“perfect base for 2 nights”

Mantra Samui Resort
Ranked #16 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We arrived after 22 hours travelling and 3 flights from the UK to a complimentary transfer to the Hotel. The reception area is quirky and feels open and non formal, we were offered a refreshing drink and fast check in. Our room was situated directly behind the pool and restaurant which wasn't far from reception but due to the steepness of the resort the golf buggies were a bonus! Breakfast is served until 10.30am so a great chance for a lie in. Breakfast was plentiful with al a carte menu to order eggs and pancakes, the coffee menu and array of herbal teas was a very nice touch. We found there to be a enough sun loungers as people left the pool regularly and the complimentary cold filtered water to help yourself was much appreciated as was the fruit non alcoholic punch given to all guests in the pool mid afternoon. We stayed 2 nights in a WOW room which was clean and extremely spacious. We booked the room on a 75% early bird booking making it good value. I would say that taxi's are not cheap (300 baht to fisherman's village) which wasn't a problem for us however would run up a bill if staying longer (the shuttle service times didn't work for us). The free international calls, lollipops, complimentary daily activities and leaving gift really makes this hotel boutique and personal.

1  Thank LAKECOMO09

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We've always been the kind of people to choose our place of stay in calmer and quieter parts of towns. Planning for Thailand held no such exception to this rule of thumb of ours. Not only were we keen on choosing an island located 800 kms. away from Bangkok and other commercial cities, but were also careful enough to choose a hotel located away from the crowded areas. Chaweng and Lamai - the most famous areas for shopping and markets in Koh Samui - were not on our list. We naturally waded away to the lesser populous and yet again, TripAdvisor came to our rescue.

Mantra Samui, a hotel that not only displays ethereal beauty in pictures, is even more beautiful at sight. It is through the island's main roads that one gets here; however, the ascend where the road disconnects from the rest of the town and exclusively leads to this resort is worth looking about. Every corner and pin-bend is a treat to the eyes with soothing and welcoming messages [the footer of the messages shows the distance we need to yet cover to reach the hotel]. Halfway up, and you can see the property [which you don't realise back then] atop. It's only when you reach there you realise it is actually Reception area that you could see from down below. Every room has a balcony - the hotel is nestled between a view of the mountains to the left and a sea-view to the right.

The staff are very courteous, yet professional. Many of them come with manageable English skills, yet that doesn't seem to be a hindrance.

We were put up in the Love suite. The room is very spacious with one-of-its-kind views. There is a Jacuzzi at the entrance of every Love suite; however, privacy is limited seeing as there is only a curtain covering it around. The Love suites are located half-way up the Reception and half-way below the restaurant. One could call for a golf cart for pick-n-drop. The rooms also have a PC with an internet connection and movie collection. The collection is quite decent, seeing as most of the channels are in the local language.

The restaurant is located at one of the topmost peaks of the property, next to the swimming pool. The views from both is breathtaking, opening out to the endless view of the sea. The breakfast spread is great and worth not missing for. Though limited options in Vegetarian, there is still a variety wide enough for one to try out new stuff on a day-to-day basis. Beverages are slightly overpriced - both cocktails and liquor.

If you're on a lookout for a beachside resort, this may not be the best pick considering it offers a cliff view of the sea without any direct pathway leading to the beach. Overall, a great value for money - especially at off-peak seasons. Under-charged stay, with a service and experience of nothing less than a 5-star.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a higher altitude for a better view and privacy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We went to this resort in April 2014 with two kids. Booked via deals.com. I would recommend this hotel, Yes it is on very steep hill so depending on your fitness can be walked or you can take a golf cart. Our room was a cosy room, double bed for kids and king for us. Great views, wonderfull breakfast, dinner and lunch costs ok. It is a bit of distance from shops etc but there is a free shuttle that goes back and forth. Taxi can be taken as well (watch prices), Found staff very helpfull and even helped with issue we had with outside tailor, spa on site is great

Room Tip: Book cosy, try and get close to resterant
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Great Room, Great Staff, Great Food with Free Shuttle to Chewang Beach or Fisherman's Village Daily. Nice Pool Also. Good Value for Money. Not far from Beach with nice Views. Owner and CEO very approachable and friendly.

Room Tip: See Above.
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We were in Samui for 4 nights and the guesthouse we had just spent 3 nights in Lamai was booked for the final night. I decided to splurge on an okay priced 5-star option that had good TripAdvisor reviews. I however started to question that decision when our GPS was leading us through side roads. I continued to question it as we were driving up narrow roads to the top of a mountain. I was then feeling disappointed when the check in took an excessively long time as we waited a good 20 minutes between the check in and wait time for a golf cart to take us to our room. All negatives ended there. This place is awesome! Perhaps we just hit them at a check in time where they were very busy because all future interactions with staff were 5 star.

We booked a room online that was listed as a family 2-bedroom suite. It was a bonus that these were connecting standard rooms so we had double of everything including 2 bathrooms and showers. The rooms are equipped with Smart-TVs that are loaded with hundreds of movies, have internet browsing and all that. The bed was amazing, the sofas in room were very comfortable. The room service was also great. I’m vegetarian and the menu options I could eat were far betting than the usual stuff. A couple gourmet vegetable dishes. All of the staff was super friendly.

The views from everywhere in the hotel are amazing especially the swimming pool which from way up on the hill has great views of the beach. Having our own car we did venture into town at night as we have family living in the area. But, ideally this hotel is best for somewhat just totally wants to relax and have the hotel take care of everything. They did provide us with a shuttle schedule but having a car we didn’t use this service.

The included breakfast had many non-breakfast items including a gourmet vegetarian dish that when ordering via non-breakfast hours was quite expensive.

We had somewhere to be but had I had more time I would have inquired about purchasing from them (not sure if they sell this) whatever soap it was they had provided in the room. It was fluorescent-like green in color and I didn’t notice it was a special soap until showering. Once finished all my pours had this cooling sensation and realized I had just showered with some sort of spa soap. This was so neat that I was looking forward to showering in the morning as the soap was awesome and that’s not normally something I care or know about.

I really enjoyed my stay here. I will however say that if I was just in Samui to visit the sights or be out shopping or at bars or any of this, for that I’d stay somewhere else. In the future when visiting Samui I will certainly return but split it up. Early part of stay in a hotel more convenient for coming in and out of then the final 2 nights I will relax, swim and eat here. I do love this place for that.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I went to the Mantra Samui in September 2013 for my honeymoon. This was my first time visiting Koh Samui and it was the best experience I have ever had on a holiday. We were greeted by a man from the hotel at the airport, he opened doors, transported our baggage, drove carefully and was very friendly. We were greeted by amazingly friendly and helpful staff and a refreshing beverage. We were escorted to our room (Wow Room) via golf buggy and our luggage quickly followed. The room was clean, spacious and had some really quirky decor. The aircon was good, the shower was amazing and the view when we woke up was breath-taking. The bed was huge and soooooo comfortable, they even had a menu for pillows. You could get whatever movies you wanted and internet was free. If you wanted to make a phone call though it never went through for us.

Any time we needed anything, we just called the staff and they made it happen and fast. They called cabs, booked our tours, took us on the free shuttles daily and we ordered our room service and spa services too. The buffet breakfast was so diverse, they had fruits, cereals, yogurts, hot food, breads, pastries, spreads (all homemade) as well as a menu to choose a hot breakfast inc pancakes and teas and coffees etc. The staff were always greeting us with a smile and being super polite. The pool was clean and the view was amazing and it's open 24/7 so we had a midnight swim. The spa was so great too. I felt like a princess and the service was outstanding. They pamper you and give you sweet tea and hot tea, there's baths with rose petals, relaxing music and the products make you feel so great.

I got food poisoning one night (not from their restaurant) and I made a mess of the bathroom and they sent a staff member up at 5am to clean it all up...with a smile. In the morning I was still so sick and they took my husband to the chemist for free, helped him get medication and they sent up some dry toast from room service too and for free. This made me feel like I was being taken care of and that I could trust them to take care of me if things got worse.

They have events on most nights too and they are great, we went to the Thai night with traditional dancing and a buffet. They also have a cooking class with Chef Jump and he's a character. We learned how to make authentic curries and got to taste test and ask questions. It was a free feature of the Mantra too. There were many more features that we didn't use as we were too busy going out shopping and to restaurants almost everyday.

By the time we left we definitely felt like family. We cannot wait to return for our 1 year wedding anniversary. It was a great couples experience but there were many families there too. Because we were up the top of the resort we didn't get bothered by any children and there were so many different cultures visiting that we got to chat to a few different people from different countries.

I couldn't find fault with this gorgeous, quirky, fun, caring 5-star resort!!! Highly recommend!!!

Room Tip: The wow room had an amazing view, was away from all the main parts of the resort and it was very spa...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bianca L
Reviewed 8 May 2014

First of all, as I said for another Samui hotel, while they may claim to be 5 star, it's not quite the level of sophistication you would expect from a 5 star. Having said that, while official prices seem quite high, we got a pretty decent sub $100 deal on a popular website, and at that price it's definitely great. It's great for couples who don't wanna do much except relax by the pool/beach, and head down to Bophut occasionally for a good (seafood meal). Pros: Views are great, better than the Chaweng side I feel. Yet interestingly Chaweng is not THAT far from here. These guys have a great shuttle schedule. Bophut beach is nice and cozy, though small. The hotel has a lot of nice touches like they put a few paperbacks in your room to read, lots of inspiring messages/signs around the property, etc. The jacuzzi outdoors was good, though lacks a bit of privacy. Rooms are large. The restaurant was quite good for breakfast as well as other meals, with a great wine selection. The gym is fantastic! They provide a TV and PC in the room which is quite nice. Cons: The internet was quite spotty. They keep saying free internet everywhere but stupidly there are different network names, and devices dont auto login as you have to click a silly login button. The walk to the pool/breakfast can be quite torturous, and what's more their rooms also don't have lifts. We got a room requiring us to walk 3 floors everytime (not the end of the world, but good to know in advance). The prices are a bit expensive for all the food items. The rooms are large but feel like a lot of wasted space. The curtains don't quite cover all the outside light, and the bathrooms don't have blinds/curtains so our room had sunlight coming in despite our best attempts, which could be problematic for some people.
Overall, a very good hotel if you want to chill out away from the world, but if you want to visit the beach and the hustle and bustle couple of times of day, this place may be a bit out of way.

2  Thank Mei A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Amari Koh Samui
Sea Dance Resort
#3 of 185 in Bophut
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort
Pavilion Samui Villas & Resort

Been to Mantra Samui Resort? Share your experiences!