“Stunning Views, Fantastic Service”

Mantra Samui Resort
Ranked #16 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Unfortunately we only stayed one night at the Mantra. Lovely hotel, attentive staff, large rooms with a massive bathtub. Although we only stayed the one night, we enjoyed the facility’s the Mantra had to offer. Free yoga, free international calls, free movie selection. The food was good and cocktails delicious, my ONLY negative would be that there were not enough sun loungers by the pool. This is defiantly a beautiful couples retreat. We very much look forward to visiting the Mantra on our next visit to Koh Samui.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 January 2014

When my husband and I arrived at the hotel we were very disappointed! We couldn't believe how far it was from the beach. From the pictures on the website we thought we were close (ish). The reality is quite disappointing. The reception area is basic and once we'd checked in we were taken by golf cart to the pool/restaurant area and then our room. The room was basic (compared to what we expected and what we were staying in, in Phuket). We had the spa on the deck but only used that once. It's open for all other guests to see and honestly it was a bit weird. The pool area was beautiful but it didn't have enough day beds. People would reserve seats in the morning, therefore many people couldn't get a seat around the pool. The shuttle service is handy but there isn't enough services. The times for drop offs and collections are weird and not enough options. The reception staff often appeared disinterested in your questions and not really friendly. The waiting staff however were FABULOUS! We had one great waiter called 'Man' who was very hard working. From reviews, we thought the breakfast was going to be amazing, but it couldn't have been further from the truth. We thought it was very basic and lacking for a 'luxury resort'. We would not stay her again due to location and facilities.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LeahRobbo
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Leah,

I would like to thank you for contributing to the tripadvisor community with your review.

I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations with regards to our location.

Careful never to exaggerate we provide an accurate description on our website with regards to our location and I believe the pictures also show clearly that we are not a beachfront hotel. The text in our website says that with our complimentary shuttle we are less than 10 minutes from Bophut and less than 20 minutes from Chaweng.

I believe that is an accurate description.

We are very proud to our location and consider it our biggest advantage (apart from our truly amazing colleagues). We chose to build Mantra on a hill because we wanted to be able to provide rooms that where Guest can enjoy amazing views over the sea. For people who would like to enjoy spectacular
views all day Mantra is a very good choice.

While design is certainly a matter of taste I was sorry and surprised to read that you found our rooms to be basic. The room you have stayed in has hand-made furniture from Thailand and also includes hand painted art above the headboard.

In terms of amenities, all our rooms have Illy espresso machines, computers with thousands of complimentary movies, IP phones with unlimited complimentary international phone calls, Ipod docking stations, mini bars with healthy options, complimentary Wifi, air conditioning, flat screen tv and your room (standard) also included a kitchenette.

All our rooms use 300 thread count luxury cotton and all our bathroom amenities are environmentally friendly and represent the highest level luxury.

While even our WOW room is 50sqm large, perhaps a one bedroom Cozy Suite with a large bathroom would have matched your expectations.

Thank you for your comment about my colleagues at the reception – I will investigate why they were not responsive.

I was very happy to read that you found Man to be fabulous – I agree with you he is a wonderful gentleman and I am very glad that he is part of the Mantra Family.

I am truly sorry that our resort location will prevent you from coming back.
Robert

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed in the Mantra after reading all the amazing reviews on Trip Advisor, and were looking forward to spending 2 nights there in what was supposed to be the luxury/relaxing part of our trip. We were unfortunately, thoroughly disappointed by our stay.

Our biggest problem with the Mantra was some members of the staff. On our 2nd day whilst we were out of the hotel in Bophut, trying to organise a ferry to our next destination, we called the Mantra to ask about late check out (because this would affect which ferry we decided to book). We were told by one of the staff members that a late checkout was possible if we moved from our two rooms in to another one room on that morning. We agreed, and booked our ferry. However, as soon as we got off the shuttle back at the Mantra, we were confronted by one of the reception staff who immediately questioned when we were checking out. We informed her that we had called only an hour before about this. However she kept denying that anyone had agreed to a late check out for us, and kept saying the Mantra was "100% booked." After arguing with her over this, she suddenly changed her mind and said we could have a late checkout if we paid for a room, but how could they possibly be 100% booked yet still be trying to sell us a room? Eventually she went back to the reception area and argued with someone there and finally she reluctantly agreed to give us the room with the late checkout. After this encounter, the next day at breakfast we noticed many of the staff (who had previously been lovely to us), suddenly start to blatantly ignore our table when we tried to order food. The shuttle bus drivers also seemed rude and wouldn't respond when we said hello or thank you (though this happened our entire stay). Another problem with staff included having to ask 3 times and wait 45 minutes for a pool towel because there were none left. I will admit however that the rest of the staff (including the maintenance staff - who had to visit our rooms a number of times as I'll get to below, and the remainder of the breakfast staff, were fine)

Next, the rooms. Our main problem here was the shower in one of our rooms. The only setting it seemed to have was either scalding hot or freezing cold, making it impossible to stand under the water. When we called to ask someone to fix it, all he seemed to do was move the handle around for a few minutes, then he showed us which side was hot and which was cold. Needless to say, we already knew this, and the problem was not fixed for the rest of our stay. In both of the rooms we had booked (the love jacuzzi and the cozy room), there were ants in the beds, on both nights, despite having housekeeping clean our room. After returning to our room one night the safe wouldn't open (and it wasn't because we had forgotten the code as we'd used the same code for our entire holiday), and we had to call and wait for someone to reset it. The 1000's of movies on the computer provided were all pirated copies, and in our room the sound would only work on the tv, but not for the movies and music etc on the computer; however after having to call maintenance for so many things we couldn't be bothered to get yet another thing "fixed". The tv was also positioned in a way that it could only be seen properly from the couch and not the bed, which was inconvenient. There were however some good points about the room, mostly the jacuzzi and the unlimited international calls.

Next, the location. After reading the reviews we were aware that the Mantra was inconveniently located so we weren't surprised by this.Just a warning though- as soon as you mention the Mantra, all taxi drivers will either refuse to take you because of the steep hill, or increase their price by a relatively large amount. This also applies if you are trying to book anything where you require a hotel pick up (in our case a ferry ticket which would have included a pick up from our hotel,however because it was the mantra, half the tour offices refused to pick us up, and the other half would only pick us up if we paid an extra 100 baht per person (for a ticket which was only 250 baht per person to start with)). Basically the only way off the mountain (apart from paying for an overpriced taxi) was waiting for complimentary shuttle to either Bophut or Chaweng, meaning your schedule had to be completely planned around this if you wanted to leave the resort. These shuttles had to be booked an hour in advance, and were at inconvenient times (e.g. the Chaweng bus did not run between 5 and 9 pm, so if you missed the 5 pm one you would be stuck at the Mantra for the rest of your day because the last bus back was at 10 pm).

Anyway,if you're anything like us you will see all the good reviews for the Mantra and ignore all the bad ones. And from what I've since read of the manager Roberts replies to any negative reviews, it seems that the only response I will get is that he is "sorry that the Mantra is not a good fit for you," though I'm struggling to see how confrontational staff, an impossible to use showers and ants in a bed among many other things could be a good fit for anybody. This is definitely not the standard I expect from any of the places I stay at (even the budget ones), let alone one claiming to be a 5 star resort.
I strongly encourage anyone who is on the fence about this place to give it a miss. For the price (or much cheaper), you can definitely find better.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank kirstin1993
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Kirstin

I am very sorry that the fact that we could not provide late check-out immediately– and the surrounding experience – have affected your perception on our hotel.

We are very proud to be a very transparent company – both with our Guests and our Colleagues – and this is why we communicate openly our hotel on our website on TripAdvisor and also on all other channels.

Perhaps the issue of check out has not yet been discussed in detail and therefore I hope this explanation will help future Guests.

In most five star hotels early check in and late check-out is available for a fee. It is not unusual for hotels to advise Guests that if they need a late check out they will need to pay for the whole night.
In mantra we provide these services free of charge based on availability. If we have plenty of empty rooms –our yearly occupancy is 94% so this rarely happens- we are very happy to provide these services free of charge.

We are frequent travelers and we understand how nice it is to check in as soon as one arrives or stay as late as required by the departing flight.

Because Guests can stay in the rooms until noon and the following Guests check in at 14.00 if occupancy is high we have very limited options to provide early check in and late check out.
Should someone leave very early - for example with the 6 am flight – our colleagues are doing everything they can to allocate the early arrival Guests in the free room – if it matches with the previous request of the guest and the room type.

Based on our occupancy we even allocate 2 rooms for Guests - on a first come first served basis – in case they need a room to stay until theirs becomes available or in case they need to take a shower and have a rest before they leave for their evening flight.

On our website we recommend if someone is in absolute need of a late check out the best way to guarantee that it will be possible is to book the room for the following night. This way the Guest can ensure that the room will be available for him.

During the reviewers stay – very high season -our hotel was fully booked and despite one of our colleagues’ best intention we could not provide this service immediatley. Should she have booked the room in advance we could have provided for him.

I am very happy that despite the aggressiveness from the Guest our colleagues continued to Show Love and have managed to find a solution.

While taxi drivers are out of the control of the hotels on the island the experience from our Guest has been overwhelmingly positive. Taxi drivers are humans as well and I am sure the way potential customers talk to them affect the service they provide.

Because showing Love is our key value we provide 22 (drop off and pick up together) complimentary shuttles every day. This level of service is unparalleled on this island even among hotels similarly located to Mantra.

Guest can also seamlessly rent motorbikes and cars from our reception without advance notice.
In addition our drivers can take the Guests for rates that are equivalent or cheaper than taxis to anywhere on the island.

We would love nothing more to be loved by everyone. We had to learn that in order to be passionately appreciated by many we have to actively define who we are to make sure that people who stay with us choose us exactly for who we are.

For us Mantra is not just a business but the extension of our personalities. It is our desire to continuously improve Mantra and this is why we actively seek comments. Of course as Mantra is everything to us we are vulnerable. But this vulnerability helps us to remain open to new ideas and we believe that is the only way to evolve for the better.

Dear TripAdvisor Members – if anyone has a question I am always happy to answer.
Robert: r.mayer@mantrasamui.com

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed 5 nights at Mantra with my parents (58 and 61 y.o.) and we choose the Mantra because of the pricing and the reviews here.

First of all the arrival hall was a bit crowded and the direct parking in front of the reception and all the cars and much to many people are really not a nice atmosphere to start the holiday. After a while we where told to wait one hour more at the bar, because the rooms was finish yet (12h45). So we waited and the rooms we got where with no view at all behind the wall of the 307/308 Gym. So all in all the room is in a very - like unclean and refurbishment needed condition. Even the bathroom was really not nicely done and in a aged condition.

What is ridiculous is the extremely packed pool area - there is no privacy at all possible and the pool itself has just a view into the bay but nicely done is something else then. There are at least 50% too many sun beds around and the pool area is much to small for the size of the hotel. This only works for people with really no pretensions. Further, the breakfast is really the worst I ever saw in Thailand in a so-called 5 Star hotel.

Finally only the staff was friendly and helpful l like usually in Thailand and a nice to mention point. But even here - after requesting a bottle of wine at 00h45 in the lobby - we were told that they only provide food and no drinks by night. IMPOSSIBLE for a so-called 5 Star Hotel. I would rate the Hotel as a very AVERAGE 4 Star Hotel, with a 3 or 4 Star clientele.

We were here for sure the first and last time and the fact, they check in stuff did realize that I live in BKK I would expect a better room than the worst one - this is no advertisement in BKK for Mantra at all. A very disappointing place!

Room Tip: So please do NOT accept 307 and 308 -- NO VIEW AT ALL.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear DR_M_ASIA,

Thank you for leaving a review about your stay.

I am truly sorry that you did not like the room you have booked. What I am even more sorry for is that you did not let my colleagues know about it (they have made a courtesy call to check if everything is ok on the first day of your stay).

As you can see from previous reviews we always do everything we can to accommodation Guest to rooms they would fully enjoy and if Guests let us know that they would like to change we try to make that happen - and usually succeed.

The rooms that you mentioned are located on the building that is on the top of our property (on the ground floor) and in the past two years we did not have any complaint about the view. While one fo the room has partial view the other has a full view over the sea.

Your room was not available at 12.45 because our official check in time is 14.00. and the Guest who previously stayed in the room only left at 12.00. According to our records the room was available for you before our official and published check in time.

Thank you for your comment regarding the wine. While our kitchen is open 24 hrs a day - our bar closes at 12.00 - or as long as Guests stay in the restaurant. While until now no one has requested a wine from our restaurant menu after that time - we provide an extensive mini-bar. I will talk to my colleagues about having a selection of wines at the reception in case someone would like to order from our restaurant menu.

Thank you for this suggestion!

Robert: r.mayer@mantrasamui.com

Reviewed 13 January 2014

This place is the perfect location for a quiet getaway. The staff couldn't do enough to help out and were so friendly. The resort has a well equipped gym/ sauna. The pool has amazing views, and the food from the restaurant was incredible.
The only thing to be wary of when booking is its location- it is deceptively far away from the beach and if you struggle when walking up hill you're going to have a hard time at this hotel even with their courtesy shuttles.
Again- we loved our time here and will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: Best rooms for views are 111 and 112 for the 'Love' rooms and any of the poolside 'cozy...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2014

This property took my breath away the moment I saw it. The staff is extremely helpful and courteous. They gave us a room and asked if we were ok with it. We asked politely to have our room changed and BOOM within ten minutes our room was changed with a spectacular view of the ocean! The rooms come with free internet, kitchen and an amazingly comfortable bed! The view from the pool alone could be your reason to book this hotel. Also an amazing library of movies to choose form on their TV. All in all the best resort/ hotel i've ever stayed in! Definitely coming back here!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cabeca79
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We had an amazing time at the Mantra. The staff were so friendly and went out of their way to make our stay wonderful. Every meal was a delight - especially breakfast. The setting of the hotel, high on a hill, added to an overall excellent experience. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Darryl K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Amari Koh Samui
Sea Dance Resort
#3 of 185 in Bophut
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort
Pavilion Samui Villas & Resort

Been to Mantra Samui Resort? Share your experiences!