
- Hansar Samui Resort Ko Samui/Bophut