This is our first tripadvisor review. We are a young, well travelled couple, and have stayed in many luxurious hotels around the world but this hotel is in a different league. We looked at a few hotels on the island before booking this one and were a little apprehensive as to whether we had made the right decision, but boy, did we make the right decision!
From the moment we entered the grounds we realised we were in for a treat. The hotel itself is comprised of cottages and villas set in a secluded nature reserve located on a private cove.
We opted for a sea view cottage which came with extras such as a bath on the balcony and a four poster bed. The view from the balcony took our breath away and the inside was clean, nicely decorated and roomy. We had previously read on tripadvisor that the interiors were dated; we didn't find this to be the case at all as the cottage fit in perfectly with its surroundings and all its amenities were modern and up to date. We had also read a review that stated that animals and creepy crawlies were rife in the rooms. This was also not the case. The room was cleaned twice a day and if you did have any unwanted guests (such as the small toad that came to say hello to us) the staff were more than happy to come and remove it for you.
The breakfast buffet is the nicest breakfast we have ever had. Everything is fresh and the catering staff are all incredibly friendly and eager to please. The choice is incredible ranging from freshly cooked pancakes and waffles, eggs cooked to order, cereals, fruits, bread, Full English, Thai, cheese, yoghurts etc etc.
There are also a number of restaurants to choose from within the hotel. Our favourite was the beach restaurant (Po-Lad) which served a range of both western and eastern dishes; all of which were delicious. There's something special about candle lit dining on your own private beach :)
There were 2 pools, the main pool and the infinity pool. Even though the hotel was at full capacity neither pool ever felt crowded and sun beds were always available. Iced water, fruit and cold towels were frequently brought to our beds by the excellent pool staff.
The hotel has its own private beach which can only be accessed through the hotel and is for guests only. The sand is corse but didn't bother us in the slightest. We were delighted to discover that the hotel provides a range of free non motorised water activities such as kayaks, wind surfs and sailing boats (you can even get free sailing lessons from the beach staff!)
The hotel is set in a huge wooded area with rooms set back on the hillside. However this is not a problem as golf buggys are always available to take you around the hotel at your convenience.
All the staff at Tongsai bay are incredible. We have never experienced such a genuine desire to please. We were treated like royalty from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. My wife lost her wedding ring under the decking whilst we were having a drink one evening. The waitress was literally going to unscrew the entire decking the retrieve the decking. Luckily she created a hook out of paper clips and chopsticks and managed to retrieve it. My wife was also ill at one point. The staff seemed genuinely concerned and delivered breakfast in bed to our room. The hotel manager, Mark, is very approachable and down to earth and couldn't do enough to help us.
Cheong mon is the local town and is a 15 minute walk away (taxis are available from the hotel and cost 150 baht each way if you don't fancy the walk). We found the restaurants here to be great value for money and the beach front bars are worth a visit.
We also visited Bophut (the Fishermans Village is a must see especially on a Friday which is market day) and Chaweng where we saw Thai boxing at the local stadium. Both of these are a 10-15 minute drive away and cost 400 baht each way via the hotel taxi service.
To conclude, if you want a private paradise on a beautiful island with gourmet food and world class service you will be hard pressed to find anywhere better than here. A truly magical experience we are already saving to go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tongsai Bay is located on Ko Samui, an island in the Gulf of Thailand just a short travel distance by air from Bangkok and across the southern peninsula. The view of Tongsai Bay is hypnotic, as its set amidst a secluded ocean cove; an eco-friendly colony of cottages, low rise buildings and villas barely displacing the lush greenery on the hills of the island's northeast corner. 3 restaurants serve Thai, and international food and the hotel hosts regular live music for evening entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Travelbag, Ctrip TA, Southall Travel, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Tongsai Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tongsai Bay Cottages And Hotel
- Tongsai Bay Cottages Hotel Bophut
- Tongsai Bay Hotel
- Tongsai Bay Resort
- The Tongsai Bay Ko Samui/Bophut