“What An Amazing Haven!”

Ranked #22 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
Cork, Ireland
“What An Amazing Haven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Mantra Samui Resort in December for 7 nights. I would have always been a little apprehensive of traveling to Thailand in the 'high' season especially at a busy time like December but after being to Thailand twice before, I couldn't resist the chance to go again.

The instant we got to the hotel we knew we had picked the right place. The hotel is located up high in the Bophut Hills and this provides breath taking views of the surrounding areas. Also, I got a great kick out of the Volkswagen van set up in the lobby!

The hotel is situated on a steep hill and if you like a bit of daily exercise you can walk around the property or if you'd prefer to relax you can catch a lift on the easily available golf buggies. The gym is extremely well equipped and is opened 24hr a day. You can also have a nice trot on the treadmill while overlooking the stunning views. The sauna and salt room are another great addition to the hotel and they run regular yoga classes. Unfortunately I was only able to go to one but found it a nice way to interact with the other guests in a way that you probably wouldn't do if you were lying by the pool or at the bar.

Mantra offers frequent shuttle bus services to Chaweng or Bophut if you want to see the rest of the island and the hotel manager Robert was always at hand to offer advice on where to go, what to see or if there was any other information or help we needed.

The hotel staff in general were extremely polite and helpful. The rooms were cleaned to a very high standard and the dinning area was immaculate. I enjoyed a whole host of options at meal times as they provided a well varied vegetarian selection. My favourite time was breakfast as they had a large range of locally sourced fruit. They seemed very environmentally and socially conscious in this regard as the staff told us that they source as much local produce as possible for the kitchen and they even have their own herb garden! It was nice to think in some small way you were helping the local people of the area as you were slugging back your third fresh pineapple juice of the morning!

Some unique aspects of the hotel that I really found well thought out were the movie theater where you could watch various movies, they even had TED videos showing during the day, which I liked to check out when I had too much sun. Each room also has it's own computer and there is free WI-FI access. My favourite thing though was that it was possible to have a lovely Illy coffee at any time day or night in the comfort of your own room!

I soaked up every minute of this holiday and would strongly recommend to anyone visiting Thailand to go to Samui without hesitant and stay in the Mantra hotel.

Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this review, 7 January 2012
Dear schueyf1_fan,

Thank you very much for your kind words and detailed review. When we created the hotel we tried to make sure that we provide a wide variety of services and facilites. It makes me feel good that you enjoed these facilities and as an avid Ted.com fan I am happy that you liked the speeches.

I am also happy to anounce that as of January 8th we will offer 15 shuttles a day (all together to bophut, chaweng and back to the hotel.) So the next time you come you can go even more often to the neighboring beaches.

I really hope that we can see you again soon! Robert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium

Five star view.
Sunny staff.
Who needs a Full Moon party when you can dine in Mantra?
Excellent food to make your belly look like a moon.
Great leisure activities, amazing yoga room.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this review, 13 January 2012
Dear David,

Your review shows that you appreciate what Mantra is all about:) and I am very happy that you enjoyed the food of Chef Dani and his team!
It is a widely known secret that all new colleagues that start with Mantra gain 3-4 kgs in their first two weeks of employment because the staff canteen also hides some deliscious treats!
I hope that we can have you with us again and you will be able to try even more yoga classes!
Thank you for taking the time and writing about us! Robert
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

We had a wonderful time with my husband in this new hotel. The staff was very helpful and very friendly at the reception, in the gym or in the restaurant. If you like sports, you’re gonna love the well-equipped gym, the beautiful yoga studio, you can play squash, or swim in the infinity swimming pool. The breakfast is very delicious and if you would like to have very special lunch you have to try Ubuntu restaurant. I think it is one of the best on the island. I loved the room’s design, my favourite was the bathroom. The hotel is located on the hillside, the view is amazing, shuttle buses can take you to the beach or to Chaweng. We’ll surely return to Mantra next time we come to Samui.

Dear Gorki88,

I am happy that you and your husband have enjoyed your stay with us, and delighted to read that you liked our Ubuntu Restaurant! We put a very high emphasis on breakfast and it is very rewarding to know that you enjoyed it!
It is wonderful to read that you have found my colleagues to be friendly and we can not wait to have you back in Mantra!
Thank you for your review and for the very nice pictures! Robert
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

This hotel is for open-minded people, who can enjoy themselves. I wanted something different than what I have in my country and I was ready to take in Mantra's charm. I found more than helpful staff; mouth watering food; magnificent facilities. In the end I bought a pair of Mantra slippers and asked the chef how he makes the profiterol.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank NIKOLETT M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

Very wonderful resort, I really enjoyed so much and hope will stay on same level until I come back again for another vacation

• Stayed December 2011
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this review, 3 January 2012
Dear Mohdss,

I would like to thank you for reviewing us! We not only hope to remain at the same level but continuously work to make Mantra even better. So you can be sure that the next time you come, you will enjoy your stay again!
surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

This is a crisp contemporary purpose built resort with all luxuries included from the double outside bath to the toothbrushes supplied every comfort has been thought about.
We were slightly dubious prior to booking this hotel as there were very limited reviews and the pictures seemed too good to be true, even the many emails, that we sent prior to booking were answered quickly and professionally by either Robert or Esther.
After the journey up the hill, upon checking into the hotel the staff were so kind and friendly we were at ease immediately before being whisked to our room by an electric buggy!
Our love room was very luxurious with everything you needed from coffee machine to condoms! with wonderful views over the bophut shoreline from our jacuzzi bath on the patio!!!
The managers Robert and Esther were always on hand around the complex, mainly in the restaurant working with the smiling staff assisting, liaising, serving clients with such efficiency and professionalism.
A truly great experience thanks to

them and their great team.

• Stayed December 2011
Dear Ivordoodah,

I would like to thank you on behalf of all of us for your kind words. My colleagues and I work very hard to make sure that all our Guests have a great experience in Mantra. Your kind words just gave us a big dose of energy and happiness. It is much appreciated.
ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

We arrived at koh samui airport expecting a pickup which was not there we do think this may have been our own fault however as it's a new hotel the taxi drivers do not know where it is so after a little while the taxi managed to ring about and find where it is. We had booked it understanding it was in bo phut so we were concerned when the taxi started bringing us up the mountains. This hotel is set up the mountains and the road is not suitable to walk down so you will have to get taxis everywhere they do have a shuttle to the beach but we never used it as it seemed like such a chore . On arrival we expained we were disappointed with the location and that the hotel seemed very quiet. The next morning at breakfast the manager made it his business to find us to see if we were happy or if there was anything he could do. This we thought was very impressive and we decided to stay the views are amazing and it is a very
friendly hotel and the staff do try to help but the language barrier is a major issue I have travelled in Asia a lot and have stayed in koh samui so I was surprised that so many of the
staff simply did not understand English they tried but it was difficult for them. The food here is
okay but it is far too limited the breakfast buffet is small they use the same ingredients in
everything so it's likely if you don't like something it will feature in every meal so you will be
very limited. There is one fresh juice every morning and for 10 days It was some combination
of pineapple as I don't like pineapple this meant no juice.... There is no alternative although If you push it you can buy orange juice... At a five star I would expect a more varied selection of
food. Again lunch is limited too we understood there was a different burger of the day but for
a full week it was fish burger so no one could have any other choice of burger, these may
seem rediculous reasons to be unimpressed with Mantra but to me its these things that make
the star rating. The amenities such as shower caps are not replaced unless you ask for them
again a silly over sight for a 5 star hotel. This hotel is trying to cater for all people I think it
should concentrate on a segment of the Market and do it well. It is totally unsuitable for
children there are steep steps to all rooms and the kiddies pool is not separate from the
adults pool I watched parents of a three year old on tender hooks the whole time it was no
holiday for them. The pool area is very slippery also.The restaurant and bar is very quiet at
night but I think this is cause the menu is the same as at lunch so people leave to get a
choice of food. The yoga classes are excellent the teachers are very good and they cater for
all levels they will even give options of difficulty in the classes which is great. The gym is open
24 hours with good equipment and they wash your gym clothes which is a great idea. Sun
beds at the pool are a nightmare firstly there are not enough of them it only caters for 20
people at the main pool the " love rooms" do have their own sunloungers but people do like to
lie at the pool, it was dreadful at a 5 star hotel to see people lying on the ground, secondly
they are like large uncomfortable bean bags not suitable for lounging on at all. Overall I would
not be devastated if I had to go back to this hotel but it is a 4 star hotel and not a 5 star if you
wanted three or four quiet days in koh samui and expected 4 star service you would be happy
enough here however as I expected 5 star service I was not impressed.

Room Tip: The best rooms as I would see are the cozy rooms and 224 is probably the best room.... Avoid room 22...
3 Thank MBIRE
Dear Tripadvisor Users,
I truly believe that tripadvisor is one of the best things that happened to hospitality. The reviews help us find out areas where we need to improve and provide everybody a chance to express their opinion.
I understand the opinions are personal and that feelings cannot be questioned. At the same time this review has so many fallacies that I feel it is my duty to inform our future Guests about the misrepresentations in this review:
As a five star hotel we provide complimentary airport transfer to all our Guests. All we ask is that our Guests send us their flight details. Despite exchanging 19 emails we were not informed about the Guest’s arrival time. If we would have known the arrival time our driver would have been at the airport with an IPad in his hand with the Guests name displayed.
The Mantra buffet table includes a wide selection of fresh fruits: papaya, rose apple, banana, watermelon, yellow watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, dragon fruit and banana from a neighboring garden, plus an additional 2 fruits that are changed daily.
Our pastry chef and his team freshly prepares every day –we do not use frozen products- a selection of 6 type of breads, 4 type of baguettes, 2 types of rolls, 3 type of bagels, 2 type of cakes, croissants and 3 type of doughnuts.
We also provide home smoked duck breast, home cured salmon prepared by our chef, not bought from outside. In addition we always have a top quality beef, duck and pork cold cuts.
We serve 3 different fresh salads different every day. Usually the favorite is the cold watermelon and mozzarella salad.
Our cereal bar includes 13 types of dried fruits, weetabix, 4 different muesli mixes (mixed by us) and 4 types of cereals.
Because we love yogurts we offer 1 unsweetened, 2 flavored (of course flavored by us) yogurts in addition to our home made Bircher muesli.
In addition to this buffet our Guests can order fresh eggs: omelet, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, eggs Benedictine, eggs Florentine and eggs Royal. These are all ordered a la carte and prepared a la minute. This means that there is no need to stand in line in Mantra.
On request the kitchen is happy to provide Asian breakfast as well.
We offer fresh coffee that is made one by one by our trained baristas. This means that fresh cappuccino, cafe latte, black coffee and espresso is available using the highest quality illy coffee to all our guests for no extra charge. Of course these coffees can al be requested with full fat, skimmed and soy milk.
For tea we use the highest quality roennefeldt loose leaf tea which no other five star hotel serves for breakfast.
Every day we serve a different fresh fruit juice mix. Sometimes it is beetroot and pineapple sometimes it is squash and carrot, other times it is watermelon and ginger. The day before the Guests departure we were informed that the Guest does not like pineapple, and our bartenders made sure that Guest received a different juice (mango orange and mint) because on that day the fresh fruit juice mix included pineapple. If we would have been informed earlier we would have happily made sure that the Guest receives a different juice in case there is pineapple involved.
Fish burger was advertised on our blackboard, but during the Guest’s stay, chicken, beef and lamb burger was also available.
We make a continuous effort to protect the fragile environment of Koh Samui, where recycling is still a big problem. Because of this we try to limit the amount of plastic we use and therefore replace shower caps only on request. In our short existence this has helped us to save approximately 1680 shower caps from ending up on landfills. Of course if someone asks we are happy to provide shower caps even on multiple occasions per day.
Similar practices guide all our housekeeping efforts, for example we only change sheets and towels every day when our Guests indicate it. By changing towels only every second day we save 300 liter of water per day per room.
We have had many couples with children and have not received any complaints regarding the safety of our hotel children from people who actually visited us with children.
Our hotel is built using furniture sourced from Thailand created by Thai designers. The 2 meter by 2 meter bean bag beds by the pool are the favorite for most of our Guests. So much so that 2 of them have already placed an order with the award winning Thai designer from whom we bought the beds.
We agree that our poolside area is not big enough to fit the entire hotel. We have known about the issue and have already ordered – in October- an additional 35 daybeds to be placed on the roof top of our squash courts which will be a tanning terrace with a very funky shower. Sadly due to the floods in November the delivery is only expected in mid to late January. In addition 38 of our rooms have large private terraces with Jacuzzis and the giant daybeds.
Adding to the above mentioned facilities, we have 2 squash courts, a Salt Yoga room with a wall built from 4 tons of Himalayan salt bricks, a spa, a state of the art fitness center, a small movie theater, a lovely restaurant with a wood burning pizza oven, an upside down children play room and an adult play room with a pool table and a video games.
All our rooms have: an Illy espresso machine in every room, a mini pc with thousands of complimentary movies and gigabytes of music, an IPod docking station, a flat screen tv, complimentary WiFi & broadband internet and a unique design.

We believe that this deserves five star.
Dear MBIRE,
I would like to thank you for your praise of our Yoga teachers and I am really happy that you have enjoyed the classes. The point about the noisy pump is sadly correct. We expect the new pump to be delivered on the 4th of January and it will be changed immediately.
I am sorry if it has caused inconvenience. Should I have known about the issue I would have happily arranged a move to another room.
I would like to thank you for your stay and wish you the very best!