“We were sad to leave, but we'll be back!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mantra Samui Resort

Mantra Samui Resort
Ranked #23 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
Christchurch, United Kingdom
“We were sad to leave, but we'll be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Mantra is by no means the poshest hotel we've stayed at, but it was one of the best hotel experiences I've had. I was genuinely sad to leave, but we're heading back for our last night in Samui. Service is exceptional - the staff are happy, courteous, helpful and attentive. The management have done a superior job of training staff to live and breathe the mantra way of doing things. We stayed in a love room with a jacuzzi and a 'wow' room. Both were lovely. Breakfast is delicious - it'll make you want to get out of bed in the morning! The pool is a bit chilly, but it's huge - I swam laps and there was always somewhere to sit around the pool as well. The gym was another highlight and there's also a squash court and yoga classes. The shuttle service to Chewang and Bophut was reliable and a real perk. While we stayed at Mantra, my husband suffered a pretty severe injury while running. The staff showed genuine care and did everything they could to help us while he recuperated, including giving him buckets of ice and offering to take us to the hospital.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

My partner and I had a great 4 nights in Mantra Samui - we stayed in a LOVE room, which we loved! Nice bathroom, very comfy bed, and amazing views over the bay and very clean. However, we didn't really spend much time in the room - we were by the pool most of time!

The infinity pool was lovely, it was great to get drinks pool side and we really enjoyed the included breakfast and food in the restaurant generally.

Prices for food and drinks were mid-range - nowhere near as cheap as Chang Mai, but not as expensive as in Phuket. $5 - $7 AUD drinks. We really loved how you could 'upgrade' your drinks by choosing more expensive spirits etc - that was an interesting touch we hadn't seen before.

We booked more than 3 months in advance so got an amazing room rate - something like $90/night including breakfast for the two of us. So we were happy to spend a bit on food and drinks while we were there.

The breakfast is spectacular - as well as freshly made bacon and eggs etc it includes duck / salmon / potato salad etc! We had a large breakfast then didn't need to eat anything until the afternoon! Good coffee too :)

The resort is a bit out of the way but if all you want to do is lounge by the pool in great surroundings then this place ticks all the boxes!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank queenjojo02
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed in this beautiful hotel in early dec 2013, What a brilliant hotel it was, infinity pool, wifi, We had our own jacuzzi, free international calls and the one my wife liked was the Hard drive with latest movies to watch.
This hotel was really outstanding and would recommend
The staff really make you feel welcome.

Room Tip: love jacuzzi room, amazing sea view if your on your honeymoon. So romantic.
Cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed at the Mantra for 6 nights mid December and had the best 6 days of a 3 week holiday, the hotel and staff were simply excellent. We stayed in a "Love" room and it was amazing with stunning views. We booked a pickup from the airport by e mail with the Mantra which was 400TBH, its free if you had booked the hotel direct. A smiling face greeted us and the journey was about 25 minutes with the driver pointing out all the sites on the way. We were welcomed with a drink and cold towel and checked in. A golf caddy gave us a tour of the site and took us to our room with the bags following promptly. First impressions of the room were O.M.G. amazing and the view was stunning. The computer, TV, free phone calls, Jacuzzi, room service, etc. were all explained. As per other reviews they only provide a sheet, however as explained on arriving, a simple call to reception and a duvet was in our room within minutes. The pool was excellent, very clean and a view to die for. Yes there were limited loungers, however we never had a problem getting one whatever time we went there, and there is an additional sun terrace or your own balcony to use anyway. Fresh clean towels, iced water and occasional complimentary free drinks were provided. The gym was the best I have come across in a hotel, once again with the stunning views to keep you going. A nice touch was they launder 3 items of sports kit free a day if you use the gym, its back in your room the next day. The location is a bit remote, up a long narrow lane which is not really practical to walk, however that is also its best point as you are not in the hustle and bustle of a beach hotel, and you don't get the views at them. We used the free shuttle buses quite a bit and found them excellent, often putting on additional buses if the demand required. It was a great opportunity to mix and chat and we met some lovely people from all over the globe. We did take a taxi 1 night which was 400 TBH. Staff were excellent, most spoke very good English and those who didn't would find someone who did. This was by far the friendliest hotel we have stayed in with all staff smiling and saying hello, even the gardeners and maintenance staff. Its the small touches and attention to detail that make this place. The hotel is on a very steep hill and if you have mobility problems then maybe think twice about booking here, however with the buggy service provided its not a major issue, just call and they are there in minutes. If I had to give some constructive criticism the section from the pool to the gym etc. needs a hand rail as its extremely steep and can be slippery if wet. Overall an outstanding place to stay and I am at a loss why there has been a few negative comments recently, speak with the staff, show them respect and if you have any issues just tell them, they will go out of their way to resolve them. If you want the Hilton on the beach, then pay their prices and book it. If you want an excellent hotel away from the crowds, with first class friendly service book here.

Room Tip: The Love room 132 was amazing
Launceston, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Stayed for 5 nights and had a relaxing holiday and was well tended by friendly staff. I found the grounds to be well maintained, swimming pool a delight - but not enough sun loungers in area - always full when we went down. Breakfast in restaurant stunning - and lots to choose from. Room was large, clean and airy - view from balcony sensational - and one evening we watched fireworks from down below. Complementary bus service to Chaweng and Bophut beach necessary as hotel up in the hills and too far to walk to any beaches; alternately you can rent a scooter for 24 hours for 300baht. Even though I really enjoyed my time at this resort, next time i will be looking at staying at Chaweng beach - right on the beach.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shelli H
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Mantra Samui over our Christmas 2013 holiday.

Just to start off, we are avid travelers and currently live in Singapore. I have been to Thailand four times this year and this was my first time to Koh Samui. We typically stay at Starwood Hotels as we are SPG members but, I decided to book a different experience as I am a fan of boutique luxury hotels/resorts and this came highly recommended on TripAdvisor. Usually, TripAdvisor reviews are fantastic however, for this resort, the reviews are way off.

To begin with, I had booked pick-up from the airport in Koh Samui directly with the resort and had a confirmation email that we would have transport, this was not the case. After waiting at the meeting point for 15 minutes and asking for assistance our driver never showed up so we booked a taxi from the airport, this put a very sour taste in our mouth and was really no way to start our holiday. At check-in, we informed the receptionist who was assisting us that we did not get our airport pick-up. She walked away with no apology and returned with our check-in paperwork and a slip saying we owed 400Baht for our airport pick-up...that we NEVER had. We informed her of this again and she again walked away, no apology, and proceeded to get on the phone with the driver and have a 15 minute conversation with him as we were standing there waiting to check-in, seriously unprofessional! Never in my 14 destinations I have traveled to this year have I been forgotten at the airport!

On a positive note, our room, when we finally got to it, was gorgeous! The views are stunning and we did like that they offered many movie choices.

We arrived around lunch time and decided to change and go down to the pool area for drinks, lunch and a swim :). This sadly, did not happen. At the restaurant, we were told that they were not serving food until noon, nothing, not even a poolside menu was offered to us. So, we went over to the pool area to wait for 45 minutes until the kitchen opened. We were given horrible, ragged, and DIRTY towels and the lounge chairs were SO uncomfortable, the WORST! I also realized after sitting there for 15 minutes that they offered NO poolside drink service so, we were now starving, with dirty towels, and no drinks. Finally, it was noon and we could eat, the food overall was decent, nothing special but fine.

After lunch we decided to go down to reception and book a tour for the next day. We are big on sailing and boating and wanted to book a private catamaran tour. We were assisted by a girl who could barely speak English, like all their other staff, and had no idea how to go about booking tours that this hotel apparently offered. We were then assisted by another woman, we chose our tour and on the pamphlet and the website it said $16,000Baht for the day, we were fine with this and gave her the 'okay' to call and book. She comes back flustered five minutes later and tells us that the man who runs the company is bad and rude and she found another company and the price was now $22,000Baht, ridiculous! We were so fed up, we went all the way back up the giant hill to our rooms and I decided to do some research myself for a tour online. I went back to reception about half an hour later solo, to ask for assistance in calling a few other companies I found on my own, since their staff is incapable of helping. Again, she went away and within three minutes returned said she called all the companies on my list, not possible in three minutes, and found a better company and the price was now $25,000Baht, this was ludicrous! I asked her to dial the number of the original company I had asked her to book with as I would speak directly to the owner, in a huff she did this for me. I was on the phone with the owner for 15 minutes where he explained to me how he refuses to deal with Mantra Samui as they are seriously unprofessional, that the staff are unable to properly book as they have no English speaking capabilities and he has issues being paid from the hotel. He was actually very nice to me and said he would love to take us out tomorrow on one of his many catamarans and felt so bad for us that he gave us a discount and booked us at $14,000Baht for a full day of island hopping, however we would have to pay him directly as he wanted no dealings with our hotel.

That evening, after such a horrible start to our vacation, we decided to pop over to The W for drinks. Upon arrival we were greeted so nicely and had such a lovely time we also decided to book dinner. After dinner, we inquired about actually moving to the hotel. They were of course fully booked however, they had one room left for Christmas Day into Boxing Day and we took it as we were so desperate to get away from the horrific service we were experiencing at Mantra.

The next day we had a fabulous time on our catamaran and that evening went out to dinner on Christmas Eve at Dining on the Rocks Restaurant. I went down to reception at Mantra to book a cab and since we had given all our Thai Baht to the owner of the catamaran company, we needed a money exchanger. Of course, the hotel didn't exchange money, every hotel I have ever stayed at has offered this service EXCEPT Mantra. We asked the receptionist if we could either charge the taxi to our room or if she could tell him we need to go to a money exchanger on the way. She said we couldn't charge it to our room and he could take us to an ATM, we needed a money exchanger not an ATM, yet another example of the seriously poor communication. We went up to another reception staff who told us apparently we could charge it to our room but at this point we were so fed up we got into our cab and he took us to exchange money. We had another lovely dinner away from Mantra that evening.

The next day we left and checked into The W and had an absolutely flawless day there, a gorgeous Christmas brunch and a very relaxing stay. We had a late check out the next day and enjoyed a luxurious spa treatment.

We are now back at Mantra for tonight and leave tomorrow. While we did have a wonderful vacation overall, the fact that booking a tour was so difficult, the communication was so poor and the service was terrible, I would never recommend this resort to anyone and we would never return. They have a very long way to go before they are on a 'boutique luxury' level. I will now always be sticking with the hotel chains I know as this experience was so negative for us.

A few other notes, they do not offer comforters in the rooms, we got really chilly and had to call down for one, they should automatically give them. The shower went from scalding hot to freezing cold and I could never get the temperature right, very un-enjoyable.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Joanna N
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Tripadvisor

Thank you for leaving a review I am glad that we have a chance to respond to it.

It is clear that you had a frustrating experience at our Front Office and I am sorry for that.

After reviewing the incident is it clear that this has been a communication issue. I believe that a litle kindness and understadning towards someone whose mother tongue is not English would have gone a long way help solve this otherwise quite trivial issue.
We always ask our Colleagues to let Guest and eachother know if they do not understand something but Khun Dao was clearly intimidated by the lound tone of voice and failed to do that.

We have talked to her again that it is ok to not understand something and she can feel free to let others know about it to avoid miscommunication.

I am sorry that you did not let us know about this issue during your stay because we could have helped and solve the situation easily. The next day our Front Office Manager – Khun Nok has approached you to check if everything is ok but you did not bring up this issue.

We are proud to be an independently owned boutiqe resort. Our atmosphere is genuinely friendly exactly because we hire genuinely friendly colleagues and we understadn that the only way our Guests can have a good time is if our colleagues feel appreciated.

For the benefit of future travelers:

As the average temperature of Samui is 32 degrees our Standard Room Set Up includes sheets. This method is quite standard among environmentally conscious hotels to avoid wasting energy because usually duvets require the excess cooling of the rooms.

Of course duvets can be requested through dialing Front Office and duvets will be delivered very shortly.

At Mantra we serve our breakfast between 7am and 11am. Guests who leave the hotel earlier are provided with take away breakfast upon request. To keep food hygine at its highest level our kitchen undergoes a daily deep clean between 11am and noon and during this period we do not serve lunch. We have been open for over 2 years and have not had a negative comment about this.

We are careful not to exaggerate all future Guests can have a look at our website to see what Mantra is like.
Robert
r.mayer@mantrasamui.com
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

Rooms were good, however r wifi did not work at all in our room, the PC always froze and had black lines through it and if you wanted to watch tv you had to sit on the couch.

More shuttles were needed and the ones they had were at inconvenient times (made it difficult to eat dinner anywhere else because you would be down at bophut for hours).

I know space is an issue however you had to get up early if you wanted a lounge by the pool because there are only about 25 seats.

Food at the restaurant was limited and didn't taste that great, very overpriced.

Overall nice place, but our stay at Amari on Chaweng Beach was much more pleasurable.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Baywater Resort Samui
Lanna Samui
Lanna Samui
#5 of 187 in Bophut
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,014 reviews

Been to Mantra Samui Resort? Share your experiences!