I have given this hotel a 2 star rating based on it being a 5 star resort. However please note that this hotel has the potential to be amazing, but it's definitely not a 5 star resort at the moment, more along 3/4 stars.
I stayed at the hotel over New Years, it cost me c. £700 for 6 nights, which was advertised as being with a 70% off deal. I would have cried if I had paid the full amount. I stayed in the Cozy room as there were 2 of us, and no other rooms cater to having an extra bed option. You can request one, but it's not guaranteed. I was very happy with the size of the suite, it was very spacious and the Cozy rooms are located right next to the pool and restaurant which was great.
As I have mixed reviews about this resort I think it will be easier to put my thoughts down in a list of positives and negatives.
- beautiful views from all over the resort looking over Bophut beach. Yes, it's up a steep hill but we knew this as it's mentioned all over the website. I'm not exactly fit and have bad knee's but you can walk around the resort or have the option for the hotel buggies to take you about.
- Breakfast was amazing. Lot's of options from the buffet, and the choice of having any freshly eggs cooked for you, along with bacon etc.
- Cozy room was really spacious. The bathroom was amazingly big. I could easily move in to this room. Great added extra of having free international calls available and a massive selection of films etc to watch.
- Some staff were amazingly friendly and helpful.
- Room service available 24 hours - menu had a varied selection of both Western and Thai dishes to choose from. Reasonable prices for a resort.
- NYE dinner gala event. Staff participated in performances and the food was great. There were also raffles (we won a free meal), and also the option to light lanterns. It was really nice to see staff enjoy themselves on NYE instead of working hard with no play.
- Shuttle bus to Bophut and Chaweng.
- Spa at the hotel. Although a bit pricey for Thailand I had the most amazing massage (signature massage)
- Cute little messages left around room with lollipops and chocs etc was a nice touch. Love all the mantra messages in the room and around the hotel.
- Gym was great (although I only had a quick glance). There's also a squash court somewhere and a child area.
- Free cookery class was great with Oh.
- Loved the swim up bar in the infinity pool - beautiful. Great that they also had happy hour on a daily basis.
- On arrival of our room I noticed that our balcony was broken and falling apart. I pointed this out straight away, and was told that this would be fixed when we went out for dinner that evening, but this never happened. Even after several complaints. Health and safety is clearly not important at this hotel.
- The cozy room day bed was like a piece of stone slab. I have never in my life come across something so uncomfortable and had hardly any sleep for the 6 days I was there for. It took them 4 days to bring me blankets and pillows for the bed!!
- When we tallied up the room service bill when checking out we noticed that they had added on a few surprise items eg a bottle of vodka. They tried to not let me view the bill in the first place so this obviously explained why!! When I confronted them they asked no questions and took the items off.
- Although the room was impressive the furniture was very used and scruffy, with missing drawer handles etc.
- For a 5 star hotel you have to pay for the coffee in your room. Also, if you run out of water provided room service will not bring you any more, after quite a few requests.
- No reception. If you want anything you can only contact reception by phone. I wanted to complain about not having any blankets after several requests but there's no one you can physically talk to about the request.
- TV in bedroom did not work.
- Shuttle bus timings to Bophut were inconvenient. Chaweng timings looked ok.
- They say that wifi is essential (this did not work in our room, I only got connection by the pool). I believe that toilet paper is more of an essential requirement but
once again this is something we only had after calling at least 10 times
- Room service will not collect use plates and cutlery from room at request. I had to sleep in a room smelling of food as we didn't want to leave plates outside because of the wildlife.
- Still waiting for a bath to be run as promised... They say they can change the soaps on a daily basis if requested but this isn't true.
- Daily clean towels were not provided.
- The infinity pool was amazing, but not enough loungers for guests. We only got to use it once it was getting cooler in the day, after 18:00.
- Coffee at breakfast was great, but it took them at least 30-50 to actually make the coffee each morning. No breakfast tea to have instead.
- Food was ok. Do not go for any pasta dishes, it tastes like rubber. The thai food and pizza were amazing. Had to send back 2 steaks at dinner as they were hard as a rock.
- Hard to get some staff's attention - they would just stand around chatting in the restaurant.
- Hot water in room was a bit temparmental. Didn't bother us too much but mean't I couldn't use the bath.
To sum up the negatives out weigh the positives, but I really do feel that this resort has the potential to be amazing, it just needs a few tweaks. I had a fun holiday, albeit tired from no sleep on the rock of a bed. It was stressful that reception and room service had to be called at least 10 times over 3 days to provide basics like toilet paper, towels, water, blankets etc, and I wouldn't even expect a 2 star hotel to be as incompetent as this.
I really do hope that they improve as it could be a great success.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on a hillside in the popular town of Bophut, Mantra Samui Resort offers guests some of the most spectacular panoramic views of Koh Samui's beautiful coastline. Guests can enjoy these views in peace while being only a short distance from countless shops, an array of local restaurants and some of the most stunning beaches you have ever seen. The complimentary shuttle bus service allows ease of travel to all of these local hotspots. The hotel has a wide range of comfortable yet luxurious rooms, most of which have an amazing ocean view. On-site facilities are available for guests to enjoy, including; superb cuisine at Ubuntu Restaurant, an infinity pool with wonderful views of the island, a variety of treatments at the ''Splendid Spa'', a yoga studio with Himalayan Salt Bricks - offering complimentary classes daily, and a top of the range fitness center which is open 24 hours a day. Mantra Samui Resort also has a 24-hour staff-service for guests. If assistance is required at any time of the day, simply ask and one of the team will be happy to help. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Mantra Samui Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra Samui Hotel Bophut
- Mantra Samui Resort Ko Samui/Bophut