We stayed one week at Zazen. It has been a positive and negative experience.
The restaurant, the SPA and the Garden looks terrific. The garden was such a beauty with so many lights and decoration at night. Stunning garden!
The view from the Restaurant was really great, beautiful view and relaxing.
The breakfast was probably the best we have had in years, excellent and you have a lot to chose from including home made croissant.
The pool is nice however they keep on playing music all day long, we wanted to hear the sea, the birds, the wind instead. And space around the pool is limited. Some people will take a lot of space. even if they do not use the chairs or madrass.
The quality and taste of the food was very irregular, depending on what choice you have made. It was sometimes very good (the discovery menus are recommended and most a la carte dishes), but it could also be very disapointing (avoid the expensive lobster/seafood menu and "The Best of Samui").
The room looks nice, it is spacy, the beds and pillows at excellent, very comfortable.
However the bathroom was a big problem as it is outside, surrounded by walls. This means that it is very hot and you get sweaty within less 5 minutes after taking a shower, which is very unpleasant. And of course you have lots of mosquitos in a place where you are usually moving around naked. Worst was when you need to go to the toilet at night, you don't want to have to spray all around, rush out and get back in there 5 min later.
It is not comfortable to take a shower and get sweaty again within 5 minutes afterwards, unless you move fast to the bedroom. And then we have the problems with the mosquitos.
The view from our bedroom, facing the bed was terrible (room 7 I think we had). There was a very small area that is being used as a storage area, and hardly no vegetation to hide this mess. It is certainly not what we would expect from a resort that did so well in terms of decoration and planning of other areas. A big contrast!
Then we have the problem with the quality of the sea which was a big problem for us. After 2 days we decided only to bathe in the pool instead. Many places have suffered heavily from tourism, thus the sea is polluted in many places. Boh Put was no exception. Very close by the beachside (around the corner) there is a very dirty river look alike that pours into the sea at high tide.
Once you have seen this, you want to stay away. I got some skin problems and hitching after a couple of days. Hopefully the pharmacy is very close distance.
For this reason only we would never go back to Zazen. Usually the place we travel to have clear and clean water. I love to swim but the pool is too small if you want to swim 45 minutes or so.
We also had some problems with the service at the restaurant , which was irregular. If we'd ask for 2 tea bags in the pot, we'd get one and we had to ask again. Every morning we clearly mentionned that we did not want to have any potatoes with the scrambled eggs. But every day it came with the potatoes, despite the fact that the staff speaks english.
Summary: if you very much enjoy to spend the day around the pool or if you don't mind bathing and swimming into polluted sea (visibility was less then 30 centimeters) this could be a wonderful place for you to stay. The view is wonderful, it is hot and warm and there is some very good food if the make the right choice. Otherwise skip it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Zazen is a stylish true Boutique Resort located on the beautiful Bophut Beach. Perfect for a relaxing holiday and a romantic honeymoon. Zazen offers 26 stylish villas, and 2 of the most popular restaurants on the island with traditional Thai cuisine and fine French / Mediterranean dining. Le Spa Zen will help you find the deepest levels of relaxation. Welcome to Zazen! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Southall Travel, Booking.com, Ebookers, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Zazen Boutique Hotel Bophut
- Zazen Boutique Resort And Spa
- Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa Ko Samui/Bophut