We booked in for 10 nights in December but only ended up staying for 8. Problems with '5 STAR' rating this hotel has been given I will begin to list below.
Pool area - ONLY HAS SPACE FOR 30 GUESTS. Whilst the hotel can cater for 150 people. Loungers were taken very early on in the morning, with people saving them before they had even finished breakfast, We managed to get a bed twice on our holiday.
Food - Is very substandard. A lot of the things on the menu was not available when we asked for them. They constantly got our orders wrong. One example of bad food was a beef burger that would not have fed a three yr old child. It is no way 5 star food (pictures shown). 3 at best with over inflated prices. Most of the food seemed pre packaged food, Burgers were not homemade and do not cost a lot to make yourself. The pasta was pre bought making eating at this hotel expensive and bland.
Rooms - We stayed in a love room. A constant smell of sewage in the room as the drainage was in the bathroom under the shower. There was a tea light under the sink are obviously to combat this problem however not one was there provided tea lights for this. We had to sleep with the light on that also put the extractor fan on during the night to combat the awful smell. Shower, was the word shower experience of my life and I have stayed in budget hotels and had better than this supposed 5 star experience. It went scalding hot to cold in about 2 minutes, constantly. The entire duration of the holiday. The in room tv's were not rotational so you could not watch films whilst in bed. The hard drive the provide with a library of movies had a funny connection which my husband had to fix everyday to make the move appear normal and now out of focus.
On site movie theatre - This always smelt of stagnant water so who would want to sit in there for 2 hours to watch a film I don't know.
The hotel seems to want to be a eco resort, asking you to save water, to not request sheets and towels to be cleaned more than every 3 days. However they then have Jacuzzis on balconies and the house maids run the taps in the bathrooms for ten minutes whilst they are cleaning the rest of the room. The Jacuzzi you actually cannot even use, since the water trickles out going from scalding to cold yet again. To fill a Jacuzzi would take 1hr minimum. Hardly economical or helping the environment but yet the Mantra is all about saving water. Go figure. The curtains around the Jacuzzi are pretty disgusting, mould all over them.
The location of the hotel is at least 4km from the beach. You cannot walk this. The location of the hotel is just completely un practical to people wanting be able to leave the hotel on foot.
Good things about the hotel are that most of the staff seemed friendly enough. Rooms are a decent size although run down. The view from most of the rooms is amazing. Breakfast was good with a good selection. The shuttle bus service is good however they could be at better times, especially in the evenings. The gym is very good. If you are a gym goer you will appreciate them gym, you can also get protein shakes here.
This hotel has the facilities to tick the boxes as a 5 star hotel, however it is basically like staying in a three star. There is just not enough attention to what matters, the problems in the rooms. Pool area. Quality of food. Our stay was very disappointing and we ended up leaving early. Something many people seem to do at this hotel. I would recommend this hotel if you want to spend 2/3 days just doing nothing and can get this hotel at a good price as we have read other reviews of people getting this hotel a lot cheaper than what we had paid for it. 70GBP per night would be a good price for this hotel and achievable from other reviews I have read.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on a hillside in the popular town of Bophut, Mantra Samui Resort offers guests some of the most spectacular panoramic views of Koh Samui's beautiful coastline. Guests can enjoy these views in peace while being only a short distance from countless shops, an array of local restaurants and some of the most stunning beaches you have ever seen. The complimentary shuttle bus service allows ease of travel to all of these local hotspots. The hotel has a wide range of comfortable yet luxurious rooms, most of which have an amazing ocean view. On-site facilities are available for guests to enjoy, including; superb cuisine at Ubuntu Restaurant, an infinity pool with wonderful views of the island, a variety of treatments at the ''Splendid Spa'', a yoga studio with Himalayan Salt Bricks - offering complimentary classes daily, and a top of the range fitness center which is open 24 hours a day. Mantra Samui Resort also has a 24-hour staff-service for guests. If assistance is required at any time of the day, simply ask and one of the team will be happy to help. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with World Independent Hotel Promotion, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Mantra Samui Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra Samui Hotel Bophut
- Mantra Samui Resort Ko Samui/Bophut