“Mixed Feelings” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mantra Samui Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Mantra Samui Resort
Ranked #24 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
London, United Kingdom
“Mixed Feelings”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I have given this hotel a 2 star rating based on it being a 5 star resort. However please note that this hotel has the potential to be amazing, but it's definitely not a 5 star resort at the moment, more along 3/4 stars.

I stayed at the hotel over New Years, it cost me c. £700 for 6 nights, which was advertised as being with a 70% off deal. I would have cried if I had paid the full amount. I stayed in the Cozy room as there were 2 of us, and no other rooms cater to having an extra bed option. You can request one, but it's not guaranteed. I was very happy with the size of the suite, it was very spacious and the Cozy rooms are located right next to the pool and restaurant which was great.

As I have mixed reviews about this resort I think it will be easier to put my thoughts down in a list of positives and negatives.

Positives:
- beautiful views from all over the resort looking over Bophut beach. Yes, it's up a steep hill but we knew this as it's mentioned all over the website. I'm not exactly fit and have bad knee's but you can walk around the resort or have the option for the hotel buggies to take you about.
- Breakfast was amazing. Lot's of options from the buffet, and the choice of having any freshly eggs cooked for you, along with bacon etc.
- Cozy room was really spacious. The bathroom was amazingly big. I could easily move in to this room. Great added extra of having free international calls available and a massive selection of films etc to watch.
- Some staff were amazingly friendly and helpful.
- Room service available 24 hours - menu had a varied selection of both Western and Thai dishes to choose from. Reasonable prices for a resort.
- NYE dinner gala event. Staff participated in performances and the food was great. There were also raffles (we won a free meal), and also the option to light lanterns. It was really nice to see staff enjoy themselves on NYE instead of working hard with no play.
- Shuttle bus to Bophut and Chaweng.
- Spa at the hotel. Although a bit pricey for Thailand I had the most amazing massage (signature massage)
- Cute little messages left around room with lollipops and chocs etc was a nice touch. Love all the mantra messages in the room and around the hotel.
- Gym was great (although I only had a quick glance). There's also a squash court somewhere and a child area.
- Free cookery class was great with Oh.
- Loved the swim up bar in the infinity pool - beautiful. Great that they also had happy hour on a daily basis.

Negatives:
- On arrival of our room I noticed that our balcony was broken and falling apart. I pointed this out straight away, and was told that this would be fixed when we went out for dinner that evening, but this never happened. Even after several complaints. Health and safety is clearly not important at this hotel.
- The cozy room day bed was like a piece of stone slab. I have never in my life come across something so uncomfortable and had hardly any sleep for the 6 days I was there for. It took them 4 days to bring me blankets and pillows for the bed!!
- When we tallied up the room service bill when checking out we noticed that they had added on a few surprise items eg a bottle of vodka. They tried to not let me view the bill in the first place so this obviously explained why!! When I confronted them they asked no questions and took the items off.
- Although the room was impressive the furniture was very used and scruffy, with missing drawer handles etc.
- For a 5 star hotel you have to pay for the coffee in your room. Also, if you run out of water provided room service will not bring you any more, after quite a few requests.
- No reception. If you want anything you can only contact reception by phone. I wanted to complain about not having any blankets after several requests but there's no one you can physically talk to about the request.
- TV in bedroom did not work.
- Shuttle bus timings to Bophut were inconvenient. Chaweng timings looked ok.
- They say that wifi is essential (this did not work in our room, I only got connection by the pool). I believe that toilet paper is more of an essential requirement but
once again this is something we only had after calling at least 10 times
- Room service will not collect use plates and cutlery from room at request. I had to sleep in a room smelling of food as we didn't want to leave plates outside because of the wildlife.
- Still waiting for a bath to be run as promised... They say they can change the soaps on a daily basis if requested but this isn't true.
- Daily clean towels were not provided.
- The infinity pool was amazing, but not enough loungers for guests. We only got to use it once it was getting cooler in the day, after 18:00.
- Coffee at breakfast was great, but it took them at least 30-50 to actually make the coffee each morning. No breakfast tea to have instead.
- Food was ok. Do not go for any pasta dishes, it tastes like rubber. The thai food and pizza were amazing. Had to send back 2 steaks at dinner as they were hard as a rock.
- Hard to get some staff's attention - they would just stand around chatting in the restaurant.
- Hot water in room was a bit temparmental. Didn't bother us too much but mean't I couldn't use the bath.

To sum up the negatives out weigh the positives, but I really do feel that this resort has the potential to be amazing, it just needs a few tweaks. I had a fun holiday, albeit tired from no sleep on the rock of a bed. It was stressful that reception and room service had to be called at least 10 times over 3 days to provide basics like toilet paper, towels, water, blankets etc, and I wouldn't even expect a 2 star hotel to be as incompetent as this.

I really do hope that they improve as it could be a great success.

Room Tip: Cozy for anyone wishing to be close to restaurant and pool. Love rooms looked amazing but they only...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Natalie L
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Natalie,

Thank you for leaving a review and sharing your experience!

I was glad to read that you highlighted many positive aspects of your stay. My colleagues will be super happy to read that you appreciated their performance on NYE.

At the same time I am terribly sorry to read about the “cons list”. I am especially saddened since the majority of the issues could have been solved easily by talking to one of our colleagues.

For us the most important is to make sure that our Guests have a fun and relaxing stay.

Leaving a tripadvisor review is a good way to reflect on a stay. At the same time I think that it is important and perhaps more productive to fix issues - whether they are from misunderstanding or mistakes on our part - during the stay.
After all, the most important is to make the stay special.

This is why we proactively seek feedback during the stay. Every room has a letter from our Manager informing Guests that whom they can turn to if they have any questions they can turn to her. The contact details are displayed and so is my direct email address. In addition all Guests receive a phone call on the day after their arrival to check if everything is according to their expectations.

Our colleagues at the reception are also empowered to make any decisions that solve an issue for our Guests. We believe that instead of having policies, hiring genuinely caring colleagues will result in outcomes that are the best for our Guests – even if the issues are unexpected and are outside of the scope of normal policies.

Whether staying in Mantra - or at another hotel - I really suggest Guests should contact front office with their issues. At Mantra, Customers are the center of our universe and we will make sure to find solutions for the Guest - which is exactly what the Guest who wrote the review was looking for.

I would like to highlight a couple of items mentioned by the Guest:

At Mantra our goal is to provide affordable luxury for our Gets and we would like to be the best value luxury boutique resort on the island. We certainly value the finer things in life and delicious coffee is one of them. We want to provide amazing facilities and a very wide range of complimentary services that matter to the majority of our Guests. We are the only hotel on the island that provides unlimited international phone calls free of charge for example, but the complimentary services list includes, 22 beach shuttles, movie library, PC in every room, wifi, Ipod docking stations, a movie theatre, and a state of the art fitness center complete with squash courts.

At breakfast we serve unlimited fresh illy coffee prepared by baristas. In the room we provide illy espresso capsules. To keep our room rates very competitive we offer the coffee capsules as extra. At the same time Guests can always requests complimentary instant coffee powder.

I am quite surprised to read that we do not have a reception as literally the first thing you find upon entering Mantra is the reception. Between the hours of 7am 11pm we always have 4 colleagues at the reception (and a manager or assistant manager) and during the night we always have a duty manager and a reception supervisor.

I would like to thank you for your foresight at not putting plates with food outside the room as indeed this would attract bugs on an island. As our property is quite spread out and we would like to protect the privacy of our Guests we always ask our Guests to call the restaurant once they finished with their meals so our colleagues can collect the plates. We also give a card informing our Guests about this when we deliver the room-service. Although this event happened over five months ago I will make sure that our colleagues are always mindful of providing this card.

Safety is certainly important for us. The wood on your balcony was damaged by the weather. Our Chief Engineer examined the terrace and while it was aesthetically not perfect it was safe. Changing would have meant disturbing your stay and as we were fully booked he decided to fix it after your departure. I understand that we could have done a better job of communicating this to you and I am terribly sorry for this. We will certainly use this event as a learning experience.

Protecting the environment of Samui is one of our most crucial responsibility. Eliminating unnecessary water usage is one of the most important way a hotel can contribute to the preservation of the ecosystem. In every room we inform our Guests that we change towels and sheets every three days unless they indicate that they would like it to be changed by throwing the towels on the floor – or by the placement of our funky dog. Many people agree with us that luxury does not necessitate waste and changing the towels daily is not important as the cleaning of a set of towel uses approximately 300 liters of water. Of course if Guests request we change them daily or even multiple times a day.

In our COZY suite we have a second bed that – as the reviewer correctly mentioned – is a daybed. If Guest would like to use it as a sleeping bed we are happy to set it up as such and on request can provide duck feather toppers to make it just as soft and luxurious as the bed in the Master Bedroom. I understand how important a good night sleep is and I really wish we knew about this issue during your stay because this would have been easy to solve within 15 minutes. Based on our logs the extra blankets were provided on the day they were requested however I will look into this to make sure that all requests are followed up and we avoid any miscommunication.

Since day one of our operation we have been serving 9 types of luxurious loose leaf tea for breakfast free of charge in unlimited quantities: The flavors are: English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Sencha Green Tea, Jasmin Green Tea, Chamomile, Fresh Peppermint, Herb and Ginger, Lapsang Souchong and Roiboos. These teas are always available and the menu is displayed on every table.
I am sorry you had trouble using the TV.

We have engineers on call 24 hrs a day and if you would have called they would have gladly fixed the TV or would have illustrated how the TVs can be operated. It is indeed a pity you did not let us know as through the TV you could have accessed a huge variety of movies as well as the internet.

Once again I would like to thank you for taking the time and writing a review - your insights will helps us to communicate better in turn enhancing the Mantra experience further.
I would like to urge all future Guests that if they have any issue they should feel free to communicate to us. If we know about an issue we will do everything in our power to fix it or remedy the situation.
Robert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

After 2 days staying in the chaotic Chaweng, i moved to this place to seek for peacefulness and bingo! This place is exactly what i was looking for.
I was assign to WOW room, the bed and balcony directly facing the sea and the view is simply breathtaking. The room was clean and very spacious, free international call, Wifi and internet stay you connected to the outside world.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Amazing view, nice rooms, very good service! Not close to the beach and that for someone can be a disadvantage. I rented a car and everything was much easier, especially if you don't stay in Chaweng and you want a night out. The staff was excellent, very helpful and the communication in english was fine. The view from the pool is the best feature of the hotel.
You can find some good offers for this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank TasosDoc
bolton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We arrived after 22 hours travelling and 3 flights from the UK to a complimentary transfer to the Hotel. The reception area is quirky and feels open and non formal, we were offered a refreshing drink and fast check in. Our room was situated directly behind the pool and restaurant which wasn't far from reception but due to the steepness of the resort the golf buggies were a bonus! Breakfast is served until 10.30am so a great chance for a lie in. Breakfast was plentiful with al a carte menu to order eggs and pancakes, the coffee menu and array of herbal teas was a very nice touch. We found there to be a enough sun loungers as people left the pool regularly and the complimentary cold filtered water to help yourself was much appreciated as was the fruit non alcoholic punch given to all guests in the pool mid afternoon. We stayed 2 nights in a WOW room which was clean and extremely spacious. We booked the room on a 75% early bird booking making it good value. I would say that taxi's are not cheap (300 baht to fisherman's village) which wasn't a problem for us however would run up a bill if staying longer (the shuttle service times didn't work for us). The free international calls, lollipops, complimentary daily activities and leaving gift really makes this hotel boutique and personal.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LAKECOMO09
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We've always been the kind of people to choose our place of stay in calmer and quieter parts of towns. Planning for Thailand held no such exception to this rule of thumb of ours. Not only were we keen on choosing an island located 800 kms. away from Bangkok and other commercial cities, but were also careful enough to choose a hotel located away from the crowded areas. Chaweng and Lamai - the most famous areas for shopping and markets in Koh Samui - were not on our list. We naturally waded away to the lesser populous and yet again, TripAdvisor came to our rescue.

Mantra Samui, a hotel that not only displays ethereal beauty in pictures, is even more beautiful at sight. It is through the island's main roads that one gets here; however, the ascend where the road disconnects from the rest of the town and exclusively leads to this resort is worth looking about. Every corner and pin-bend is a treat to the eyes with soothing and welcoming messages [the footer of the messages shows the distance we need to yet cover to reach the hotel]. Halfway up, and you can see the property [which you don't realise back then] atop. It's only when you reach there you realise it is actually Reception area that you could see from down below. Every room has a balcony - the hotel is nestled between a view of the mountains to the left and a sea-view to the right.

The staff are very courteous, yet professional. Many of them come with manageable English skills, yet that doesn't seem to be a hindrance.

We were put up in the Love suite. The room is very spacious with one-of-its-kind views. There is a Jacuzzi at the entrance of every Love suite; however, privacy is limited seeing as there is only a curtain covering it around. The Love suites are located half-way up the Reception and half-way below the restaurant. One could call for a golf cart for pick-n-drop. The rooms also have a PC with an internet connection and movie collection. The collection is quite decent, seeing as most of the channels are in the local language.

The restaurant is located at one of the topmost peaks of the property, next to the swimming pool. The views from both is breathtaking, opening out to the endless view of the sea. The breakfast spread is great and worth not missing for. Though limited options in Vegetarian, there is still a variety wide enough for one to try out new stuff on a day-to-day basis. Beverages are slightly overpriced - both cocktails and liquor.

If you're on a lookout for a beachside resort, this may not be the best pick considering it offers a cliff view of the sea without any direct pathway leading to the beach. Overall, a great value for money - especially at off-peak seasons. Under-charged stay, with a service and experience of nothing less than a 5-star.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a higher altitude for a better view and privacy.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We went to this resort in April 2014 with two kids. Booked via deals.com. I would recommend this hotel, Yes it is on very steep hill so depending on your fitness can be walked or you can take a golf cart. Our room was a cosy room, double bed for kids and king for us. Great views, wonderfull breakfast, dinner and lunch costs ok. It is a bit of distance from shops etc but there is a free shuttle that goes back and forth. Taxi can be taken as well (watch prices), Found staff very helpfull and even helped with issue we had with outside tailor, spa on site is great

Room Tip: Book cosy, try and get close to resterant
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Great Room, Great Staff, Great Food with Free Shuttle to Chewang Beach or Fisherman's Village Daily. Nice Pool Also. Good Value for Money. Not far from Beach with nice Views. Owner and CEO very approachable and friendly.

Room Tip: See Above.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Baywater Resort Samui
#4 of 50 in Lamai Beach
Prana Resort Nandana
Prana Resort Nandana
#12 of 187 in Bophut

Been to Mantra Samui Resort? Share your experiences!