“Nice pool and good restaurant”

World Resort Bungalow
Ranked #108 of 184 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Stayed here in june 2012. Stayed in the beachfront bungalow, and it was excellent. The pool area is very nice for children, but not by the beach. Restaurant and staff is very friendly and food is very good and breakfast is standard with a small plus. I would go back if it was not for the beach. The Beach looks very nice, but when you walk out in the sea you walk in 20 cm of dark mud. Not very nice... This is not the hotel fault, but there is better beaches in koh Samui I rather be.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Marius74

Reviewed 3 June 2013

One of the older resorts on Samui, so bungalows are nicely spread out, lots of trees and green all through. Bungalows are well maintained, cleaned every day. Beach at resort is wonderful, when palm trees don't provide enough shade during the hot time of day, the pool is a great alternative. Restaurant just above the beach has great breakfast buffet, fresh fruit every day. Dinner there is gorgeous, slightly more expensive than local restaurants, but also more fancy. Staff was friendly. All in all a beautiful resort.

Room Tip: All the bungalows are really nicely set.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sandra D
Reviewed 9 April 2013

When I booked World Resort hotel in Bophut, Samui, directly online, based on some recommendations. I visit Thailand very often, but I could not have imagined that this is going to become the most shocking experience I've ever had there.

World Resort prouds itself to be one of the oldest hotels in Samui. Well, old it is, and not in a good sense of the word. The tiles that cover the front building of the hotel pill off, the lobby area reminds somewhat an old wooden pub with a moldy smell, and the service that you receive (starting from a greeting) is equal to "why did you come and bother us?".

The rooms and bungalows are very old, and you can find cracks in the walls and floors. At nights, workers probably have a drink or two, and you can hear them shout and sing until as late as 2 or 3 AM, so don't count on getting a good sleep. However, it was nothing compared to what I've experienced there a few days later.

I've originally booked 9 nights, but seeing the hotel for what it is, I've dared to ask someone who seemed to be a shift manager (and who hardly speaks any English) whether it's possible to leave earlier and get a refund for the remaining nights. The replied that I received was, "it's not possible to refund you, because you've booked through the agency." Now, the first part I do understand - if you can't/don't want to refund me, just say so, but why lie and tell me that I've booked through the agency, while I did it directly through the hotel's website. Then, a short and polite exchange of opinions followed. All the while, a man was watching this conversation from aside, and the moment I've showed the receipt proving that I've booked directly through their website, he decided to step in. As I later learned, it was the owner of the hotel. Apparently he made it his business to step into a discussion about the refund or no refund of something like USD350. And then the shocker came. He started with, "You don't know me, but I've been listening to this conversation, and I must say that people from your country are 100% bad. I hear it from everyone – the police, other hotels, etc…." I was so stunned, that I've missed the rest of his tirade. I travel all over the world, but that was the first time someone told me this. In reply, I thanked him about his opinion of me and my country, and I told him that I'm going to share it on Tripadvisor and Lonely planet. Then he started twisting and turning, and backing off his statement, claiming that it's not what he thinks, but this is what other people tell him. At this point I didn't care about the money – I just wanted to leave, and so I did, immediately booking the hotel next door – Ibis – which was clean, the staff was courteous, and my stay there was comfortable.
The desk manager later offered not to charge me for the meals I had in their restaurant, which I obviously refused. The owner of World Resort decided to keep $USD 350 and a bad name, rather than compromise, or even not get himself into this situation to begin with. I guess it tells you that the business affairs of this hotel are not that well off. In any case – old hotel, terrible service and racist owner.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Vadim M
Reviewed 5 April 2013 via mobile

Me and my wife went there on our honeymoon. It was a great get away from our daily routine life. Everything was perfect. The reception was the most helpful of all. The only issue was the lack of professionalism from the bar staff and the bar manager. Can't complain much about them. They did their job however they need to be more professional. Avoid the restaurant also. 5 mins walj from the hotel, there is a nice little restaurant. Cheap and delicious food. Was the best holiday so far.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank princeirshad
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We booked a room here for 1 night but stay 6 coz it was so nice. Manager ( phuong ) is a lovely lady and can book any trip for you at best prices.The pool and bar are top class and the lady the run the bar is called Kew she pours an awesome drink. Resturant is right on the beach and we had lovely BBQ on the beach for our anniversary and the staff gave us a special burning balloon as a present.i would definitely stay here again .

Room Tip: Ask for big bed and try to get ground level as there is no lift.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RACQUEL H
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Great resort with kid friendly accomodation, pool, gardens and restaurant. The on site restaurant was lovely and very yummy! My son had his 4th birthday here and they organised the most amazing ice cream cake for him- free!!! The breakfast was amazing and they offer a huge range to cater to everyone's tastes!! Would highly recommend for families!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank PaulineMM
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We arrived at the World Resort expecting good things after reading all the excellent reviews and spending hours doing my homework. We were greeted by friendly staff eager to please that was the only good experience we had!!
We were taken to our bungalow and as we walked In the mouldy smell hit us! The place was dark and dingy. The room was old and ready for a refurb. We opened the fridge to find a half eaten chocolate bar! The bathroom was old and my husband would not have been able to fit in the shower, cobwebs on the walls and a shower gel top still, on the shelf. We were gutted as we were staying here for 6 nights. The place was full of Mosquitos as the windows had big gaps in them sealed up with Sellotape!
I left our bags and went to reception to ask to be moved, the place was full and she would only offer me an upgrade that I would have to pay double for! I was not willing to do that. She sent someone to the room to change the chocolate bar and clear up, and also spray the room and curtains with air freshener. They did try to help although it was to late I couldn't stay.
The wifi was good we were able to look for somewhere else although it was high season and everywhere was packed.
We got a room for the next two nights at the Ibis next door, which was clean and modern and although not very Thai had excellent grounds, was on the beach with good sun beds would recommend it.
I can only go by my experience of this resort and if you are normally staying in beach bungalows that are around 10/20 pounds a night you will probably think these are five star, but if you want clean, comfortable and not mosi infested rooms with the windows sellotaped up go somewhere else!!
I always think when I read one bad review amongst many good ones that it must be a fussy person that likes complaining, I am not that person! I just want a clean nice place to stay and spend my money it was not what I got in World Resort so just beware.

Room Tip: The bungalow we had was the first one as you leave reception one the left, if you get that one leave...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sassysarah85
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
0 mi away
#14 of 30 in Mae Nam
Lawana Resort
Lawana Resort
#74 of 184 in Bophut

Been to World Resort Bungalow? Share your experiences!