“Beautiful hotel with nice hospitality”

Orchid Residence Samui
Ranked #115 of 151 Bophut B&B and Inns
Zurich, Switzerland
“Beautiful hotel with nice hospitality”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Me and my friends enjoyed two weeks in Koh Samui staying at the Hotel Orchid Residence.
The service was great and helpful. We had a big and clean room with three beds including air condition, WIFI, TV with channels in all languages.

The food in the restaurant was fantastic. Thai food aswell as international food and breakfast.

The big Laem Dim Market (Bazar) is very close and a supermarket for daily products is right next to the Hotel.
Best of all: By foot you reach the Chaweng beach in only 5 minutes!

After a few days Sam the receptionist became our friend. He is very kind and helpful.
One day he even took us to the Big Buddha by car. Thanks to him we had a great sightseeing-day aroung the Island.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Irfan G

Business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

We booked and paid for a room, when we arrived we were told that the hotel was fully booked and there was no room for us, despite the fact we'd booked and paid in advance and also had our confirmation email with us.

The staff refused to give us an apology, never-mind a refund. And they were very rude. We were stuck in Samui with no accommodation.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rosh D

Travellers are raving about these Bophut hotels

Amphoe Muang Phuket, Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Very Bad service of reception ,I never go to samui i try to try the way that go to hotel but in the map of hotel that i book room from Raja pier , is not clear what is location of the hotel in the map then i call to ask information for roud to reception,but reception talk no good with me then i went to hotel the staffs talk no good and no friendly not smile and show their angry.I feel so bad and no get impression. Next time i don't want go to back this hotel again .

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank badhotel804
Widecombe in the Moor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Bad news (and good news). The good news first...

Other than the issue with customer service (see below), the hotel was fine. Rooms are good, quite large. Hot water worked, bed was comfortable. TV worked too. NO free wifi. I don't know why free wifi comes as standard in some hotels but in others you have to pay for it. Other than the lack of wifi, the rooms were fine.

Now for the bad news...

I stayed here for a night on my way home from the full moon party at Koh Phangan.

When we arrived, the manager was on duty. Sadly, he didn't know the password to the computer so he couldn't bring my booking up (lolwut?). Instead, I used my laptop, but discovered that I'd accidentally booked one day in advance. I asked the manager, pointed it out, and I got the impression that we'd be able to move our booking one day forward without any problems.

The next morning, I asked the girl at reception about the free included breakfast. She had printed out our booking confirmation slip that morning. She told me that the booking was wrong (it was one day in advance, remember?). She asked one of the kitchen girls what to do. I explained that the manager said (apparently) that we could just move it one day forward. Then one of the girls goes to get the manager.

The manager storms into the restaurant, takes the booking confirmation and walks back into reception. As he waves the booking slip in the air, he tells me, somewhat aggressively, that the booking is not valid because it's one day late. Then he complains that I didn't have the booking slip the day before... where did it come from now? He wouldn't listen and he kept insisting that we had to pay for the night since we'd booked wrong.

I tried to speak kindly and explain that it had been an accident, that I'd unintentionally booked the wrong day, but he wasn't having any of it. He wasn't being nice about it either. I'm not sure why, but something had set him off.

Ok, fair's fair, I thought. I called Agoda and asked for advice. They said they'd handle it. They must've called the hotel and explained the situation in Thai. When I went back into reception (which I had to pay for! So much for a free breakfast...), the receptionist told me everything was fine, that they'd been able to move our booking forward one day.

In the end, a so-so resolution. We got the rooms for the price booked, despite the error in dates (my error). But it was a whole lot of hassle and frustration to get the issue sorted out. I usually wouldn't mind about something like this, because it was my fault (I made the booking error), but after being treated dismissively by the manager, I felt the need to post online. I was prepared to eat the cost of my error, but I wasn't impressed with their level of service and how they handled the problem. I'm a fairly chilled guy and I understand the need for respect in thai culture. I didn't raise my voice or get aggressive. I just tried to resolve the issue.

Will I stay there again? Nope. The rooms were fine, but in all honesty, it wasn't worth the hassle dealing with the employees.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank TravelingRock12
berlino
Reviewed 6 November 2010

Very big and nice room, nice position and good service, the only problem is the music from thai boxing stadium, but if you no need to go to sleep before midnight, can be a very good solution. Lovely Samui.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
5 Thank aboengel
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2010

This place is by a long stretch the best accomodation not only in Samui but the whole of Thailand. The rooms are huge and completley spotless. They also have cable tv, aircon, fridge etc. We have stayed here 3 times in our 4 months of travelling around South East Asia and would have no hesitation in returning. The price also includes breakfast which is also good. The attached restaurant also serves delicious thai food, I would especially recommend their chilli and basil leaves - YUM! The thing that makes this hotel so special has to be the staff. They are absolutley amazing. As they remebered us from our 2 previous stays here we were given a suite for the price of a standard room which also included a microwave, cutlery, a couch and large table. Unfortunatley we didn't catch the lady's name on reception but she was fantastic. Please pay the Orchid Residence a visit, its excellent value for money and in a good location. It made our stay in Samui a very pleasurable one!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple