“Sam&Sarah Six Senses Samui-Perfection”
Review of Six Senses Samui

Six Senses Samui
Ranked #36 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Having just spent a week at Six Senses Koh Samui with my wife on our Honeymoon I am gutted to have left! This was truly one of the best places we have ever stayed in. The location, weather and staff made it for us! We stayed in a pool villa which is a must. The staff could not have been more helpful and kind to us! Nothing was a problem to them. Special thanks to our butler Pu who treated us like royalty. I could not fault the staff at all! First class service! I have never written a review before but this place deserves it! It is very much a couples retreat so do not expect a lively time. If relaxation is what you want then go for it here! I have read reviews mentioning Mosquitos etc. Yes they are a problem but no more than you would expect. The villa has special insense that is lit for you, insect repellant and nets that are lowered at sundown. They even "smoke" out the bugs every afternoon to help get rid of them!
The weather in April is very warm and humid so be prepared for temps of around 32 degrees. The resort is well laid out and the food is amazing! We had breakfast included which I would recommend. It was great.
My wife and I will definitely be coming back to Six Senses! Thank you again to all the staff for making our stay so memorable.

Room Tip: Ensure you get a pool villa! Also if it is your honeymoon mention that!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sam S
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Dear Sam and Sarah,
Thank you for taking your time to forward your comments to trip advisor, it was a real pleasure looking after you both, so happy to hear that we exceeded your expectation, and that you had a wonderful honeymoon at Six Senses. I will pass on your nice remarks to Pu your butler and to or Executive Chef in regards to the food which you truly enjoyed. We certainly hope that you will return to Samui in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

So after staying at Anantara Kihavah in the Maldives, we decided on six senses in te private pool villa suite in samui because of the reviews calling it best in samui, luxury etc. the minute we arrived we realised it was wrong. If you are after a Eco friendly, insect and lizard infested old fashioned, room this is it. If your after 5 star luxury, privacy and classy new rooms look somewhere else.
The room
Had lizards and Mosquitos in it aswell as cockroaches and bugs. Going to your private pool is a no go zone because of the mosquios. If your after shopping its a good 20 min from chaweng shopping st.the 5 star service we recieve at anantara is proper compared to this. The in room food was late and not hot.every time we requested something it would not be done we would have to call numerous times. Dining was average you will get a much better bigger meal at a nice classy restaraunt in chaweng or fishermans market.dont even think about doing half or full board you will regret it. Overall I'd give it 2 out of 10. Stick to anantara. I'll neve return to this place again. I have listed photos of the dirty room.

• Stayed: March 2012
6  Thank Deren87
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your comments on your pool villa, its of course a very big difference staying at a six senses resort compared to a modern classy Anantara experience, being used to opulent luxery rather than intelligent luxury, as a very young couple I could see this as perhaps the wrong choice for you both.

We provide a very different experience, small animals, trees, and vegetation all around you, yes some do wonder into your shower, this is part of the experience, we are in nature, our villas are not built from bricks and modern materials, like most other modern classy hotels they also do not have outdoor showers etc. Its a shame that travellers unacquainted with a certain product and it values, then try to insist that all is not good, real time comments on experiences not based on emotion are of a greater value to help us Improve our guest experiences.

With regards to your dining experience, sorry it did not apeal to your palate, most of our guests find the large selection of dishes at dining on the Hill and at dining on the rocks very delicious and praise the quality of our food.

Thank you for pointing out the rust which appears in the Terrazzo, this is very difficult to remove without first replacing the cement, part of our on going maintenance program to ensure this is changed in areas where it may accur.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Best Regards

Reviewed 1 April 2012

My fourth time in Samui now.  1st trip was Napasai, 2nd was the Banyan Tree, 3rd was W, then six senses.
Napasai is great value @ about usd300 a night, Banyan T at usd900 not cheap but my room had a stunning unobstructed seaview, W at usd700 was nice coz it was just steps from the beach.  6 senses at usd500 has its pros & cons.

This stay was for two nights over a weekend.

Pros
* great food at dining on the rocks, we had the tasting menu "experience" with wine pairing & it was very very good, probably the best fine dining I've had ever in Samui and definitely world class.  I was catching up with old friends visiting from LA, we ended up eating for 4 hours as both the setting & the food were great, & no mossies over dinner!  Food at the other restautant Dining on the Hill was also delicious
* a quick 15 min ride from the airport, I like the way 6 Senses always sends a driver plus a friendly smiling English speaking front desk staff to pick you up
* an eco hotel that walks the walk ie no plastic, no bottled water etc.  In general I love the 6 senses hotels and the S.L.O.W. LIFE philosophy
* nice facilities: enjoyed being in the middle of all the lush vegetation, nice public infinity pool area, enjoyed the beach bar decks, & the multi level spa where I had a 2 hour massage which was reliably good

Cons
* this is my 5th six senses property, vs the others: gorgeous ConDao, wellness haven Phuket Naka island (sadly no longer under 6s) the divine Soneva Kiri, fabulous Oman, this time my room (hideaway villa 64) was the smallest & felt a bit  claustrophobic, though I did have a partial seaview but it was blocked by the villa in front & the vegetation.   6S Oman, Kiri and ConDao were all stunning, 6s Samui is "nice" but that's really it.  And this had nothing to do with room category, I've always booked the cheapest 6 senses room possible at the other 6s properties.
* there were a lot of small dead bugs on my bed
* wifi only in room only but not in restaurant or pool area
* my butler never introduced himself. I think the same butler that worked for my two friends was assigned to me.  But like I said, he never spoke to me so I was not sure if he was my butler.
* main pool is immediately below the flight path to Samui airport and it was loud enough that we could not hear each other whenever one passed by

In sum a decent choice for Samui worth trying out but would recommend other Samui hotels for first time visitors to Samui.

• Stayed: April 2012
6  Thank Anilegna
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This month March 2012, my daughter and myself stayed in Villa 14 in Six Senses , Samui just to relax and do absolutely nothing. ~This resort fulfilled all our expectations. The pool and the seaview were magnificent. Our butler was so helpful to our every whim. All the people we met were delightful. Everywhere was spotless, even the pathways were clean, loved the 'bus stops' with the little yellow cushions and the weather, well sunshine all round, every day, who could ask for anything more. The displays of food were out of this world and so varied, you could not fail to be pleased to stay in this beautiful spot on the map.

Room Tip: Do thorough checks on the internet before booking.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Marion H
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks on our products and services, we are so happy you had such an enjoyable stay. We will pass on your comments to our executive chef and your butler, who enjoyed looking after you throughout your stay.

We do hope we will have the opportunity to take care of you once again, in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Fantastic spa hotel, where you get your own cabin. We chose one of the better cabins, of 140 m2, with its own swimming pool, spa, outdoor private terrace and 2 bathrooms, one of them located outside in a private atrium.

All in all, a very aesthetically consistent design, made of nature’s own materials.

You go here if you, like us, love getting massages, as the place has more than 40 types of massages. It is not cheap getting a massage at Sila Evason, but it is an experience that makes you forget time and place.

The place has several restaurants, of which the most well-known is Dining on the rocks, where you are sitting almost in darkness over a mountainside, enjoying the view of the sunset across the ocean.

The place also has fantastic service, its own private beach, and an enormous joint swimming pool.

Every evening, the bar manager (who is Danish) creates a theme night where special drinks are paramount.

5 stars and our strongest recommendation

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank fublife

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your remarks, we are very pleased to see we exceeded your expectations. We have passed on your nice comments to your butler, and our executive chef in regards to the nice foods which you enjoyed during your stay.

We do hope we will have the opportunity to take care of once again in the not to distant future

Reviewed 27 March 2012

this is not 5 star luxury. an old property and showing its age. breakfast repetitive and boring, not really appealing. uncovered food with lots of flies. pool room very nice, clean and tidy. all staff lovely, which is the only really positive.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joco48
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2012

Dear Guests,
Thank you for your comments, let me just advise you and our readers of the following, we do change the Hot Breakfast Specials, Fruits, Pastries and Juices every day, one of the resorts most tresured feature is our breakfast. In reagrds to the resort itself, this year we have invested a great deal in major refurbishments, perhaps the unique nature of the resort is not what one was expecting, i consider ourselves very special, contanstanly providing a great experience for our travellers.
Best Regards

Reviewed 22 March 2012

We stayed at the Six Senses as part of our honeymoon in February and it definitely lived up to our expectations. We arrived during one of the weekly management cocktail evenings, just in time to see the sunset over the infinity pool with a Mai Tai! Our villa was number 19 on the sunset side. A great size and spotlessly clean we had our own pool which was a real treat during a hard days sunbathing! Our butler was Koi who couldn't do enough for us. She gave some great advice on trips all of which I would recommend. We went sea kayaking over to the closest island with a picnic lunch, hired a car to explore Samui and on the Friday took the shuttle bus to the Fishermans Village nearby for drinks on the beach and a look round the weekly market. I also attended one of the free yoga sessions run by the spa which was a great way to start the day.
The main restaurant was good and there was a great selection at breakfast. Dinning on the Rocks, although expensive, was fabulous and not to be missed. Theres a cocktail hour at the beach everyday with 2 for 1 on selected drinks. The beach itself is lovely and the water is clear. The infinity pool however is the real star with stunning views.
We were worried about mosquitoes after reading other reviews. I'm not sure if we just got lucky but we weren't bothered by them at all! We did use repellents and I'm usually the first to be bit but they must have worked. We didn't even see very many.
I could go on but all in all we had a fabulous time here. The staff are amazing and so friendly, stunning rooms and scenery and great food. Yes it is a little on the expensive side and you can't just walk out of the resort in the evening but the seclusion is part of the charm and we loved it!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2012

Dear Guests,

We are so pleased to see that we exceeded your expectations, I have passed on your wonderful comments to Khun Koi butler and our chef regarding the great breakfast. We do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future, to celebrate your first wedding anniversary.

David Ashworth

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
6 mi away
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
The Ritz-Carlton, Koh Samui
The Ritz-Carlton, Koh Samui
#181 of 319 in Ko Samui

Been to Six Senses Samui? Share your experiences!