Mantra Samui Resort
Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
US$200
US$172
  • Pool
Nora Buri Resort & Spa(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
US$188
US$172
Agoda.com
Chaweng Garden Beach Resort(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$81
Agoda.com
Sareeraya Villas & Suites(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
US$312
US$257
Agoda.com
Melati Beach Resort & Spa(Bophut)(Great Value!)
US$177
US$164
Chaweng Regent Beach Resort(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
US$205
US$142
Agoda.com
ibis Samui Bophut(Bophut)(Great Value!)
US$49
US$36
Agoda.com
Muang Samui Spa Resort(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
US$260
US$247
  • Breakfast included
Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
US$239
Travelocity
Amari Koh Samui(Chaweng)(Great Value!)
US$139
1,871 results
All reviewslove roomsteep hillinfinity poolwow roomsshuttle serviceshuttle busesyoga classesfree shuttlegolf buggiesocean view roomour honeymoonfisherman's villagethe main roadlarge balconybreakfast was amazingrent a scooterbophut beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 June 2012

You can´t go wrong with this hotel, the place is truly beautiful, the rooms are spacious and so comfortable, full with small details, the food is to die for absolutely delicious in a great restaurant next to the pool with amazing views of the sea. They really mean it when the say 5 stars hotel.
But even this is not the best feature of the hotel. We found the staff fantastic!! truly beautiful people. So helpful, always with a smile, so attentive and warm.
Is the best hotel in Koh Samui with the best staff in Thailand

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I have recently returned from an 8 night stay at the Mantra Samui Resort. In a nutshell, the resort was one of the most accommodating, welcoming and enjoyable resorts I have ever stayed in - something made possible by the tireless efforts of all the staff who could not do enough for the guests. Whether it be the day to day service in the restaurant, asking advice of reception staff or booking day trips, nothing was ever a problem and everything was done with ultimate efficiency and professionalism.

The resort itself is incredibly luxurious with large modern and well furnished rooms. What would often be charged as extras as many other resorts are available free of charge at Mantra notably free wireless internet across the resort and PC's in each room complete with pre-loaded films and music, complimentary airport transfers and complimentary shuttle bus services around the island. These extras ensure that the resort provides excellent value for money which is already very competitively priced compared to other resorts on Ko Samui.

The whole ethos of the resort is strikingly and refreshingly different to many other hotels/resort chains and this does give the Mantra a unique feel - something characterised by the outdoor jacuzzi bath and large sun-lounger on our room balcony.

Additionally, the hotel restaurant serves some wonderful food, with a choice of traditional thai dishes or standard western dishes - both were equally tasty. The food was also very resonably priced given the standard and quality; which was amongst the best I sampled while holidaying on Ko Samui. The breakfasts were also plentiful and cooked/prepared to the same high standard.

A complimentary 15 minute spa treatment in the hotel spa convinced me to book further treatments for me and my partner and I'm glad I did. The value for money was again excellent, and service fantastic.

The resort is located on a steep hill (which does give brilliant sea views but natually makes accessing the hotel slightly difficult). The hotel is fairly remote in relation to other hotels and the main centres of Bohput and Chaweng however this is overcome by the complimentary shuttle bus services to both locations provided by the hotel. Staff also provide complimentary buggy services around the resort itself if the steep gradients prove to challenging! Additionally, if a late night out in Chaweng results in the need for a taxi ride back to the hotel, my experience suggests that the hotel is widely recognised by taxi drivers who are willing to drive up the hill to the resort.

However, the access road is in an extremely poor state of repair with large potholes and uneven surfacing. I would be concerned that any further deterioration in the road surface would make it difficult for taxis to negotiate it (possibly resulting in higher fares to compensate or a refusal to take guests up the hill). Additionally, first impressions when arriving at the hotel are undoubtedly influenced by the state of the road (although any negative concerns are quickly put at ease by the standard of the resort following check-in).

The second issue I feel compelled to raise is that of drink prices in the resort. While food prices are very reasonable, the same cannot be said for drinks which are amongst the most expensive I experienced on Ko Samui. Strangely, many of the cocktails were the same/similar price to many main courses on the food menu.

Whilst many beachfront hotel bars on Chaweng beach charged similar prices (albeit I didn't find any quite as highly priced as Mantra, and I visited plenty!) these were often complimented by extensive happy hour periods providing 2-for 1 promotions; making them more affordable.

This is something Mantra may want to think about; the resort is truly wonderful but I did resent paying the same (or more) for drinks as I would usually do in the UK, particularly when knowing what the same drinks could be purchased for elsewhere on Ko Samui. Additionally, lower drink prices would raise the profile of the bar / restaurant and entice more guests to stay in the hotel and use the facilities on site rather than go elsewhere. During our stay, the restaurant was never particularly full when we visited and this is despite learning the resort intend to open 2 further restaurants on site in the near future.

The resort is a truly magnificent resort which has thought very much about the comfort of guests providing excellent facilities and service that ensures a wonderful and relaxing holiday. If the access road and drinks prices were to be addressed, the resort would improve from magnificant to perfect.

I had the most wonderful 8 nights at Mantra and would recommend it to anyone visiting Samui and would love to return myself one day in the future.

Room Tip: Pick the 'LOVE' rooms, the outdoor jacuzzi and facilities are fantastic.
3  Thank Richard P
Reviewed 17 June 2012

The good bits...
There are many! The staff are absolutely fantastic; they cannot do enough for you and everyone (from reception to housekeeping) has a smile for you. There are lots of little personal touches, such as turning down the beds and leaving little messages and presents on them. Our room was large, spacious, well furnished and had a fantastic view (truly amazing!) We had complimentary toiletries, including mouthwash and toothpaste, which was appreciated. The in-room entertainment system is awesome... music, movies and internet on a large plasma screen. The pool is beautiful with a panoramic view; the sunbeds are very comfortable and there are even submerged beds for lying half in the water. The pool has a shower and toilets right next door, as well as a bar. We were given delicious juice and cool face towels on arrival, and were ferried to our room by golf cart whenever we felt too lazy to walk. The location is a bit high up and remote but, as we rented a bike, we found this a positive thing because it was secluded, peaceful and amid trees and wildlife. The breakfast is excellent with a lot of choice; we particularly enjoyed the homemade eggs, selection of cereals/dried fruit/nuts/yoghurt and very good dark bread and croissants. We also liked that we could order any type of coffee or tea to accompany our breakfast. On two occasions I needed to kick start the rental bike, and a member of staff helped me straight away.
The bad bits...
Nothing that affected us a great deal, but the shower was either very hot or very cold and we couldn't manage to get it a medium temperature. There is not really enough space around the pool; sunbeds are limited at midday and you have to walk very close to other people to get in the pool. Like all hotels of this sort, drinks and food are insanely expensive. My mum ordered a bacardi and coke, and was charged 310 baht! (in fisherman's village you can get cocktails for 50 baht on the street). There is a huge electricity pylon right outside reception (necessary but very ugly!).
Overall...
We had a great stay and loved our room and the view. Breakfast and service was fantastic. For the price we paid for a twin room, it was excellent value and we would definitely recommend this hotel to others, and stay here again ourselves.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Whale_shark_23
Reviewed 16 June 2012

As part of our trip to Thailand, we went to Koh Samui for eight days to ensure that we were able to get a relaxing break with beach, sunshine and lots of relaxation. Whilst the island itself offered a lot of this, our resort, the relatively new Mantra Samui was a fantastic contribution.

Not only were the rooms amazing, but the actual resort itself has some service and features that can only be embraced. Upon arrival, we were issued with a ‘passport’ which is literally your passport to the resort. It includes details about the spa (and a complimentary 15-minute massage for two), timings for the shuttle to Chaweng beach and Fishermans Village (free of charge) and dining options.

The breakfast buffet is second to none with fresh fruits, cereal, hot food and a great selection of tea and coffee. We felt that it was a really good selection to cater for all tastes and delicious every single time.

The hotel also features a gym, open 24/7 for a health conscious which includes a steam room and sauna (if the heat of Koh Samui isn’t enough ). There are also daily yoga classes provided free of charge for all guests but you do need to book your attendance. The pool is a good size with sunken loungers should you wish to be partially in the water – a nice touch.

Other activities are also provided at the Mantra Samui, such as a cocktail making class (we didn’t get to attend) and a cookery class (which we loved). The cookery class was hosted in the restaurant by Jume, a sous-chef that ran through how to prepare a mussaman curry and green curry – both Thai favourites. The classes were detailed, easy to follow and we even got samples of the food afterwards which was delicious.

The location of the hotel is up in the hills providing a fantastic view during both the day and night. We made use of the shuttle wherever possible with occasional taxis. A taxi from Chaweng beach to the hotel was around 500 baht (£10). We chose to hire a moped instead which worked out cheaper and allowed us more control over where we wanted to go and when.

Overall, I can’t fault the Mantra Samui. Nothing is too much for the staff to help with, at every turn they are ready to assist in any way necessary. When I was ill, they provided fresh ginger and hot water to make tea in my room (free of charge). Whether it is with booking transfers, getting directions or advice on places to go, the staff at Mantra make the stay simply, well, idyllic and top class.

Full review and photos at: http://adlibtraveller.wordpress.com/2012/06/10/mantra-samui-resort-koh-samui-thailand/

Room Tip: Go for the Love Jacuzzi Oasis (if you arent staying with children). It's worth the extra. We had room number 162 which had a spectacular view.
3  Thank AdlibTraveller
Reviewed 16 June 2012

My boyfriend and I have just returned after staying for 9 nights at Mantra and it's safe to say that we did not want to leave. I have never stayed in a hotel anything like it and was overwhelmed by the service and surroundings. We arrived at night and were a bit nervous during the hilly drive up to the hotel however I had read about the hotel and knew it was on a steep hill so it wasn't a surprise. Once we arrived at reception we saw just how lovely the hotel and staff were. The golf buggy service is great...dial 9 and you can get anything you want, even if it just a lift down to the pool! The room and bathroom were perfect and the view was amazing. The food, the pool, the staff, the buggy service, the shuttle, the FREE transfer to and from airport, the moped hire, free international calls, free wifi were all AMAZING. I cannot wait to go back! I don't see how anybody could give this hotel less than a 5* rating! Loved it!