“Not quite 5 Star”

Ranked #14 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Not quite 5 Star”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I booked the Six Senses Samui as the relaxing leg of my wife's 50th birthday celebration, and whilst I found the vast majority of our stay highly enjoyable I cant quite give the resort the highest rating. I thought the staff were fantastic, very friendly and couldn't do enough for you ( special mention to Pu our butler ). Every meal taken or trip booked was handled with the utmost courtesy and we were made to feel genuinely welcome. I guess at the price that should be taken for granted but I have been to many 5 star resorts where that is not the case.Our ocean view pool villa was set in stunning grounds, very private with beautiful views ( number 14 if i remember rightly ). At first I found the outside shower area a bit of a heat/mosquito worry but you soon buy into the idea of being closer to nature ! Air con is a massive necessity , but it is pretty noisy which is a bit of a shame as it cuts out the sounds of the natural surroundings.The main eating area is dining on the hill....fantastic views, great service , but and here is one of the reasons I cant give it 5 stars, there were a lot of fly's around the breakfast buffet. I don't know if it was because June is the start of the rainy season, but it was certainly off putting. We dined on one of our first nights at dining on the rocks, what a spectacular location for a restaurant, we had the tasting menu which is not cheap. The food whilst excellent was not quite top of the range given the price, and my wife actually fell ill the next day, she thinks from the soft shell crab...although could have been a combo of jet-lag and the heat..I was fine ! I thought the beach was average at best, but to be honest this was more than made up for by the superb infinity pool where we spent most of our days. Short taxi rides to Fishermans Village and Chaweng beach were no trouble at all and an enjoyable experience as was the car we hired to take us to visit the main temples and a spot of elephant riding ( 4 hours in total and well worth it ). We made good use of the spa and enjoyed all the massage/treatments we had, I would really recommend an air-conditioned reception area though. To sum up, you have to buy into the six senses concept of luxury with eco awareness thrown in, if you want a disney style more sanitised experience of Thailand its probably not for you, but embrace the relaxed more naturalistic atmosphere and you will have a wonderful time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Andyash61,
Thank you for your candid and helpful remarks on a recent visit to Six Senses Koh Samui. We are very happy to see that you had such a wonderful time with us, especially enjoying the service, spa, food and general ambiance of the resort including the great views. I have also passed on your comments to my Executive Chef and Khun Pu your guest experience maker. With regards to the small fruit fly's they are active during the raining periods, but to prevent them getting onto the fruits we now cover with small nets. The air-conditioning can be noticeable especially if you live without it at home, it can take a little while to get used to it. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Samui or another Six Senses in the not to distant future. In the meantime if I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to contact me directly on gm-samui@sixsenses.com
David Ashworth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I have mixed feelings about this resort. In many ways it is fantastic. The location is beautiful, it feels quite private and secluded however busier places such as Chaweng and Fisherman's village are just a short taxi ride away. The staff are mainly very friendly and cannot do enough for you. However, I couldn't stop thinking there was something missing from making our time at the Six Senses Samui a memorable stay. It is no Four Seasons, that's for sure.

The resort certainly lacked atmosphere, but I understand June is in the low season in Koh Samui. There were very few people in the restaurants at breakfast and dinner. The food in the resort was nice but not outstanding and I was extremely put off by a lot of the breakfast food because it was covered in flies!

Our villa was very nice, we did not upgrade to a pool villa, we did think about it but I'm glad we didn't because the main pool is beautiful and I think we would have spent our time here anyway. The air conditioning in our villa was very noisy though but was too hot to sleep without it.

The beach at the resort is not outstanding and we didn't spend any time here.

A few things annoyed me during our stay; it was happy hour from 3-5pm at the pool and a seating area above the pool, this meant that certain cocktails were buy one get one free. However, this offer was not on at the bar which was a few steps above these when all of these areas were near enough empty! So surely it wouldn't matter where I sat to drink the cocktails!

The overall feel of the resort has a 'rustic' feel, there is lots of wooden decking that looks very worn. The resort is set on a hillside so lots of steps and steep hills.

I used the spa on three occasions, it was nice, but again not outstanding. In my opinion it is not so much a spa but more treatment rooms dotted around so doesn't have that 'spa' feel. However the therapists were very friendly and treatments good.

These may seem like minor things and I am finding hard to put a finger on it. We had a lovely time at the Six Senses but it was just missing that special something. I would not return and when considering the price compared to other hotels and would not recommend this resort to friends and family.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica V
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Jessica V,
Thank you for your candid remarks on a recent visit to Six Senses Koh Samui. We are very happy that you enjoyed the friendly service, these and all of your experiences I have shared with my team. With regards to the atmosphere this is of course our low season period, so our dining room, and public areas will be quiet, which a lot of our clients enjoy, as they come here especially for that.
Nice to see that you enjoyed the food, unfortunately the tiny fruit flies come out especially after the rains, its a good comment and we will place a little net over the fruits to ensure they are kept out.

With regards to the beach, unfortunately Koh Samui is not famous for white powdery sand, our beach along with other beaches has a more rougher textured sand, not what everbody expects when coming to Samui including yourselves, but thats what nature provided us with.

Very good commment regarding the happy hour, I will instruct my Bar Manager to offer the same promotions at the main Bar. With regards to the steps etc, the resort as been built on a hilly peninsula so you are required to walk a little, this adds to its charm and provides wonderfull sea views from each of the villas. The spa treatment rooms are located away from each other to offer privacy and tranquility, just what the client is looking for, bunched together in a more commercial manner may not offer the same experience. i would like to thank you for this valuable feedback and should you wish to discuss any of the points further do not hesitate to contact me directly on gm-samui@sixsenses.com
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

My husband I went to Six Senses, Koh Samui, for our honeymoon and were bitterly disappointed. We have travelled six times before to Thailand and have never got food poisoning and we got food poisoning from the lunch and dinner menu on two separate occasions at Six Senses. The food was not fresh, cold in the middle, extremely overpriced and not authentic at all.

The staff were very apologetic and helpful and gave us medications but for the price we paid to stay there and to eat, it was unacceptable.

Additionally, without being asked (trying to be helpful) the staff booked us into our flights to BKK and Sydney and booked us separately, so we couldn't sit together!

The location is beautiful but there it is very remote and hard to get anywhere.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Dissappointed278,
Thank you for your feedback from a visit back in January 2014 to Six Senses Koh Samui, the team is very sorry of course that such circumstances spoilt your holiday experience with us. But for reference its important to tell our readers that without professional medical advice from a qualified physician or laboratory report it difficult to determine what was the cause of the stomach upset, the resort was 90% full at the time so such incidents would affect many others and not be so isolated as in this case, I hope you understand, but without full medical details from a accredited hospital here on Koh Samui it would therefore be difficult to determine the exact cause.

With regards to your Bangkok/Sydney flight seating arrangements, we as resort operators are not allowed to make seat reservations for our clients on International sectors with International Carriers, we can only make seat confirmations and arrangments on local internal flights related to Bangkok Airways, I have discussed this with my team and confirmed the same.

Main tourist locations such as Fishermans Village Bo Phut, and Chaweng are only 10 minutes away from the resort by Taxi, and easy to get too, such information is also availble on tourist websites advising distances from key locations including Six Senses Resort.

If you would like to discuss these and other matters further please do not hesitate to contact me directly on gm-samui@sixsenses.com
Leicester, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed here with my wife on the last leg of our honeymoon. It was supposed to be a week of complete luxury and relaxation, however the resort really didn't live up to our expectations. The biggest problem was the villa, which had a semi outdoor bathroom that was as hot and humid as being outdoors. This meant that the second you came out of the shower you were sweating buckets. The external doors into the villa had huge gaps around the edges (so big that I could fit an iPad through them) which meant that all the mosquitos could get in (and there are LOTS of mosquitos here) and the hot humid air could creep in too. As a result of this we had to keep the air con on throughout the night, which was extremely loud and dripped huge puddles onto the floor below. This meant that we didn't have a single good nights sleep during our 7 day stay here. Other than this the villas were very nice, a little tired though as the decking definitely needed a coat of paint if not replacing. The private pools were nice too, although they are all lined with what can only be described as sand paper, which meant you had to be really careful not to graze your skin against it.
The staff here were really nice, polite and could't do enough to help us. In fact, one of the managers was mortified when he learned that we weren't having a great time here, and moved us to a nicer room which was much more acceptable but still not what I would expect from this type of hotel. The food at dining on the hill was very nice, and the food at dining on the rocks was incredible and well worth the hefty prices.
Whilst we liked the idea of an "eco resort" and have stayed in similar resorts elsewhere, for the price we paid we didn't feel like we got good value for money. If you like corporate style hotels such as the Conrad group (which we do) then this probably isn't the place for you. However, if you like something a bit different and are at one with nature, then you'll probably have an amazing time here, it just wasn't for us.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grandebucko
SixSensesSamui, General Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Grandebucko,
Thank you for your candid remarks on a recent visit to Six Senses Koh Samui. My team and I were very dissapointed to see that you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. With regards to the small gaps these are created by the hot and humid conditions as the wood breathes, expanding and contracting continually, but we are working on solutions that will prevent this from happening, so issues of condensation will not accur as in your case. The natural pool surfaces can be slightly abrasive but we very rarely have any adverse feedback due to its condition, but still in this case I will pass on your remarks to my maintanance team. Thank you for your nice remarks on our food quality these I have shared with my Chef and his team. Overall I believe like you mentioned that our luxury intelligent approach did not meet with your expectation and that a more modern style product would have fit your requirements in this case. Should you wish to discuss any of theses matters further do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm-samui@sixsenses.com
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife and I spent our honeymoon at Six Senses Samui back in May, and we miss the place so much we are already talking about returning.

Arriving at the hotel reception we were greeted with what must be one of the most amazing views in SE Asia. After being introduced to our lovely Guest Experience Manager we were shown to our villa, which was tranquil, well designed and had an almost uninterrupted view of the sea. The villas, and the hotel itself are constructed mainly from natural materials, and in places where modern construction is necessaries they have taken great pains to conceal it with bamboo etc. It all adds to the experience of being hidden away in forest surroundings.

The hotel occupies an entire peninsula of NW Samui, meaning that it has the feeling of an island, somewhat remote from the rest of Samui. This was one of the best aspects of the resort, as one can watch the sun rise while enjoying an early morning swim on the beach, then in the evening, walk across the peninsula, past Dining on the Hill at the top, to the pool side to watch the sun set. The villas, reception area, restaurants and bars are linked by a circular road that runs around the top of the 'island' along which there are a number of little seating areas with telephone links to reception, where one can arrange a member of staff to collect you in a golf buggy. This service is also available to and from the villas, and is great for getting about on hot evenings after a tiring day visiting the sights of Samui.

The staff are all attentive and friendly, yet are relaxed and genuinely seem to enjoy their work. Our guest experience managers were enthusiastic and helpful - going to great lengths to find items we needed and to arrange everything for us.

Though we had intended to try and eat out in as many different places as possible, we ended up eating in the hotel almost every night. The main reason was that we were unable to find Thai food outside the resort that was anything like as good as that found within. It was probably the best Thai food we'd ever eaten, to the extent that we didn't even try any of the Western food on offer for lunch or dinner.

All in all it was a wonderful experience, and one that I suspect will be hard to better elsewhere.

Looking through the other reviews. I'm surprised to see comments regarding the state of repair of the hotel. I found it to be very well cared for. There were a few areas in our room that looked less than brand new - for instance the floor and wall where condensation from the air-con unit had dripped - however one has to keep in mind that the villas are built from natural materials and are situated in quite a wild environment. It is impossible to keep structures spotless in such conditions. If you want spotless, brand new surroundings, go and stay in a 40 storey hotel in Singapore!

The only negatives were things that were out of the hotel's control. Mainly the state of the area surrounding the airport, and to a lesser extent the roads leading to the hotel - it wouldn't be that difficult for the government of Samui to employ a few people for a few days to clean the rubbish off the roads would it?

There was also some quite significant building work taking place across the beach from the resort, though they never worked early or late, so it wasn't really a problem to us, and one can't blame the hotel for that.

It's just nit-picking really, and any negatives are so hugely outweighed by the positives of this resort, that it's barely worth mentioning them.

Room Tip: The villas are arranged in such a way that it's difficult to distinguish a good one or a bad one...
1 Thank TheBozzBozz
SixSensesSamui, Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear BozzBozz

Thank you for a very well written review. As a hotelier it's great to see such a balanced & well written review such as yours and you will never know how much this means to us. You are quite right that our location and concept is unique but we also except that it's not for everyone.

It took nothing less than an engineering miracle to build this resort and 9 year on it has not been copied yet due to the technical difficulties we encountered in building this amazing resort.

As you rightly pointed out if you are looking for a unique Thai experience then this is the place for you but if you are into all mod cons and shiny tiles then this is definitely not for you.

We salute you bozzbozz and would love to have you back sir.

Dawid Koegeleberg
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed here for 5 days after a busy week working in Singapore. We knew it would be lovely, but it was far better than expected. The service was discreet yet attentive and very personal. They even remembered how we liked our coffee each morning. The villas and the infinity pool were unsurpassable. We have been to some amazing hotels around the world, but we felt happier here than virtually anywhere. It was a lovely experience. The food at the restaurant on the rock was really memorable. The staff were without exception delightful, happy and couldn't do enough to help. It was peaceful, romantic and a true escape in the most beautifully designed resort. We were really upset to leave.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
SixSensesSamui, Manager at Six Senses Samui, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Rachel
Thank you for your lovely review and we are delighted that you had such a great time. It's clear from your review that we ticked all the boxes and we would be delighted to welcome you back again one day soon. Don't hesitate to contact me personally at the resort if we could help with any travel plans or special requests you might have.
Dawid Koegelenberg
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

On our very first night at the Six Senses Samui, we were working out how quickly we could come back...it's that good. This was the 3rd stop on our honeymoon and we stayed for 4 nights in a sea view hideaway villa. The villa wasn't huge, but they have thought of everything to make your stay perfect...umbrellas by the door in case of rain, raincoats in the bathroom, the ability to choose a 2 hour timeslot for maid service, choice of essential oil for your pillow, a selection of glassware hidden away in case you use the minibar, beach bag in the closet....it just made everything so easy. Our villa had floor to ceiling windows looking out to the stunning ocean view, so good that it would be a crime to ever close the blinds. The bathroom was large with a sunken bath and outdoor shower, and we had a large decked area downstairs with loungers, benches and a table for dining, again looking out to sea.

The resort itself is large, yet each villa is well spaced and feels very private, and there is a buggy service on a continual loop to take you to each area if you don't want to walk.

Food was excellent, so much so that we only dined out once (and regretted it as it wasn't a patch on the hotel). Breakfast is vast and covers all the bases - both thai and western. Evening meals at DIning on the Hill were authentic and good value for a hotel of this kind. Cocktails at Drinks on the Hill were excellent, as was the service.

On arrival you are assigned your own butler for the duration of your stay, ours was Song and she went out of her way to make sure everything about our stay was perfect and we found it handy to have a point of contact for any questions - ranging from how to make the air con work to re-arranging spa appointments.

The spa is out of this world, with each treatment room having a view out to sea. I had only planned to go once and ended up in there every day. Yes. you can have a far far cheaper massage outside the resort, but you certainly wouldn't get the same experience.

One of the highlights of our stay was our private cooking class with chef Pakob. She was an absolute star and gave us lots of insight into thai cuisine, and helped us cook up 3 amazing dishes. She is a credit to the hotel.

The pool - quite simply the most stunning I have ever seen, even in brochures. We were tempted on arrival to upgrade to a pool villa, we were advised to go and have a look at the pool before deciding. As soon as we saw it we knew there was no point upgrading as a tiny plunge pool just couldn't compare.

Location is fairly remote, with a small fishing village around 10 mins drive away. The hotel have their own taxi service, cost for this was around the same as you would pay for the island taxis.

We left to go to a hotel on Koh Phangan which had a much higher rating on tripadvisor than six senses and where we had the best room in the resort, and we longed to be back at the Six Senses. Yes there are a few things that they could do differently - air con in the bathroom for one, but all are minor and nothing that would stop me going back.

A great hotel, I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view room
Dear Sarah

Thank you for your fantastic elaborate review and it's clear that you had a brilliant time. We have informed Khun Song & Pakob of your great feedback and it was well received. You are quite right that our infinity pool is by far the best on the island and one of the best in the country and not to be missed. Our remote location (15 min) away from the noise and mas tourism is part of our charm and we are delighted that you did not feel this was an issue. We are really happy that we provided the perfect holiday spot for you and we are looking forward to welcoming you back here in the near future .

Dawid Koegelenberg
Resort Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
Poppies Samui
Poppies Samui
#1 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Six Senses Samui? Share your experiences!