“Great overall, a few tweaks would make it even better.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mantra Samui Resort

Mantra Samui Resort
Ranked #24 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
London
“Great overall, a few tweaks would make it even better.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

I won't bother to trot out a lengthy review going on about all the positives, others have done that more than adequately. Suffice to say that the room (we had a cozy) was excellent, the gym was great, and the breakfast was outstanding. Whilst the hill is steep, staying in a Cozy meant that we were only one flight of stairs away from everything, so this wasn't an issue in the slightest.

There are a couple of things which I think they could do to improve this place:

(1) They need more shade in the pool area, an extra parasol between each of the double bed loungers would do it. They need to put parasols in the sun deck area as well - at the moment you can't really use this in the heat of the day as there is no shade up there at all - this would help to deal with the problem that there aren't really enough loungers around the pool for everyone.

(2) We were disappointed that the restaurant and bar area were so dead at night - it was low season when we went, but about half of the rooms were occupied I think so would have expected more people around. However, I think the drinks are so overpriced that it drives people away from the hotel so it ended up being dead. It was 170BHT for a singha beer, which you can get for 40-50BHT in a bar. I can buy a bottle of beer for £3 in London - why am I paying more for it in Thailand?! The price of the cocktails was just a bit silly as well given what they cost down the road. Personally it seems to me that they would make more money by dropping their prices by 50% and actually gettings some bodies through the door - there were only 4/5 couples in total eating there every night we were there.

(3) Consider child free policy - this resort's marketing policy is very obviously to make itself out as a couples' retreat. I was a bit disappointed that whilst we where there were a group of at least 4 families travelling together all with several children. They descended on the pool every afternoon and suddenly there were 15/16 children screaming and splashing everywhere for a couple of hours, driving people trying to read a book in peace away from the pool. Not really what I was expecting and whilst the hotel can obviously do very little to stop this once people have arrived, I don't really see what they would lose by going child-free as almost all of the guests were couples without children (no doubt as a result of the way they market themselves as a couples retreat...).

Anyway, despite these minor niggles, this was still a 5* for me. Really enjoyed my relaxing 5 day stay here. In particular the value was amazing, we were paying £70 a night for bed and breakfast - recommend that people book direct and take advantage of the cancellation policy (you can cancel 48 hours in advance for no extra charge and rebook at a lower rate if they are not full - we did this twice in the lead up to our stay and ended up paying half what we originally booked it for - just check availability and rate first before you cancel!!).

2 Thank Iwannagobacknow
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear Iwannagobacknow,

Your user name is great :)

I would like to thank you for taking the time and writing a review!

It is great to read that you found your room to be excellent and also the breakfast to be outstanding!

I amhappy to let you know that the extra umbrellas for the second sun deck are on their way! The next time you visit - hopefully soon - this issue will be solved.

Our prices in the restaurant repreent the quality of the ingredients we use and also the measurements of alcohol we put in each cocktail. Thailand also imposes around 300% import duty tax on spirits and wine therefore cost prices for high quality alcohol are similar or higher here than in the UK.

Half our our resort ( our LOVE rooms) are child free while in the other half we wholeheartedly welcome families. In the first five months we did not have problems with this however we learned that when we welcome huge families problems can arise and we will make sure to monitor reservations better. While individual or smaller families up to 12 persosn do not disrupt other Guests we had a very large family of 35 people staiyng with us and sadly they caused many complaints. I am truly sorry for that.

I am glad you found your stay relaxing and would be very happy to have you with us again! Robert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Pforzheim, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

My boyfriend and me are staying here since the 15th of May, and we will stay for another five days. So I will start with my friend Wannisa, she is the assistance from the Hotel manager and she recommended me this Hotel. And I am so glad that we did it!! We arrived and had a warmly welcome from the whole Mantra team. We were very early, but we got immediately a room to relax until our room was ready. Meanwhile Wannisa showed us the three different type of rooms. First the WOW room..what can I say...WOWWW! The view of this room is simply stunning and breathtaking. Next one she showed us was the Cozy room...it is really cozy and the bathtub is exceptionally nice. After these two nice rooms I was looking forward to see our own one..the LOVE room..and I agree, everything is done with Love, the lambs, the balcony with the jacuzzi, with an amazing view as well..we felt immediately in love with this room as we did later on with the whole hotel itself.

From the first time we went there everything was magical!!! The first night we stayed in the hotels restaurant, what can I say..we love good food and we are always looking for new tastes, and this we got!! We both travel a lot for business and we have eaten all over the world in excellent restaurants, the Mantra Restaurant, so called Ubuntu, simply fulfilled our expectation of a super-fine and extraordinary kitchen. Same for breakfast the very next day, you can choose from different egg creations I have never seen and tried...Yummi Yummi, pineapples come with the shape of a butterfly, watermelons as a heart..what more what you ask for?!

I know we ladies want to have a nice spa and a place to make yoga, and this you can have also in this lovely hotel. We went to a massage, first thing is you get a fantastic lemongras smell into your nose and a tropical Thai style Welcome drink. The massage itself was very relaxing and proffesional. Do it if you visit this hotel!!! The yoga courses are very good, and I have done Yoga maybe the last time one year ago, but the teachers are kind and take care, after all I felt painful but happy :-))))))

The pool is nice with an infinite sea view (I will put on later some pictures, you will be jealous ;-), The moment you relax there immediately all stress you carried with you from before holidays will just disappear - I can promise!!! Concerning the Mantra team I have to say, the chef Khan Jump is an natural born entertainer. We had the chance to join for a cooking class with him, so much fun and now I know it is quite easy to make the Thai Food. It was an hour filled with love for food, getting a insight to Thai kitchen. We proceed to Armani, he is working on the reception, I have one experience with him I will never forget, I felt down the stairs due to heavy rain. Armani came with the First Aid Kit and did what to do, it was so much fun that I almost forgot about the pain!! Thank you so much!

I have to say some words about the Mantra guests, mostly unique and lovely, we met really nice people here, like Daniel and Valeria from the cozy room, we had and have a great time with them!! Mantra is the most loveliest hotel we have ever stayed in and I am so glad to stay here a few days longer!! Mantra (and now I mean especially Robert and the kind owner) is the first hotel with an amazing concept, I love it to see everywhere I go nice lyric poems worth to think about. Mantra you are different. Thanks for this experience, we found a new love.

Mantra I love you and I will miss you so much, but as you know, you always meet twice in life (may be for Honeymoon next time hehe).

Room Tip: Love room 142, nice view as top of building
2 Thank Nicole1101
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

Just concluded a great vacation to samui with family (wife, kids (6 and 10)) may 2012. Mantra Samui resort was an excellent resort though cut off from the main life center of samui i.e. chaewang beach. One area of improvement for mantra samui: shuttle service to Fisherman village and Chaewang beach; either increase the frequency or preferably go for on demand shuttle service. The challenge is if you want to step out the only option is to utilise an automitive since the resort is located atop a hill. The taxi service will cost you TB 300 (though metered taxi they never utilise the meter).

We have come back with great memories of our stay at mantra. The staff is excellent and always ready to serve your request. Wifi is free and they have installed a media player in every room with pre loaded movies and TV shows to go for a long vacation. You can plug in your own USD device as well.

Way to go Mantra samui, keep up the good show.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ivarhens
Bolivia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

If I could give Mantra 10 stars i would!
As my title suggests, the only HUGE problem with the resort is that you may never want to leave.
 I am writing this on the first day of my fourth booking (using Mantra's free wifi).... And I find it compulsory to give the hotel the review it deserves.
My husband and I booked the hotel and intended to stay for 5 days. Today is day number 14 and we cant seem to leave. Mantra has spoiled us so much that no other place will ever be the same.
From the second we arrived, we were treated like the most special guests in the resort, and for a while actually thought we were, until we started talking with other people who felt exactly the same way. And if a hotel can actually make everyone feel like their "favorite guest" they are definitely doing their job very well.
"Cheeky with love" is in every detail. From the moment you arrive you are greeted with a mat at the lobby with a quote that changes every day. My personal favorite " You can't buy happiness, but you can buy ice cream and that's kind if the same thing". The staff welcomes you with nothing but smiles (and cold drinks and towels), and the royal treatment is extended throughout the stay. I immediately noticed the quirky decor and the cute birdhouses they have to place the room keys (little bird key chains color assigned according to the kind of room you have), and thought that was a nice touch.
The rooms are beautiful and tastefully decorated, with special attention to tiny details, like books to read inside the rooms, and a computer with thousands of movies loaded inside,  wonderful toiletries (lovely stitched seal) , and a possibilty to even pick your favorite kind of pillow, to ensure a great night's sleep. I cant forget to mention the funky dog, and the fact that they provide free calls anywhere. A true boutique experience.
The first night we were surprised with a beautiful romantic arrangement in the room and tub, which we appreciated very much.
Breakfast is delicious, with a wonderful variety of fruits, cereals and even an a la carte menu that you can choose from. My hsuband and I had fun reading the funny quotes on the table and the servers shirts which adds another nice little funky detail to the whole experience.The dishes are presented beautifully, as well as the coffee (props to Esty the barista) with a pretty little foam leaf decorating the cup. They only use Illy coffee and Ronnefeldt tea (even for breakfast)... As they say themselves...life is too short to drink bad coffee. As if that wasnt already enough, they cure and smoke their own salmon, make their own muesli, their own jams, and bake wonderful Nutella filled croissants...
The restaurant itself is very good, specially the pizzas, which were amongst the best I ever had.
The pool is beautiful and has the most amazing unobstructed view of the ocean, and is conveniently located right next to the bar, so you can easily order drinks without having to get out of the pool, and enjoy it while sitting in a bar stool inside the water. The sun loungers are different, but in a good way, and very comfortable. If anything, there should be a few more (as well as parasols).
They will constantly surprise you with little things, such as cold towels when it is very hot, small frozen fruit shakes, fresh fruit, tiny frozen coffees and even the ocassional glass of champagne....what a way to show the love!!
The hotel offers a free shuttle service to Fishermans village as well as Chaweng beach, which makes it very accessible and still wonderfully secluded. I heard they will be adding a late night shuttle which will make it even better.
They offer 14 free yoga classes a week with very professional instructors, and the gym is exceptionally well equipped, which was wonderful for me as I have enjoyed a yoga class almost every day.
The spa is also wonderful. They offer various treatments and packages you can choose from, and they give the most delicious Thai massage I have ever had.
My review could not be complete without mentioning the absolutely WONDERFUL staff they have. Robert, the manager has assembled an amazing team. Special thanks to Armani in the front desk who made every evening an event in itself, and made our stay even more memorable, and Sao from the restaurant who is the sweetest, most genuine person and always has a smile to offer every single guest. I cannot thank them enough for making each of our days fantastic and bending over backwards to satisfy our every whim.
Please do not listen to any of the crazy bad reviews. There is really NOTHING to complain about....(specially Martina201 and johnB) and I say this after speaking with many guests who couldnt praise the hotel enough. Nobody here wants to leave!!
Thank you Mantra for making this place a true home away from home and for gving us the best experience at what I would dare call the BEST hotel ever.
Cant wait to come back!! (and i have not even left yet!!)

Room Tip: Every single room is beautiful and unique. I remember reading that cozy 223 has a noisy pump underne...
5 Thank Valetejada
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I have just arrived back from a 19 day visit to the Mantra, all in all a very pleasant and inspirational resort, healthy eating was promoted here with the all the fine fresh foods on offer, Breakfast was exceptional lots of different choices if you care to venture past the eggs, Smoked Salmon is prepared and smoked on the premises and was absoloutly lovely, great to go with the egg florentine, the birch musli is a must, the chef is A+ his dishes were mouthwatering. we loved reading all the quotes on the tables every morning and trying to read them on the staff shirts really made us chuckle.
We had room 349 a wow room and yes.... our reaction when we first walked in was WOW! it was the furthest away but it was great as no-one overlooked us and we never had to close our curtains so we had the amazing view during the night too. house keeping was good, shower a little tempremental i always had hot water other half didnt lol i told him it was all in the touch! never had a problem with bugs but hey we are in the forest, nature all around and we could have sworn we heard monkeys howling in the trees lol unless that was the wine :)
The pool looked great however we did not go in as we love the beach and the area around the pool is quite small, we did sunbathe on the top terrace which was nice and quiet and relaxing but alas no parasols and it was rather hot for my boyfriend, i did phone reception to see if there were any spare ones but there wasnt so maybe that is a suggestion. im sure if there had have been, more people would have sunbathed there as the view is great.
As far as the roads are concerned yes they are steep especially if you walked to the top (phew!) but golf buggies are available if your not feeling too energetic and are quite a giggle. only serious people can moan about them, chill relax, see the fun in it your on holiday! we actually walked to fishermans village from the hotel i think it took us about 3/4 hour and walked back! but we did get a lift off the bus halfway up the hill which was on its way back from Cheweng.
The shuttles are a bonus although we went to fishermans village on friday as it was walking street and the atmosphere was great just a pity the bus leaves at 8.15 as walking street dosnt really kick off till 5.30 -6.00pm so maybe just on fridays for this occasion a bit later perhaps?
The staff here are truly a credit to the management nothing is too much trouble, although we never asked for anything (other than the parasol) we watched how they dealt with other customers and always with a smile, the way we see it treat with respect and the rewards are endless.
We hired a jeep for 4 days which the hotel arranged for us, i think it worked out about £30 a day with insurance included which wasnt bad and we were able to go sightseeing at our leisure, although we did what we wanted to see in two days as samui is so small it gave us our independence.
All in all a great stay at the Mantra with attention to small details ie: mattress toppers the most comfortable bed we have slept in ever! we thought nothing could beat ours but... also china cup and saucers for Tea great!
i would definatly recommend this hotel and im sure in the very near future it will be quite hard to book as it will be full. shame that we were not really into Samui as much but glad we went and had a brilliant holiday. Thanks Mantra :)

Room Tip: room 349, great view, not overlooked
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Moetbubbles
Ahmedabad, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

We were travelling with a friends and had booked the hotel online thinking it was a good deal. However, on arriving we found the hotel completely different from wht we had imagined. It sits on a top of a hill (and i can say definitely very high) and secluded from the rest of kohsamui. So, you have to depend on their shuttle service which was very undependable to take you to town. You absolulutely cannot commute on your own. They have scooters but the slopes are too steep for you to manage. Also, commuting even within the hotel is quite tedious as it is on slopes and have to wait for a golf cart to even take you to the pool area or breakfast area.
The view however was excellent and i must give credit to.
On check out we were greeted with a horrendous experience. The staff accused us of stealing a bag, which obviously we did not have. On checking the room again on our insistence they did find it, however instead of apologising she started shouting at us and abusing us saying that we were thieves and it is expected of us. Definitely racist behaviour towards indians. The manager and owner Robert then intervened only to further accuse us and shout at us and tell us to leave his property this instant or he would have us all killed and buried there and nobody would even know. The children got really scared and he just kept threatening us. We had a good mind to file a police complaint but our flights were booked and since we had children, didnt want to get involved.
Very racist manager and a horrendous experience.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
24 Thank AnarPatel
Budapest, Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

Wow! We absolutely loved this resort! A new property with a beautiful location, first class facilities and a fantastic pool area... Most relaxing hotel we ever stayed at, will definitely be back.

Staff is really friendly and caring and the service is outstanding. The rooms are very cozy with excellent equipment (the beds are super comfortable... :)) The pool is amazing and the view is unique. Really five star - at reasonable prices.

It was a great vacation... Great job and thank you guys!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andeandi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Baywater Resort Samui
Lanna Samui
Lanna Samui
#5 of 187 in Bophut
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,014 reviews

Been to Mantra Samui Resort? Share your experiences!