I won't bother to trot out a lengthy review going on about all the positives, others have done that more than adequately. Suffice to say that the room (we had a cozy) was excellent, the gym was great, and the breakfast was outstanding. Whilst the hill is steep, staying in a Cozy meant that we were only one flight of stairs away from everything, so this wasn't an issue in the slightest.
There are a couple of things which I think they could do to improve this place:
(1) They need more shade in the pool area, an extra parasol between each of the double bed loungers would do it. They need to put parasols in the sun deck area as well - at the moment you can't really use this in the heat of the day as there is no shade up there at all - this would help to deal with the problem that there aren't really enough loungers around the pool for everyone.
(2) We were disappointed that the restaurant and bar area were so dead at night - it was low season when we went, but about half of the rooms were occupied I think so would have expected more people around. However, I think the drinks are so overpriced that it drives people away from the hotel so it ended up being dead. It was 170BHT for a singha beer, which you can get for 40-50BHT in a bar. I can buy a bottle of beer for £3 in London - why am I paying more for it in Thailand?! The price of the cocktails was just a bit silly as well given what they cost down the road. Personally it seems to me that they would make more money by dropping their prices by 50% and actually gettings some bodies through the door - there were only 4/5 couples in total eating there every night we were there.
(3) Consider child free policy - this resort's marketing policy is very obviously to make itself out as a couples' retreat. I was a bit disappointed that whilst we where there were a group of at least 4 families travelling together all with several children. They descended on the pool every afternoon and suddenly there were 15/16 children screaming and splashing everywhere for a couple of hours, driving people trying to read a book in peace away from the pool. Not really what I was expecting and whilst the hotel can obviously do very little to stop this once people have arrived, I don't really see what they would lose by going child-free as almost all of the guests were couples without children (no doubt as a result of the way they market themselves as a couples retreat...).
Anyway, despite these minor niggles, this was still a 5* for me. Really enjoyed my relaxing 5 day stay here. In particular the value was amazing, we were paying £70 a night for bed and breakfast - recommend that people book direct and take advantage of the cancellation policy (you can cancel 48 hours in advance for no extra charge and rebook at a lower rate if they are not full - we did this twice in the lead up to our stay and ended up paying half what we originally booked it for - just check availability and rate first before you cancel!!).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on a hillside in the popular town of Bophut, Mantra Samui Resort offers guests some of the most spectacular panoramic views of Koh Samui's beautiful coastline. Guests can enjoy these views in peace while being only a short distance from countless shops, an array of local restaurants and some of the most stunning beaches you have ever seen. The complimentary shuttle bus service allows ease of travel to all of these local hotspots. The hotel has a wide range of comfortable yet luxurious rooms, most of which have an amazing ocean view. On-site facilities are available for guests to enjoy, including; superb cuisine at Ubuntu Restaurant, an infinity pool with wonderful views of the island, a variety of treatments at the ''Splendid Spa'', a yoga studio with Himalayan Salt Bricks - offering complimentary classes daily, and a top of the range fitness center which is open 24 hours a day. Mantra Samui Resort also has a 24-hour staff-service for guests. If assistance is required at any time of the day, simply ask and one of the team will be happy to help. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Mantra Samui Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra Samui Hotel Bophut
- Mantra Samui Resort Ko Samui/Bophut