“Blown away with the view and the service :-)”

Mantra Samui Resort
Ranked #17 of 186 Hotels in Bophut
“Blown away with the view and the service :-)”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

What can I say...my husband and I have visited Thailand 3 times and this is truly one of the best places we have stayed so far.

The views are breath taking and we tried all the rooms at the resort and the Love room was our favourite (large balcony terrace and jacuzzi bath for 2)

The staff are so friendly and kind. We want to say our thanks to 'A' who was always so friendly and kind to us. He is an asset to the team!

The gym was fantastic (my husband loves to work out in a morning and he was well impressed with the facilities) there is also a dedicated yoga studio with free classes (we used it in the morning to do Insanity)

Breakfast was the highlight! So much choice and the best eggs in Thailand :-)

Thank you for an unforgettable stay. We will return!!!

Mr & Mrs Robinson

• Stayed January 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Mantra Samui for the first week of our honeymoon. We were welcomed with a cold drink and a cold flannel which was much appreciated after a long flight. A small golf cart showed us around the hotel property and to our room. Our LOVE room was wonderfully decorated and the jacuzzi was pre-filled before our arrival complete with rose petals.

The hotel is located up a hill and is quite secluded. The location is ideal for relaxation and for those seeking a retreat. Some of the hills were very steep which may be challenging if you are physically impaired. The views are however fantastic and there is no noise from traffic or beach parties. There is also a calm breeze which helps against the heat. Although there were lots of trees in the area, we did not see any mosquitoes which is a big plus.

We felt that we were dependant on taxis and the shuttle bus if we wanted to go anywhere besides the hotel. There are complimentary buses to Chaweng and Bophut; and most activity providers will pick you up from your hotel. However I did not feel that we could walk out of the hotel and explore the local streets.

The staff were extremely friendly with genuine smiles. We felt welcomed at all times. We also visited the hotels' spa which was a wonderful experience with friendly staff.

The hotel had a nice restaurant with a nice selection of Thai food and some western dishes, the prices weren't too bad either. There was a large variety at breakfast, and anyone staying here should definitely try the mango pancakes, they were amazing!!

A couple of areas for improvement:
- Upgrade the wifi. We found it quite unstable.
- Provide some extra hooks to hang up towels.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Thank you Mantra for an awesome stay, we were are party of 2 couples and a 4 year old child. and we all had a fabulous 6 night stay in your hotel. The staff were friendly and very helpful and the food was very tasty. We made use of all your facilities we found the gym good for morning workouts and the 'FREE' movies useful if you just wanted to chill in the room.
We managed to stay in 3 x 5 star hotels while in Thailand, so we did a lot of comparing of the hotels and we all agreed that the value for money Mantra come out on top.
After reading a couple of reviews I do agree with a couple small cons, swimming pool does need to be warmer however every hotel we went to in thailand the temperature was freezing and the kids room was a little run down and it would have been nice to have some organised activities for the kids room ( i.e. staff member on duty).
Overall I still think it was nice hotel and I will definitely recommend it to the friends.

Taylor and Tamarua Family!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Thank you Mantra for 18 days of bliss. The rooms are beautiful and the bathroom perfect. We spent 18 days at the Mantra and enjoyed it very much. The staff are very helpful and the steep hill definitely improved my fitness levels. I think the hotel is definitely a four star but it delivered a truly enjoyable and relaxing holiday. We rented a car for the period we stayed there and that really helped as the hotel is a bit secluded. Overall the holiday was relaxing, the breakfast good. In all rooms there are a few books which reignited our love of reading. The balconies were also spacious and comfortable. Well done Mantra!

Stayed December 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed in a love room with jacuzzi on the balcony. I was also 4 and a half months pregnant at the time and had emailed the hotel prior so we could be allocated the closest love room to the pool and restaurant area. The email replies were prompt but I dont think they fully understood my request or answered the qs I had properly. We arrived at the airport and our pick up suv was waiting for us (it wasnt the disco one a prior reviewer had mentioned although we did ride in that one on a return day trip from fishermans village). The love room itself was good, the bedding was good quality but ask for a blanket as the aircon gets cold! I think ill do a pro and con list as that will be easier. Lets start with the good stuff!
PROS
-awesome pool one of the most relaxing experiences ever and the view is so worth it!
-Marco was the only wait staff whom we believe provided 5 star service in the restaurant, he was friendly, funny and Excellent at his job (he deserves a promotion)
-front desk organising tours was quick n easy
-scooter hire was convenient and cheap with good quality scooters ($9 au for 24 hours)
- the male bar staff were cheeky with love and made me the best pineapple smoothies on earth
- the manager was very professional and passionate about making everyone happy and should be commended on his hard work.
- the products in bathroom smelt awesome
- free bottled water everyday kept me hydrated
- lots of free movies to
choose
-free international calls were superb we called home everyday (make sure u have proper international and area codes) and there were only two incidences that we couldn't get through so keep trying.
- food was good except fruit and yoghurts on buffet got warm quickly despite efforts to keep everything chilled.
- location suited us as we are a young couple who hired scooters I dont know how convenient it would be for elderly ppl to commute from the hotel as shuttle times are limited.
-water in shower was a consistent temperature.
-the gardens and gardeners do an amazing job very lush.

CONS
-shuttle times are ok for the daytime but at night if u wanted to go into chaweng to eat or watch some muay thai fighting the times are ridiculous and a taxi would cost a lot so we just scootered.
- the stupid little 150ml glasses for fruit juice or water self service are a joke. I had to refill my glass on average 5-10 times just to quench my thirst- get bigger glasses guys seriously.
- one female bar tender refused me a glass of water at the swim up bar (because it was complimentary and I wasnt paying for it) and made me get out of the pool walk down the stairs to get it myself even though the bar was empty, she was 2m away from it and I WAS PREGNANT which I clearly explained to her she barely batted an eyelid and just pointed in the direction of the water! I dont call that service I call that plain
rude and lazy.
- other ppls kids misplaced our keys twice at reception and on the second occasion they were lost and my husband and I had to keep looking for them as reception informed us they were probably in the bushes as the kids "play with the birds on them" well thats not my problem is it? Have a better system for the keys in that case and at any other 5 star resort my husband and I wouldnt spend half an hour looking for our own keys that we safely placed in the correct keyholder with limited help from staff until I got so flustered from the heat and looking like an idiot in the gardens I demanded something be done and fortunately the locks were changed within ten minutes.
-if u want to watch tv comfortably sit on the couch, we watched it from our bed and it was annoying not relaxing.
- the cleaning was either very good or barely done. Very hit and miss depending on who cleaned your room.
-the steepness of the slope was clear from the beginning but my husband had to walk behind me and push me up the hill to the pool and restaurant area every morning which we didnt mind but the buggies that drove past us up the hill could have offered us a lift or at least the pregnant lady a lift but no they barely spoke to anyone but themselves in their cool shades which made us sad as we frequently said good morning to most staff that we passed.

This is more of a four star hotel with cool extras like wifi and calls. You are encouraged to sort out complaints at the hotel with the manager but id rather enjoy my holiday and thats what we did. Its a really nice resort with a great manager trying to do it all on his own which isnt fair but dont expect 5 star if u have traveled to other 5 star resorts
internationally. A solid four star resort with 5 star potential.

• Stayed June 2013
anchorage alaska
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Overall we had a nice experience at Mantra. The rooms were large (we had LOVE rooms), the breakfast ample and delicious, and the shuttle on time. Given the discounted rate of $80/night that we got by booking almost 6 months in advance, I was happy. Also being able to rent a scooter without giving up my passport was a great option to have.

However, I do have a few observations, take how you will since everyone likes different things:

1. the pool is FREEZING! It was like plunging into an ice bucket. The view is gorgeous but even my husband who goes wake-boarding with ice still on the lake in Alaska, thought the pool was too cold.

2. Jacuzzi on the balcony and the shower had lukewarm water. This was disappointing since a hot jacuzzi sounded amazing upon arrival but was a huge fail. The lukewarm shower I kind of understand because it is Thailand and we pretty much had lukewarm water everywhere but those were also little bungalows without tvs and wifi and hard as rock beds. For a hotel with so many modern amenities, I had looked forward to a solid hot shower my last few nights in Thailand. On the other hand, my husband was perfectly happy with lukewarm. Go figure.

3. Location was something I originally wasn't concerned about when met with an $80/night 5-star hotel. Having been to Samui before and stayed in Chaweng, we were looking for some peace this second time around, but when you take into account the location being away from everything, and I mean everything.... not even a 7-eleven on the road up, then the tucked away location became an issue for us. Hanging out in the room watching movies was great for 1 night. And with the pool freezing, hanging out there wasn't great either. Add that the food is expensive and not as good was kind of a buzz kill.

Overall it's a nice hotel. Personally I wouldn't stay there again.

Just a couple money saving tips... If you book directly with Mantra, you get free airport transport BOTH ways. If you come by lomprayah ferry, online you can tell them what hotel you're staying at in Samui and the ferry will actually provide FREE transport to/from your hotel on Samui. You can also tell them at the ferry office what hotel and they'll notify their transport staff. Mantra was going to charge 200 baht/person with 400 baht minimum to pick us up. The lomprayah ferry put us in a minivan and we were at the hotel maybe 15 mins later for free.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Tahiti_ldy

Thank you for writing a review and contributing to the TripAdvisor community.

I am sorry that the water was cold during your stay.
Koh Samui is a tropical island where the daily temperature rarely gets below 32 degrees Celsius. During your stay the coldest temperature was almost an all-time record low 17 degrees - that has not happened in the past 5 years. Because of the tropical location pools on Samui (including all 5 star hotels) are not heated, simply there is no need for it. Actually the usual issue is finding ways to keep the pool from becoming too hot.

I am sorry that the weather during your stay has affected the pool temperature – sadly it was out of our control.
Thank you again for your review!
Robert
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This is the second time that I've been to this resort and what can I say, yet again they have blown me away. This time mantra accommodated for 5 people and as it was my mother in laws birthday, they made her feel so special, we couldn't have asked for a better experience. The Grand family suite is amazing, the staff are amazing, the food is amazing, everything about this place is amazing. A special thanks to A (bar/restaurant manager) for making us feel special. Robert thankyou for everything and looking forward to seeing everyone again, hopefully in 6-7 months, hehe

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Shothe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
#2 of 186 in Bophut
Code
Code
#1 of 30 in Mae Nam

Been to Mantra Samui Resort? Share your experiences!