“Great location. Decent room. Some excellent staffs.!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hansar Samui Resort

Hansar Samui Resort
Ranked #12 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
Singapore, Singapore
“Great location. Decent room. Some excellent staffs.!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

This is the final day.

One word to summarize my experience for Hansar resort is great!

Very good location because of unblocked access to beach and close to fisherman village. Fisherman village is a sort of European entrepreneurs' shop area. Quite clean and all good restaurants and bars are available.

A room is clean and new. Not that spacious compared to the other resort, but ok. No bath tub. Only shower booth is available. The design of a shower booth is chic but the tab is not convenient to use. Amenities are below average.

Staffs are very mixed. Some staffs are faaaaabulous like Dom and Pae. Dom is a pool bar staff and he cares my family very personally and attentively. Also he is smiling always even though his shirt is sweated.
Pae is a staff in a restaurant. What a lady! She is always smiling and makes us happy. I ordered a cup of coffee with hot water on day 1. From day 2, she has served a cup of coffee with hot water even though I did not say anything. She remembers what we ordered with customized options as well and serves us very well.
The other guys are average. Don't remember what we order by each individual. Attentive service but very plastic and not warm. One specific restaurant lady staff are bad. Always angry face with arrogant attitude. Almost throw a napkin to a table. We have not tried 1st floor restaurant anymore because of her.
Front desk are below average. They never recognize me even though this is a small boutique hotel. The management can leverage best practice from Dom an Pae to improve service level.

Overall great because of great location and new facilities with some great staffs.

Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Down Under
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

Located perfectly beside the very quaint village of Bophut, Hansar once again impressed us. Hansar Bangkok was tremendously pleasant for us recently, so we thought Hansar Samui may be in the same level. Apart from the awesome beach location (and we are Australians so particularly fussy when it comes to beaches), the really fabulous, expansive 20m pool with island views, and the gentle hum of activity on the road and beach outside the resort which inspires not intrudes, it was the staff which really make this minimal delight superb. They are all hand chosen for their energy, language skills, and 'Thai cool', and gave us as Tourists a valuable insight into the modern Thailand - a very refreshing and professional modern culture with traditional laid-back charm. Over our 5 days we only took to a taxi twice, there is plenty of relaxing to be had by walking - along the beach day or night, or strolling the local town (Friday night is market night, try to make it if you can.) Poolside is sublime, and the pool is great for laps too. Happy hours get the beach bar busy, food was great all round, they have an organic garden for produce... the list goes on. Enjoy Hansar.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MistaKoko
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Great hotel, great location at end of Fisherman's Village. Staff very freindly and helpful and always ready to provide assistance but remember to ask for exactly what you want. Very clean and spacious, luxury rooms with good in-room facilities. Not a huge hotel, with just about right number of rooms - always enough space around the excellent infinity style pool. Located next to a number of bars and restaurants that gave ample choice without the need to drive or taxi and yet still quiet enough not to be bothered by any noisy neighbours. Hotel has its own part of the beach but close enough to water-sports facilities and island tour boats drop you off next to the hotel at end of day. Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: Central rooms on higher floors for best views.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

My wife and I checked out of Hansar last week and have been missing it since. The location is great and the staff were attentive to our every need. The restaurant also provides an extensive breakfast menu and impressive lunch and dinner options. The evening turn down service (i.e. including chocolates and a rose) was impressive. The infinity pool and outside bar provided the setting for many a relaxing afternoon. I was even welcomed to join in with the off duty staff in a volleyball session on the beach. The Fisherman's Village is a short stroll away. It is a much quieter and relaxing location than the hustle and bustle of Chaweng. If you are searching for an amazing experience with all of the facilities nearby, but without noise and bluster then this is the place for you!
Firstly I would like to thank to Mrs. Noi ( Reservation Department) for time to time solving my queries and helping me out for the stay out there. The hospitality of the hotel goes without saying it is just fanstactic, superb, mind blowing............
I would like to thank Keng the supporting staff of the resort for the wonderful drive through Koh Samui, Mom and Sam for solving all over queries and feeling as if we are in our home only. There were just outstanding and the last and not the least to Stephen and his team for the wonderful foods.They kept in mind our food restriction and the CANDLE LIGHT DINNER was one of the best dinner I hv evr has in my whole life. It is one of the precious moments captured and would be life time.

i'd recommend having a drink at Coco Tam's bar nearby-it is outdoors right on the beach. would highly recommend staying here!

4 Thank Karan560
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

The check in was fast and efficient, shown to our room and luggage delivered promptly. The rooms are modern clean and lovely, equipped with good amenities, water is also provided. We had a pool +sea view which was beautiful, the rooms have a balcony great way to relax and read a book. The infinity pool is stunning. Yes there is a small road dividing the beach and the pool but do not let this put you off you just need to go down a couple of steps and you're on the hotels private beach. The pool area is well maintained the pool bar is maned by very nice and efficient staff. Cold bottled water is served automatically by the pool and beach, their cocktails and menu are both superb! Try happy hour! The bfast is served at the H restaurant both upstairs and down stairs buffet style but eggs, waffles and pancakes are ordered individually. We also dined at the H in the evening which is the alacarte and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The resort is peaceful just few minutes walk from Fishermans Village. There was nothing we could fault really. We look forward to visit Samui and stay at Hansar once more.

Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in Nov. Upon arriving into the hotel at 10pm from Bangkok, we were informed that the pool would be closed for maintenance on our 2nd day there for 2 weeks. Was quite shocked to hear this as I had no prior knowledge that the pool would shut down. When I asked why we were not told this, their answer was simply it was posted on the website or your travel agent should have told you. Since I booked directly with the hotel, I would have expected them to send me an email to advise me in advance, which they didn't....a 5* hotel would have sent an email notice in advance.

As an alternative they arranged for us to have access to the hotel pool next door at the Anatarya. The pool next door was nice, not as nice as the spectacular pool at hansar (the pool was the main reason I booked this hotel). The pool staff next door were nice, but again i just felt like a visitor there and not a guest.

Anyways we enjoyed the hotel pool to the fullest on the day that it was open when we were there. It was lovely. The rooms were nice, comfortable. TV was good as well. Mini bar was quite expensive, I think we paid $5 cdn for a bottle of water upon arrival (my bf was very thirsty and we couldn't find any water in the room (although it was there we just missed it)).

Breakfast was good, take a table outside the view is great. We had 1 lunch at the hotel. I had a chicken caesar and my boyfriend had the pasta. He enjoyed his pasta. My salad was ok- chicken was not actually chicken breast but rather like a sliced chicken that you would put in a sandwich and bacon did not taste real. Lunch was also quite expensive. All of our other meals were bought in the nearby fisherman's village, which is located just outside the hotel to the right side of the beach. Village was charming.

Tip, there will be some thai men standing right out side the entrance to the hotel and he will ask you to complete a survey for free. This will be used to try and sell you timeshare later. They use the survey information and take it back to the hotel you are staying at. We gave false information, i.e. false room number etc... but some how the 'reception' connected them to the right room. To me, a 5* hotel should not be giving out your information to a local to try and sell you stuff directly over the phone to your room. they ask you to come and speak to them in reception because you are the grand prize winner of a week's free stay -- yea right! :S

Another dodgy thing about this hotel is that one of the receptionists who checked us in was selling stuff as a 'beach vendor' the next day. Her husband is also one of the beach vendors and is quite aggressive and will not leave you alone until you purchase something.

We were there in Nov so it was low season, the beach vendors were lining up at our chair to sell us stuff one after the other. It was very uncomfortable even though i kept saying no thank you, no thank you, they wouldn't leave me alone. I literally bought stuff to send them on their way. I bought 2 thai silk photos for 1100 bhat, which I saw at the Chaing Mai market for 85 bhat each as the listed price. Everything on the beach in Koh Samui is a scam....do not buy anything unless you like to get ripped off.

One day in the afternoon I decided to go for a nap in my room and they were doing staff fire training directly outside my door. There was huge balls of fire (i.e. think throwing water on a grease fire) and men in fireproof suits, etc.. this was all less then 100 meters from my door and semi in the middle of loads of trees. Needless to say it didn't seem very safe to me.

We arranged a private tour of the island via the hotel on the last day. They arranged for a very nice SUV to bring us around the island. The driver did not speak any english but he was very pleasant and I enjoyed his hospitality. The agreed upon price was 2600 bhat. when I asked for a discount on the food or room rate upon leaving due to the pool being closed for 4 of the 5 days we were there and the inconvenience of having to go to the hotel next door to swim, they wouldn't give me a discounted room rate or comp my meals (which was really only 1 meal) but instead comp'ed me the island tour, which was to my satisfactory.

Overall the 5 days there cost me about $950 cdn. Do I think it was worth it? No. I think I could have stayed elsewhere and not felt like I was getting ripped off on everything. Do I think they need to learn more about being a 5 star hotel, Yes. Will I stay again, sadly No (due to the # of things that had gone badly for me). I'm sure if you didn't have to deal with all the suff I did you would enjoy your trip...so to you, I wish you better luck then mine!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FreedomTraveller1551
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I stayed here with my wife for 3 nights as part of a tailor-made month-long tour of the country put together by Andaman Sky, who did a great job of getting us low prices, the best rooms and organizing everything so I didn’t have to think about a thing, just follow the vouchers from hotel to the next taxi, to the next hotel, to the next boat etc.

This resort has a superb location on Bophut beach and the hotel has a secluded feel to it. The food at the hotel was great, especially the Thai food, which I felt was reasonably priced too.The breakfasts were good, with an egg station offering exotic recipes for how to eat eggs, I tried a different one every morning. The staff were friendly, nothing seemed to faze them or hassle them in the least, even when some other guests got obnoxious about something totally unreasonable – the weather, FFS, is that the receptionist’s fault ?

We got a heart on our bed made out of rose petals, plus a honeymoon cake too. The pool area is spotless and the resort has lots of pleasing woodwork as part of the architecture, makes a nice change from concrete.

The beach was OK, although the sand wasn’t as white as it is elsewhere and is a bit rougher, but that’s just nit-picking really. It was great to get away from grotty Chaweng.
In a nutshell, the rooms are splendid, the service great, the location is perfect and the and food yummy.

I recommend this hotel for couples but not for families.

Room Tip: combine with a stay somewhere on the andaman side, we did this and got the best of the region
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple