“A truly 5*”

Ranked #13 of 186 Hotels in Bophut
Moscow
“A truly 5*”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Our stay in Hansar wasn’t planned. But after spending 2 weeks in the neighboring Bandara and deciding to cancel our plans for Bangkok we’ve found ourselves thinking whether we should just extend our stay where we were already staying or try that stylish hotel we’ve been walking past on our way to Fisherman’s Village every single night for the past 2 weeks.

Naturally the curiosity won.

There were not much to whine about Hansar, but one thing I didn’t like. I’ve checked the availability on their website and seeing rooms were available asked my regular travel agency to book it for me. They came back to me in an hour saying the hotel told there were no rooms available for the whole period of the 3 nights I’ve requested and we will need to move. That was not a very tempting thing to look forward to, especially during such a short stay, so I’ve decided to book the room with a famous booking engine, which also stated the room was available and had the same price as the hotel. Surprising or not the room was confirmed and we had it for the whole 3 nights without having to move. No idea what was that after all… a special unfriendliness of a hotel towards an agency or what? Don’t think it really matters for them to whom they sell the room as the ‘famous booking engine’ is an agency too…

But enough whining.

The pros

- The hotel is new and stylish and not very big. It has a minimalist design and a boutique hotel feel.

- Staff have a very good level of English which is not often seen in Thailand.

- The room was very big size, with an equally generously sized balcony which (oh, heaven) even had sockets in it. The daybed in the balcony was nice and soft and sized enough for 2 people. Our room was in the shorter wing of the building and we had lots of sun from 3pm and till the sunset on our balcony. Loved to spend time there.

- Giant rain shower in the room. Could well be the space of a bedroom in some Paris or NYC hotels. However it is only separated from the main room by a glass wall so unless you are staying with your loved one (or you are extra shy) it might be a problem.

- Lovely restaurant on the premises, I’ve wrote a separate review on it.

- A big pool with many picture opportunities both day and night. First time ever that I’ve heard ‘you can use the pool after hours, there will be no service though’

- A turndown service the best I’ve ever encountered with a rose and a chocolate (and a remote) each night!

- Adequate amount of sunbeds around the pool, comfy sunbeds themselves and stylish towels to match.

- Happy hour 3 times a day at the beach bar, one timing being lunch time.

- Nice lunch menu from the H Bistro. I recommend the burger.

- Great breakfast selection and the omelettes are the best I ever had anywhere in the world.

The cons

- The territory of the hotel is almost non-existent. There is a hotel building itself and a lawn in front of it with a pool and a beach bar. And that’s it. Pool being pretty big though sizing 30x10 meters. Website said the pool has sea water in it. It isn’t.

- The minimalist design is pretty however there is a serious lack of storage space inside the room. We’ve stayed there for 3 nights and I had problems unpacking. Don’t even want to think what could have happened had we stay there for 2 weeks. There is a tiny wardrobe with 5 hangers and one shelf. A place to put your suitcase (just one as two won’t fir unless they are on top of each other), and a big drawer. That’s it. I am not bringing a different outfit for each night but even with my modest packing habits I had serious problems fitting the stuff I wanted out of the suitcase for 3 nights.

- If you opt for the most expensive beachfront rooms you should be aware that they are the closest to the road where people walk past by all day and night and right before the building starts there is a turn where the cars go. I guess this will be especially bothersome if you happen to be on the ground floor.

- Happy hour (2 for 1) was nice but you had to had two very same drinks and the cocktail menu was far from extensive (comparing to non happy hour cocktail menu).

- Service around the pool during lunch hour could be questionable. My drink came after I almost finished my meal. Had to remind twice that I’m still waiting for it.

Another advice for the rooms: do try to get one away from the inside angles of the building as those seem to have lack of light and also are lacking privacy. The best rooms I dare say will be those on the 3rd floor on the shorter side of the building. Yes, they won’t have frontal seaview, but they are a bit more private and have sun in the afternoon.

All in all, this is a very good hotel. Wish they made it adults only though for pure relaxation.

Room Tip: do try to get one away from the inside angles of the building as those seem to have lack of light an...
3 Thank Stina1978

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Maroochydore, Australia
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We enjoyed the most perfect honeymoon at Hansar Samui. The rooms are just beautiful, the spa is amazing and the food is excellent. The couples treatments at the spa are perfectly romantic and indulgent - exactly what is required for a honeymoon. Happy Hour at the bar is a must do - especially the fresh coconuts and delicious mocktails. The staff responded to a few little hiccups with our room with professionalism and speed. We had to change rooms due to a problem with the air conditioning and were upgraded at no cost. We were also given a restaurant voucher to make up for the inconvenience which was a lovely touch. We spent most of our days relaxing by the pool and it was just so lovely. I would highly recommend this hotel for a romantic holiday and hope I can go back again one day!

Room Tip: The higher floors offer a stunning view.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca M
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Just amazing. Having stayed in Thailand over 10 times, this place is just it.

Great quiet beach, some other places you go nuts with the amount of people.

Super view from each room with nice balconies

Rooms spacious and clean

Fun 3x per day happy hour so guests actually make an effort to have a drink at 630

Service as everywhere in Thailand it's great.

Give this place an a+

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Michiel_PR
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 January 2014

It was our second time retuning to this hotel, nice hotel but probably our last time.

On arrival the staff were very nice and helpful and we got straight into a room. This hotel modern, good rooms, spacious, comfortable bed, nice bathroom and the balcony is a very nice touch to finish the room off. The breakfast is excellent in this hotel and the staffs are very nice who serve the breakfast.

The main problem they have and lack in is the English language. To communicate with then front desk is a nightmare, they don’t understand and just nod along with whatever you say. There is no concierge in this hotel which makes it so annoying when you go and ask the front desk for help and they cant recommend anything as they don’t really understand what you want. There is also a problem of timings in the hotel, they stop room service very early at 9:30pm. Even if you order a drink to your room they refuse to bring it as room service is over. Even though the bar is open till 1am inside the hotel.

They could make much more money by keeping room service open till at least 11pm. With the Language being such a barrier its one reason why we wont be returning for a 3 time. Nice hotel but they really need to sort out a few little problems they have.

Room Tip: Center room looking onto the sea
kolkata
Reviewed 30 January 2014

koh samui was my dream destination from long time.And i reached there month of oct,13.i booked hansar samui .its a great hotel in all aspect. beautiful room,pool,view from room.ooooo very nice.hotel is very near to fisherman village.full of club,pub,restrorent.all room have same sea view.decent b/f,rocking pool bar.i will back.

Room Tip: 1st ,2nd floor rooms have great view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sonic118
Toronto Canada
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Most rooms have ocean views and your own private terrace with a lovely bench to read or relax. The showers are spacious and the rooms spacious and comfortable. No elevators so just keep that in mind if climbing stairs is an issue for you. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful at every turn. Samney at front desk was extremely professional and helpful in arranging whatever we needed. The staff at the bar were also wonderful and always made sure to come to the beach at happy hour to see if we wanted drinks and also providing us with ice buckets to kept our drinks chilled. We had a wonderful experience here and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying her. We had a late flight and they graciously offered us a lovely room to shower before our flight. That room had a large oval tub - will ask for a tub room on our next visit!!!!

Room Tip: Higher floor - 3rd gives you good view of the water
2 Thank Mandmviajeros
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 January 2014

First stop during a 2 week Asia journey. Wanted a beautiful hotel, room with a view, friendly service (I miss Om and Mon), and location away from "hustles". Met all my requirements. The staff helped me when I left a second set of shoes on my boatride to the national sea park. The infinity pool is spectacular. Pick-up and airport drop off - I hope to be back later this year.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo