“Long boat ride to dive sites”

Easy Divers Bophut-Choeng Mon
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Koh Samui Easy Divers! Our dive school is well established here on Koh Samui – founded in 1987 and run by an international management. We are a PADI-Five Star IDC-Centre, which means that you can do almost every PADI Dive Course – from Discover Scuba Diving all the way up to the Instructor Development Course, we’ve got it all in our program!
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Dived in December and the sea conditions were not good. Did a dive at South Western Pinnacles, and on surfacing conditions had deteriorated and we moved to Koh Phangan where conditions were diveable, although visibility very poor we did spot a number of nudibranchs. I did not do the third dive at this spot as it was already pretty dark; those that did dive decided afterwards that they had wasted their time.

The meals on board were good, everything else was charged extra. The diving conditions would be the same for any operator diving that day. The only negative was the big old dive boat,although in a good condition, which was extremely slow. I was picked up at my hotel in Lamai at 7:00 and was only dropped off at 21;00, due to the long time taken to get to the dive sites. This I suppose would not be a problem were your partner also a diver, not left alone at the hotel. The use of a speed boat for a little extra is recommended, as one is back just after 16:00.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Friendly staff at Chaweng office. Big boat with a lot of space and good food. Equipment was good, friendly instructors: we felt safe.
Sadly the weather conditions were bad and the ~3h boat ride was a little boring. Next time I wouldn't go to Marine Park with the same weather conditions.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

I really enjoyed my trip with Easy Divers. They were organized and served very nice meals on the boat. All of the equipment that I used was nice and well maintained. All of the employees did their best to make sure everyone had a good trip. Water, tea, and coffee are free but sodas and beer are at an additional charge. Unfortunately the weather was bad and the dive site had low visibility. I am not sure what the Easy Divers could have done about this since the weather is not in their control but I was hoping there would have maybe been a more protected site from the weather.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

This is not a tour operator concerned with the overall safety and experience of the people they are bringing to dive sites. My family is in the fishing charter business in Alaska, and I liken this outfit of Easy Divers to the outfits I see in Alaska who only care about getting their income for the day. The decision to run out had to have been based purely on a desire to not refund anyone for the day. I kept hearing the excuse, "Weather is unpredictable." Sorry guys - not in today's day and age. With a quick scan of the internet, I found a service similar to that NOAA has (www.buoyweather.com); just look at that to get an idea for what sea conditions may be like. Never in my dreams did I expect an operator to ignore safety advisories, which were present yesterday!

As a warning for others looking to find a dive shop on Koh Samui, I'll describe a bit of our experience below.

We were on what others writing reviews are calling the "big" boat. It was clear after about 10 minutes that no one was really concerned about water safety. No review of emergency procedures or safety gear was done... Not very professional, especially for a tour operator that was taking some first time divers out for an adventure dive. The day only got worse from there.

Apparently, either no one checked the buoy forecast or they did and simply ignored it. By the time we arrived to the first dive site, there were 2m swells at a relatively frequent interval. Some swells were easily 2.3-2.5 m, though.  Even divers with some experience weren't entirely comfortable getting back into the boat. I cannot believe someone was being asked to finish his open water dives here! Visibility was no more than 3-4m and there was a pretty good clip at the surface, so the poor kid had to work his tail off just to stay in one place before his instructor got back to him (his instructor just said "wait here" and then proceeded to dive down to anchor a buoy - this site was not anywhere near land - just a submerged pinnacle).

Some of the dive masters were happy to take relatively new divers to depths well beyond recommended for newbies.

No instructions were given to people on how to exit the water safely. The ladder on the back of the boat coud have killed someone as it slammed down into troughs.

After a very short dive, I returned to the upper deck to find that passengers' things had been tossed all over the place, as many did not have the experience to know that if it's not tied down, it's going to move. Someone lost their backpack - another lost over clothes.

This was more than just "bad luck" with weather - this was a careless and risky decision that this dive operator made, and I would not recommend this operator to anyone at any experience level.

1  Thank Chris H
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This Group gets a big ten out of ten, especially the team in Bo - Phut.
They have added to an already lovely holiday in Thailand, but had made the experience so much better by being a professional and well-organized diving company.

Easy divers takes the big hassle out of diving and let you enjoy the perks of this wonderful underwater sport, a big bonus is that you get fed and there are ice cold beers on the way back after a long day out.

Be prepared for an all day adventure on the boat and in the water. Where not only do you get to see more amazing sights of the Islands but always meet fellow travelers with the same interests as you.

A big thumbs up!