“Good bar for a drink, or to watch a sports event”

Billabong Surf Club
Ranked #55 of 444 Restaurants in Bophut
Price range: US$3 - US$13
Cuisines: Australian, Bar, Pub
Good for: View, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A lively Australian beach bar and restaurant sat in the heart of the popular Fisherman's Village in Koh Samui. With cold beer and cocktails, an Aussie pub menu, a full Australian and International sports program and great live music, this makes The Billabong Surf Club a must visit pub!
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Good bar for a drink, or to watch a sports event”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Watched the Wimbledon men's final, and drank a few cold beers, lovely sea breezes passing through the restaurant. Staff were attentive and polite, central position on the main street in fishermans village

Visited June 2014
1 Thank macneillfamily
graham a, General Manager at Billabong Surf Club, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Hi There

I am glad you enjoyed your time with us. It is the perfect place to do exactly what you did. Please come back and see us again.

• Indonesian first
Hong Kong
“Lovely location, shame about the portion sizes”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

After a few hours at the beach the family were hungry and we headed to try out Billabong. it was early so the place was very quiet just a few other patrons. We took a great table / bar area so we overlooked the beach.

We are a family of 6, with 4 children ages 16/15/13/11. The oldest two being boys who are taller and larger than most men. so we keep them well feed ....Kiwi family

Service was great, lovely guy looked after us while there. Free Wifi kept the kids amused so was appreciated

Dinners arrived and the only ones who were happy we our two girls 11/13 as they dont eat that much. But unfortunately the portion sizes were well below standard, and certainly well below that which we expected from a Aussie pub. The girls gave that what they didn't eat to the boys which topped them up.

Burger and chips plus salad, was burger (ok but mine was cold) about 15 chips and a slightly larger than a butter dish which had coleslaw drowned in mayo. All plates looked empty

Price was higher than what we paid the night before just down the road, food was ok but big downer was the very small portions

family votes not to return

• Visited July 2014
graham a, General Manager at Billabong Surf Club, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Hi Tania

I am sorry to hear that your meal was not up to quantity expectations but reading between the lines met quality expectations except for yours which you recorded as being cold. The Billabong has always served its burgers using the same measurements of quantity and always endeavors to serve all meals ordered at the same time. I have not had a review in the past citing quantity as being a problem however I will look into this matter as well as the coleslaw.

We thank you for your comments as all comments help us to better our business in the future . I would like to see the family reverse their decision and return and please contact me directly and we will try to make your stay better

Dubai
“Great little bar in fishermans village”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

During our stay on Koh Samui we have called in here a few times for a cold beer and we have not been disappointed. This is what we would class as a friendly watering hole where the atmosphere is relaxed and friendly, there is sport on the tv, but not intrusive, you can still chat to whoever you may meet there. Graham tries to put on the best sport coverage he can, considering this place is used by Brits, Australians and pretty much everyone one in between. The food is typical bar food, good quality, nicely presented. For us, we will always remember watching the British Grand Prix there, could not have asked for a better place to go, what more can you ask, clean bar, good service, cold beer , oh yes and a British win, thank you to whoever knobbled Rosberg gearbox.

• Visited July 2014
graham a, General Manager at Billabong Surf Club, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you Santa and please make sure that Rudolph gets you both home safely It was a surreal evening culminating in a Tennis match that put the icing on the cake. Thanks again for a fabulous review and please keep in touch.

A cold Beer and Wine awaits your return

Warmest Regards

Graham
Boston, Massachusetts
“Despite great expectations, complete failure to perform”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

After reading reviews of Billabong, I was stoked to head there for drinks after dinner in the Fishermans Village. But our experience was probably the worst bar experience I've ever had.

My wife and I strolled in on a Friday night, close to 21:00, with a live band playing. All signs pointed to merriment. We grabbed the two open stools overlooking the beach. We observed many, virtually all, other patrons enjoying drinks and laughter.

Unfortunately this is where the story turns for my wife and I. We were ignored for 3-4 songs by the band. It became clear to me that there was only ONE server working the entire bar and the tables on the beach. Yikes. Once the server came, she didn't have menus (we had to wait another song for menus). We quickly ordered drinks and tried to laugh, hoping we had turned a corner.

Nope.

We waited 4 more songs for our drinks and finally decided to leave. We passed the server at the bar talking with bartender and barback. Maybe we didn't scream big tip, Maybe she was too busy with whales on the beach. There were 2 distinct demanding groups which seemed to be drawing her attention most of the time but getting a table two rounds of drinks before we get our first? goodness, that's bad service.

• Visited June 2014
graham a, General Manager at Billabong Surf Club, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Hello There
I am truly disappointed that your experience with us was not up to expectations. I do apologize Friday night is one of our busiest nights and we have new staff members. This is in no way an excuse and shall be investigated. The time factor taken to serve you and your wife is not acceptable by our own standards. If you are still on the island please call in again and ask for me and if I am not there ask for my phone number as I would like to make this right for both of you.

Perth, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cold beer”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Nice food - cold beers - great views. Prices are very good - They have dinner specials most nights for around 6 dollars Aud - cocktails are good prices too. Friendly Staff.

• Visited May 2014
Hello There

Thank you for summing up our business so well. That is exactly what we set ourselves to achieve and I am so glad you experienced it. Please do come back and see us.

Much appreciated