“Mantra Hotel”

Mantra Samui Resort
Ranked #15 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Mantra resort while checking out wedding venues, the hotel itself was a great place to chill out and relax, the buffet breakfast was ample with both western and eastern options available, the coffee was good and the staff extremely helpful, the location is a little difficult if you plan on walking down to the main road, did a round trip to the pharmacy and would not recommend it for the faint hearted, the hotel did provide free shuttle services which we used it it's full extent, the room service was prompt and reasonably priced, the room also had a good collection of movies for the days we didn't feel like venturing too far, the walk to the restaurant is very steep if your located near the reception but there were golf cart buggies around to give you a lift, the hotel gym was amazing and allowed me to continue my bench, squat and free weight exercises, it isn't located near the beach but had an amazing view to compensate, on a clear day it really took my breath away, thank you mantra for a great week!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I was looking forward to our six nights at this resort and do need to qualify this review by explaining that this was the seventh Hotel/Resort we stayed at during our recent seven week holiday in Thailand and Laos - so I can't help comparing it to other places which we felt were far more spectacular (views/room/pool/service) yet cost far less....overall we came away disappointed and believe that they could (and should) make some minor changes that would have improved our experience.

What we liked: The friendly staff, the free shuttle service provided (we used this everyday to go to either Bophut or Chaweng), the great views - from pretty much everywhere, the very prompt and courteous golf buggy service (to and from reception/spa etc) and the rooms were spacious.

What we didn't like: There is an overall shabbiness to the place (our WOW room especially) that I hope they are working to rectify/refurbish. The main hub (breakfast/restaurant area) near the pool was so oppressively hot during our stay that it was virtually deserted apart from breakfast times. They could easily improve this by having more ceiling fans (or fans in general) installed in this area. I had only one inedible meal during our seven weeks in South East Asia and you guessed it - it was here (avoid the lamb shank & polenta). My recommendation would be to stick to the pizzas. I would also look to improve the lighting on the stairs leading down to the restaurant toilet facilities - quite dark and therefore potentially dangerous.

Overall we didn't mind the 80 odd steps to and from the breakfast/pool area and enjoyed the complimentary spa treatment (very relaxing) - but believe that the position of the resort did colour our overall perception of Koh Samui and for us, not having easy (walkable) access to shops, restaurants and bars was an issue - it taught us a valuable lesson. So while it did what it said on the box (resort on a steep hill), it wasn't 'special' enough for us to rate our experience as anything other than average.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alralph_adventures
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Mantra was an amazing place to stay! We stayed in the wow room whichever as basic. A nice big bed, very spacious room and a view of the island from the balcony. The room also came with a kitchen if needed.

The best part of the resorts was the amazing pool which overlooked the other islands and was absolutely stunning.

The staff were friendly and we're very willing to help us. The resort is very steep as it is on a hill! Even using a buggy to get up and down to the rooms was an interesting ride!

The major issue with staying here was getting to places. There were no other restaurants or shops around and the shuttle service was strategically planned so that there were no shuttles during dinner time. You either had to go early and spend the day there or go after dinner and have dinner a the resort. Another issue was the hot water system. It seemed that the hot water would always cut out and you go from having a steaming hot shower to a nice cold shower!

Taxis to mantra were 500 baht. It seems to be the fixed price here!

The foods was adequate! We found the dishes abit overpriced however for the convenience it was worth it!

I would recommend mantra only if you want to relax not explore the islands

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My wife & I spent 9 nights ( and days ) at the Mantra Samui Resort. They rate / or are 5-star rated at www.booking.com, I don’t agree with that rating at all ! For a 5 star, the level is completely different, this is maybe a 3+ star resort. Does this mean it’s a bad resort - NOT at all ! Lets start with the good things : Nice location if you like quiet far away from "taxi,taxi" "hey Boss, where you from?", spectacular views, great fitness centre, enough space in the rooms, which also are "chic" in their design, absolutely great pool which is clean, well maintained garden/park. So what is the issues then ? I think it is basically 4 issues, and I rate them in order of severeness. 1. Restaurant food, taste & quality is lacking a lot. While the included breakfast buffet comes in with a "just passable below average", the dinner was a disaster. The more complex dishes, the worst is the shortfall ( omelette was ok ). You can not run a 5 star resort, with a 1,5 "star" restaurant. On top of that it must be really bad business, people are pushed away from the resort, instead of eating delicious food on the resort every evening. 2. Maintenance - For a 5 star resort, there are many small things that are lacking attention ( I can at least mention 15 small things that I saw ). Does this make a big difference for the total customer stay value - Not really, for the customer interception of the resort - Quite a lot ! 3. Staff, as always in Thailand, staff extremely friendly, run heads over heals to help you with the things you might need. So no lack of willingness, but if communication skills in English, is on a very limited level, you can be as helpful as you want - doesn’t work anyhow. I am a very clear communicator, and 9 days of 9, I did not get what I ordered at breakfast ( and it was like 2 orders, 1 coffee & 1 omelette with ham ), it tells me 2 things, waitress does not understood what I said, or, chef/kitchen does not manage or care what comes on the plate. I think it is a combination of both. This is a Management problem, not a staff problem, give them basic English education. 4.This resort is not easy for unfit or slightly handicapped people, elevation is extremely steep, and that can be a problem to consider. Summary – After all these candid & hard statements – Where we happy with our stay at the Mantra ? YES ! We are satisfied & happy, Price & Performance match and we had a good stay. Would we return ? If the kitchen have a strong improvement – YES for sure, if not, doubtful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and spend my birthday here. However I was not aware that my boyfriend had been in contact with the hotel to arrange a birthday meal on the balcony and an upgrade to the love room. The hotel were fantastic help and arranged it all for him with no problem!! The food was divine and the pool are was breath taking!! The staff were so friendly! It is up in the hills however golf Buggys are used to transport you around the resort. The breakfast was amazing and the location is also good , close to bophut & chaweng!! A very relaxing stay with amazing views!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately we only stayed here for a couple of nights however could have stayed for 2 weeks! Food is outstanding especially breakfast, cocktails delicious and our lunch at the pool was also tasty too, yes prices are high for Thailand but you get what you pay for and I don't mind paying a little more for quality.. We stayed in a love room with a hot tub.. Book this room! Huge balcony with day beds and the hot tub made for a very relaxing & romantic trip.
We had no issues with the staff always very friendly and smiley.
Yes, there are not loads of sun loungers but we always managed to get 2 next to each other even at around 11am!
We are hoping to go back to koh samui in 2016 and won't even bother to look at staying at other hotels!
The only mark down is it is a way from the beach which is fine for me as they provide a shuttle many times a day but this may not be the perfect location for a beach lover.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wardy_54
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I booked initially for just 3 days, but the view of my room for the price i booked and the service they provided with excellent breakfast,i simply couldnt resist in extending my stay for another 3 days.

robert the guy there has put allot effort in making it romantic and interesting. would definitely recommend it and would go there again

Room Tip: love jacuzzi 111. best views