“Paradise”
Review of The Tongsai Bay

The Tongsai Bay
Ranked #6 of 184 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Absolute beaut of a holiday!! Everything about it was a pleasure. Chaweng was a great experience that we went to a number of nights and Fishermans Village was great for quieter nights. Had dinner on last night by the beach bar which was incredible. Staff always attentive and couldn't do more. Just watch out for cicada (bugs) they are noisy and fly at you.... All part of the fun though. Loved it! Will go again for sure!!!!

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Laurakedwards12
There are newer reviews for The Tongsai Bay

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We were very lucky when we stayed here we had a villa tucked into the hill side with the most amazing views especially at sunset with a sunken bath tub on the deck what a wonderful way to start your evening. Spacious rooms with everything you could ask including a big comfy bed.

I found Tongsai such a romantic relaxing place, we loved every minuet and managed some quiet time by the pool on the beach and even a little afternoon tea in sip. I really hope to get a chance to stay again one day.

It was a while ago now & I know there is a lot more competition in this up market type resort but I think Tongsai would be hard to beat thanks to trailfinders for recommending it so highly and a good friend

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Today, I have the honeymoon blues.

Thinking back to our 11 night stay in a suite with a pool outside. It was heaven.

Service was excellent. Food was superb. Location was bliss. I dont miss the insects but I do miss the other wildlife that was everywhere.

The management appear to be taking care of their staff with a 10% service charge on all service for food and drink. At first I was a little taken aback that this was on all items however the level of service is so high, they deserve every penny (Bhat).

Samui's finest private bay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2014

there're arguably a bit more luxurious and modernised hotels on the samui island. but it takes more than prices, the views, services, all the tangible tastes, and so on, to get my mind imprinted of such a valuable memory. and tongsai bay stood out beyond any criteria.

ten minute ride from the airport, of which arranged by the hotel, i and my wife were placed at a private beach on the north eastern part of samui. we were due to stay for 2 nights and were very lucky to get our room upgraded from tongsai pool villa to seafront pool villa.

the best way to explore the island is to rent a car (or a motorbike, if you prefer). taxi price per trip is ridiculously over charged. it could go up to THB600 per person per ride. i managed to pull out a yaris for THB1,000 a day (USD31). the hotel also offers car rental service, operated by its partner. once i got my own ride, the hotel's relatively remote location was no longer a problem.

at tongsai, i noticed their extensively endless efforts to go green. like some other luxurious hotels, they start with co-existing in harmony with the nature by not killing anything. if i was irritated by any species, i could just ask the staffs to remove them professionally but luckily we didn't feel so. hotel amenities came in form of recyclable ceramics so less plastic is used. there was a note indicating how towels can be reused or replaced regularly as requested, hence it saves the water. it was these details the impressed me. to me these practices define the hotel's characters. in the checking out evaluation form, i even advised them to do the in room garbage separation. i'm certain a number of guests would concur and co-operate.

the service was also remarkable and attended with much caring. during my stay, any guest would have to go to the lobby's common room to watch the world cup due to broadcasting right. i took some cans of beer with me. once i opened the beer, one of the staffs came up with a big bucket of ice so the remaining cans could be properly chilled through the time i spent there. it's beyond expectation in a very positive way.

the food was great. pizza was the winner for me. breakfast was also cool, with various stalls and styles. i ordered thai-style omelette and it came with rice and seasoning which's how it's supposed to be served and implied how detail-oriented the staffs were trained to be.

i couldn't have asked for more but ask myself to get back there and stay for a longer period, mesmerised.

Room Tip: go for seafront pool villa ++
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chasetti
Reviewed 9 July 2014

As regular visitors to beautiful Samui this place exceeded our expectations, and was by far the nicest place we've stayed in. It was a great first 5 days of the holiday, very relaxing and private. This is a serious piece of real estate as their name suggests - they own the bay!
What really stood out for us was the service, which was faultless with good English (best so far probably). Staff often took the initiative to go above what we asked for and they remembered who we were and were very accommodating. The chef at Chef Choms was very sweet and made additional food which was not on the menu at our request, and everything really was delicious, never too sweet or too spicy, but never bland.

We were upgraded to room 506 which was stunning - great view but lots of privacy, our own pool which was large and we actually used a lot, and a lovely daybed with mosquito net.

Room service food/selection all fantastic, not too badly priced either.
Best for couples or families to just relax and soak up the amazing vistas and location.
My wife literally slept for half of it, meaning she switched off properly, brilliant.
Great showers with reliable and predictable pressure/temp. I like that.

The view from the gazebo/daybed/deck/pool was amazing (sea view pool villa), postcard worthy in every way (palms, sea, infinity pool, tree tops and birds everywhere).

Just a great, top of the range luxury beautiful resort (but below 4 Seasons etc. - prices I don't think are justified and this place easily competes at half their price).

I'd avoid if you're old/infirm or unsteady on your feet. Lots of 2-5 minute stair climbs, in order to get from your villa to reception/bar/food - unless you call for a buggy and can wait instead.

Breakfast was the best selection we have ever seen at a hotel.

As Tongsai is effectively it's own part of the island, you may find yourself going nowhere else. Not a bad thing at all but perhaps 7 days is enough here anyway.

Summary - the question is this:

- stay at a great hotel/resort like the Hansar, Sandalwood, or pay double for Tongsai. Is it worth it?

Answer - yes, do it if you can afford it. We would have stayed here longer if we could.

Room Tip: go for a pool villa if your budget can reach- room 506 was fab! Amazing pool/temp/ Sea view rooms...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RIJM
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed with my family last week in Tongsai Bay and we booked 2 beach front suites whose location was splendid within the resort. Overall the Resort in terms of tranquillity, location for a quiet but yet not so far from the market / restaurants was lovely. Not too far from the airport , Bophut , fisherman's wharf, Chewang etc but I would recommend to hire a car for the stay so that you have the flexibility of driving out and exploring these areas and other areas in the island, which we did.
The resort itself has lovely and courteous staff. Very friendly and they look into your needs very effectively and efficiently. However, the resort is rather old and definitely needs modernisation. The look and feel of the resort, the lobby, the rooms, toilets etc surely need to be re-done or modernized. The wood is looking old and with the many newer properties around, this surely needs a re-doing.
The restaurants are good but the quality of breakfast surely is not on par with what a good resort would / should offer. The quality of breads / variety of food offered for breakfast needs improvement.
Overall a good holiday / good resort but nothing great and wouldn't attract me for a 'come back' with so much being offered around.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the ocean are lovely
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank rohit008
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in May 2014 for 8 nights with my boyfriend and had an amazing time.
When we arrived we were upgraded for free to a cottage suite. Our room was near the beach room 222, overlooking the pool and beach and the views were amazing. The room was clean and gorgeous and was cleaned every day. We were even given free bottled water and fruit in our room during our stay which was replenished every day.
The beach water is warm and clear but the sand is very coarse. However, this is not the hotels fault.
The breakfast was amazing. You could have anything from a full English breakfast to fruit to waffles to donuts to sushi! You could have your eggs how you like and fresh fruit smoothies made for you. And the staff were so helpful taking our plates to our table so we could get our drinks. Breakfast was awesome.
The restaurant food for lunch/dinner was nice but quite expensive. We are dinner most nights in Chaweng as it was cheaper and more variety.
To get to chaweng you can take taxis from the hotel. We chose to do this. They were not cheap but very efficient and always were on time to pick us up to take us back to the hotel.
The hotel was not fully booked so was quite quiet, just how I like it. I had such a great time and found the staff here so nice and attentive. This hotel really catered for us, everything was provided from umbrellas to free bottled water. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Lisa N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand
Six Senses Samui
Six Senses Samui
#20 of 184 in Bophut

Been to The Tongsai Bay? Share your experiences!