“Best Muay Thai gym so far”
Review of Superpro Samui

Superpro Samui
Ranked #13 of 227 Speciality Lodging in Bophut
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I found out about the camp at http://www.superprosamui.com/ I spent nearly a month training here solo. The training here is brilliant, with practise sessions everyday mixed in with a good food intake it's able to take you also to the next level. I made some great friends and I will definitely be going back come summertime. Bring on the best Koh Samui Muay Thai gym going... again :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We were looking for a vacation option that offered more than a sit-by-the-beach-and-eat-all-fresh-seafood-you-can-get holiday. Google search had thrown up Superpro Samui as a potential destination and we had booked it.

It turned out to be a really good choice for us:

- We have a general interest in sports and sports people, watch UFC on TV and indulge in a bit of amateur sports (my partner does kayaking/rafting and I run ultra-marathons). If you are not a sports-oriented person, or if you are looking for a more resort-kind of a holiday, you should not choose this place. It is fairly basic (though is at a great location in terms of proximity to the Chaweng Beach Road, has WiFi, has supermarkets around for buying milk, fruits, etc, is clean and has ACs that work fine; the reception can get your clothes cleaned and can help with renting a scooter; there is no room service and the TV in the room was a small, older model).

- The training started on time at 8am all days except Sundays (and holidays like New Year's Day) and at 5pm. We ended up training on 5 of the 9 days we were there, as (i) we couldn't do more, and (ii) decided to go diving one day, and (iii) there was a bit of holiday-drinking involved.

- While all trainers are nice, a couple of them stand out for their ability to not get irritated with people like me who are below-beginners levels (and have horror of kicking the precious running legs into injury).

- While we could have stayed at a cheaper place on the beach (Ko Samui is great that ways), we would have never gotten to even a single training session if there was more than "go downstairs for training" involved. And we wouldn't have seen Alistair Overeem train in front of us!

Overall, for me, just seeing people who are training there seriously, amateurs and professionals alike, was really inspiring! And therefore, worth it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank S S
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I recently spent 2 weeks in Thailand with my girlfriend, whilst on Samui I wanted to do some Muay Thai so we headed along to Superpro. Session starts at 8am sharp with a warm up then full 2 hours of technique drills, pad work and lots of 1 on 1 coaching. Really cant say enough good things about this gym and the trainers, made us both feel right at home even though I have never really done much May Thai before, girlfriend had awesome session too. Gym is so well appointed its scary, weights, 20+ bags, 3 or 4 rings, handwraps and pads and an army of trainers so everyone gets close supervision, first time I've gone home from a holiday fitter than when I went out!!! A+++++

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Have trained there for years! Good trainers, nice staff and Robbie is the man!!
They also have a excellent mma trainer from Sweden( Daniel ) that will for sure take you to the next level.
Head coach For Thaiboxing charroon, has trained a lot of champions both in Thailand and in Europe. He has an excellent eye for the individual, and will perfect your style.
Johnny

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Leno202
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I've just returned after one month of muay thai training at superpro samui. The teachers are really great, they take their time with everyone and really help you when needed. I've talked to a few people on the camp who have been training multiple camps throughout Thailand. They all told me that superpro was the best i by far when it comes to training and facilities. The rest of the staff is really friendly, the rooms are cleaned on a daily base and everything works proper ( wifi, hot shower, airco etc). Next to chaweng and not far from Lamai, located in a quiet environment. If your looking for a great and proper muay thai camp, go to this place!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Victorvanderveen
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Please note I only did the Muay Thai training and did not stay at the hotel. The training is relatively fast paced with a number of local coaches attending the session. For someone coming fresh from the European winter, harsh physical activity in the heat and humidity was somewhat of a shock (get some electrolyte powder for fluid replacement in Boots, 8 baht a satchet).

The training session runs for about 2 hours with a morning and evening session (I exclusively did the 8am - 10am slot). The typical setup is:
- Run / skipping 20 mins
- Technique / bag work
- one on one with a trainer holding pads, 3 rounds of 3 mins
- more bag work and conditioning.

The coaches have some level of English but are far from fluent but you will quickly find out when you are doing something wrong .. The level of coaching is OK depending on who you have with the pads or just who happens to be close to you. There is a very varied crowd training ranging from complete beginners to seasoned fighters (quite a few girls too), the place is quite welcoming. There is also a fully equipped gym but I didn't try it.

I also tried a smaller gym (Yuthpan, close to The Kala) which had less students so more focus on you but I didn't get the feeling that they had the same level of experience.

Gloves and wraps can be borrowed at Superpro. One session is 400 baht which is not far off London prices although weekly deals or longer is also available.

All in all I will come back if I find myself in Samui again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Risiffrutti
Reviewed 5 March 2013

The rooms at the hotel are nice & clean, has everything you need. The staff are friendly & if you want the full Thai experience get friendly with Koppy... the room price includes 2 muay thai training per day. if you are not in shape yet, start with the morning training. the trainers are professionals and funny. not all of them speak English though. the resort itself located in the jungle, it has great swimming pool and good size gym (if there are not too many people). if muay thai is your thing. go there!!!!

Room Tip: ask for the view to the mattresses if you want to watch the training from the balcony.