“Paradise found”

Ranked #5 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
London, United Kingdom
“Paradise found”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I was going to start this review, by telling you about the private beach, or the 25 acres of lush green grounds that the hotel sits in,but these are things you can find out about by looking at the hotels website.I decided instead to tell you about the most important things that you can only know by staying at the Tongsai bay, so here goes. From the time we arrived till the time we left we were treated like royalty!
Upon arrival, we were greeted with a cold drink and ice cold towels to refresh ourselves after our long journey. The check in process was very quick, a swipe of a credit card,then we were taken by buggy to our wonderful suite.(Suite 304, fantastic view of the private beach)
At breakfast the next morning we were greated by Su and Jimmy, two wonderful ladies who attended to our every need, these two wonderful people made our time at the Tongsai bay so special, on a scale off 1 to 10 I'd give them 20 they really were so special. All of the staff were simply wonderful.
One night when leaving the restaurant, there was a young man outside of reception, as my wife and I approached him, he bid us good evening, and enquired if everything at the hotel was to our liking? Which of course it was. This young man was actually the owner's son, and although he was on his way out to a function, he spent 15 minutes chatting to us making sure we were happy, then introduced us to the general manager Leisa who also enquired if everything was ok. I can't immagine the owner at any other hotel I've stayed at spending time with guest like that, perhaps thats why everybody (other guest) we spoke to at the hotel were so happy.
This review doesn't go into detail about the wonderful restaurants, the private beach, fitness room, tennis courts, spa, entertainment etc, other reviewers or the hotel's website have told you about those things, my biggest compliment is this,
On the day we were leaving, I came out of the shower to find my wife sitting on the bed, and she was crying, I asked "whats wrong" she replied that she was sad, because she felt like she was leaving her family behind, and I knew exactly what she meant, that's exactly how it was for me too. The Owner, management and staff at the Tongsai bay made us feel so special, our new found family, and we hope to be visiting again very soon.
The Tongsai bay hotel and cottages, the 5 star hotel with 7 star service. Mr & Mrs Steel.

• Stayed May 2014
19 Thank Al B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed 30 May 2014

General comments
I stayed at the hotel from 5 to 10 May 2014. I booked on line directly with the hotel. They replied by email to a question I had very quickly. Upon arrival we were welcomed with a cold drink and a cold wet towel which was perfect after the long trip and in such heat (30-34 degrees). Check in was a pleasure (we did not even had to get up from the comfortable sofa we were seated). Staff was amazing!!!!! Extremely polite, always with a smile, getting out of their way to help with whatever you asked. Immediate response to everything we wanted. For example, I had to give them my shoe which needed fixing and within 15 minutes it was fixed and delivered to my room.

Location
The hotel starts from the beach and rises above the sea. You can easily walk everywhere but with the heat it was easier to call for buggies. The response is so quick that you hardly wait for them.
The beach is very nice but as I come from a place with plenty of beaches, I was not impressed. It is white sand (not powder soft but sandy) but it was mostly a bit windy and the sea was wavy. The water wasnot the clear water you get at the Maldives for example. Having said this, we rented a car and have seen many beaches of Koh Samui (and all the 5* hotels) and they are pretty much all the same. The only one that was better was the becah at Rainassanse which was powder soft and very shallow but the water had the tepreture of a soup there!
It is very close to the airport but need a car to go anywhere. Taxis however are not expensive and you could use them daily to go wherever you want to go.

Pools
There are 2 pools. One infinity where kids are not allowed and it is nice and quiet and one on the beach. Both very well run with the staff runing behind you to help you.

Other fascilities
Drinking water is free throughout the hotel and so was wifi. There is a car rental company so if you decide to book a car for a day or two, you can do it there. If however you are certain you want to get a car, it is a lot cheaper to book it before you travel and pick it at the airport upon your arrival even if this means keeping it for a bit longer than required as you save the taxis to and from the airport too.

Restaurants
There are 2 of them. One on the beach and one higher up by the reception. We tried both. Food was excellent, reasonably priced and service outstanding. Unless you are really fussy about your food, you do not really need to leave the hotel to dine. We had a private dinner on the beach to celebrate by husband's 50th birthday and we had the most amazing food cooked for us on the beach and served to us at a nicely prepared private table on the sand. Highly recommended if you celebrate a special event. You are given a menu and get to choose whatever you like for a fixed price. If you want to get out of the hotel for an excellent dinner, try the 'Dining on the rocks' which is at the next hotel on the other side of the hill. It is a 5' taxi ride.
At breakfast you could have whatever you can imagine. Fresh fruit is peeled for you on the spot and so are smoothies of your choice or juices. You can order any type of coffee, eggs, freshly baked croissants and bread etc etc. There was nothing that I needed that I could not find.

The only problem were the mosquitos. The hotel provides a mosquito machine but it was not enough for us. Mosquitos always love me (and do not touch my husband) and I was bitten within 24 hours very badly. If you have the same problem, make sure you take with you creams, machines, sprays and whatever else keep them away. This is a problem everywhere in Thailand, not just at this hotel.
All in all, an excellent choice!!!!

Koh Samui
You can see the island over maximum 2 days. We went everywhere. The biggest disappointment were the waterfalls: DO NOT BOTHER! I do not know what happens after the rainy season but when we went there was water only on one or two of them and it was nothing spectacular. There are amazing sunsets at the west side of the island (Nathom) - that is where all the locals are and there are hardly any hotels. We have amazing pictures from that area. Elephant rides are overated so unless you are really keen, skip that too. Maybe the best option if you have extra days is to go on a boat trip for dicing or snorkelling. This is something we did not do. Otherwise just spend a day going round to see the island and then stay at the hotel and chill!!!!

Comparison of Tongsai Bay with other 5* hotels
We drove round and saw all 5* hotels. Here is my assessment of the ones that are worth considering.
6 senses:
It is just round the corner from the Tongsai Bay. It is a much bigger hotel with many many cottages, much smaller in size I believe than the one we stayed in at Tongsai Bay. Buggies everywhere there too and 2 amazing restaurants (one with awesome sun sets and one above the water (dining on the rocks).
Santiburi:
It is probably the only hotel that is flat with the beach, without buggies and hills. It is traditional with a lot of wood and a long beautiful sandy beach (sand very similar to the Tongsai Bay).
Reinassance
It has probably the best beach for me but it is at a different area. The hotel itself is neat and luxurious. The cottages on the beach are to die for.

Room Tip: I booked a seafront cottage. In the patio you have total privacy and the only sounds you have is the...
10 Thank Vanessa057
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here in a Hillside Villa and it was amazing. A jacuzzi and a double bed with netting all round it out on the balcony, so much outdoor space with a perfect view of the beach and resort. The inside space and bedroom was just as clean, tidy and comfortable.
The staff are all so perfect and really enjoy having a laugh with you too. I genuinely made friends during our stay having got up at 7 every morning to play football with the guys who work there, hitching a lift on a moped with one of the restaurant managers and playing on a gravel pitch next to a river and some temples. The food in all the restaurants is first class and our room with a view was lovely. Believe all the great bits you read, it is truly an amazing place.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We spent 6 days at Tongsai Bay and we had a sea front cottage suite.
The sea front cottages are in the tropical garden, on the cliff with an amazing view on the bay. The cottage was very clean, nicely furnished.
The resort is spread out in a fantastic tropical garden has its own private beach in its own bay. Very peaceful, relaxing and cosy. Perfect for relaxation, quietness and romance.
Sunbeds are spread between the beach and the swimming pool and you can easily jump from the sea into the pool and viceversa. There is a second pool, the infinity one, little bit further up the hill with a great view on the bay.
The staff of Tongsai Bay is very helpful, supportive and professional. The resort is very well managed.
Breakfast is excellent. We also ate at the Po Lad beach bistro and Chef Chom's both were very good.
From the resort you cannot walk anywhere you need to have a transportation or use the taxi. Chaweng beach is a 10 minutes drive away. The fisherman village and Mae Nam 15 minutes away. We used the taxi service for our visits and was optimal.

I recommend this resort it is a special location in pure relaxation and you can decide anytime to join the crowds by taxi.

Room Tip: Sea front cottages are very nice. The A/C unit is a bit noisy but I guess this is in all units.
1 Thank Clo C
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Spent a fantastic 9 days in May 2014 at this fabulous 25 acre resort. Private beach with picture postcard scenery. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary and we chose a beachfront suite which was huge and came with a bath on the massive balcony.The staff were lovely and so attentive.If you needed a drink at the pool you waved a red flag from your sunbed and the were there in seconds.The grounds were scrupulously clean and the pool and sea were so warm it was like taking a bath.Would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Choose a beachfront suite on third floor for best views.
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We really can't thank the Entire staff of Tongsai Bay enough! We had a really enjoyable and relaxing 2 week holiday in paradise, with a beautiful location, lovely people, great food and drink. Nothing was too much trouble and the attention to detail at Tongsai was phenomenal. Things were done to accommodate our stay without even asking. The staff are totally in tune with their guests individual needs and this makes for a great atmosphere and a lovely friendly stay. Now pair this in with a gorgeous beach, beautiful surroundings and lovely cottages and you have the makings of a perfect holiday.
On a note about the beach it is STUNNING - whatever negatives you have read by previous people please disregard them. Having been lucky enough to go to some of the greatest beaches in the world (Grand Anse Grenada, Butterfly Bay St Lucia, Kata Thani Phuket and countless in the Grenadines and Oz) I can only say that Tongsai's private beach on Choeng Mon is easily up there with those beaches!
Special thanks to Big, Pong and all in the fabulous restaurant and bar staff and all the staff in general. We would love to return and hopefully will!

3 Thank GuyP16
dundee
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I guess to sum this place up think about the golden ticket in the chocolate bar. If you are lucky enough to grab a chance to stay here all your dreams and expectations of what is magical and perfection will come true.
Marcello I don,t know what Tongsai Bay you stayed at but your comments regarding the staff couldn,t be further from the truth.
If you are choosing between Banyan Tree, 6 Senses and Four Seasons and this magnificent place choose Tongsai. You will enjoy the most luxurious time of your life!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank connorhunter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
#14 of 187 in Bophut
Banyan Tree Samui
Banyan Tree Samui
#1 of 50 in Lamai Beach

Been to The Tongsai Bay? Share your experiences!