“Fantastic!”

Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 184 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed here for 6 nights and enjoyed every minute of it! Zazen has got to be one of my favourite hotels! It's so atmospheric, romantic and full of interesting artefacts to discover around the grounds.

We spent the first night in a garden deluxe room and the rest of the time in a garden villa, both were fantastic, but I preferred the garden villa as it was larger and more private. The decor and furnishings in the rooms were opulent and tasteful. The bathrooms were unique, didn't really suffer from a mossie problem, just remember to keep the bathroom doors closed!

The breakfasts were excellent, lots of choice and lovely food. In the evening the bar and restaurant had a fantastic ambience. Dined there several times and the food and service were very good. The wine list was extremely pricey, but this seems to be an issue in Koh Samui generally.

I highly recommend the Zazen cookery course, I was lucky enough to have a class to myself, learned a lot from the chef and got to eat the food I had cooked!

The hotel has a lovely Spa & gift boutique. The swimming pool is very nice although rather small. Guests were periodically offered complimentary fruit or a soft drink on the beach and around the poolside which was a nice touch.

I loved Zazen and would love to return, but unfortunately I wasn't that impressed with Koh Samui, it's been spoiled by tourism and there are so many more beautiful places to visit.

Room Tip: The garden villas are fabulous, I would prefer this to a beachfront villa as it is more private and...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Adrien G, Resident Manager at Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear valued Guests,

Thank you so much for the amazing review on TripAdvisor.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your holiday with us.

Our Thai cooking classes is indeed appreciated by our guests, as Chef Pla and Chef Ju take pride in sharing their knowledge and love for Thai food.

We are sad that you did not like Samui in general, although it is true that it gets very crowded in August and over New Year.

Again, thank you for your feeback, hoping you will visit us again.

Sunny regards and Happy New Year.

Zazen Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,354)

Reviewed 31 December 2013

This is a true boutique Hotel and is set in very pretty grounds. My ranking of 3 is based on my experience which was far from perfect. We had a beachfront bungalow. The bungalows are really right on the beach and you hear the crashing waves at night and in the morning which is nice. The main troubles for me were limited to the room. Located as the first cabin on the beach meant that eveyone in the Hotel passed by our front door to enter the beach area, and therefore there was no privacy at all. The bed is perched on a 3ft high plinth with access my a small stair at the end. The mattress is resting on the plinth. This means that to get out of bed, you have to stand up and navigate the passage which is not as easy at it may seem. The concept is obviously to enable guests to see out to sea, but with the lack of privacy, the blinds were closed, so no need. I am used to bed exit by putting my legs on the floor from the bed and then standing. I have been doing it like that for 55 years. I would need to attend regular hot yoga to be able to get out of this bed with ease. The other major issue is the mosquito problem. The bathroom design is open with a significant open area allowing insects free passage beetween inside and outside. Despite the Hotels attempts to keep the mosquitos down with burning repellants and plug ins, etc', we had loads of mosquitos in the room and the bathroom. Every night we went around on our ritual bug kill, but still suffered many bites. This is a major issue for me with so much dengue fever around, and is totally unnescessary. It is an uneeded design feature, creating a hot bathroom filled with insects. Other elements of the Hotel OK, breakfast is average with little variety. There is a cooked breakfast available, but no bacon was available on the day I asked for it..! That was dissapooiunting, but paled into insignificance compared to the bed entry expedition and the bug kill issues. We will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: For the beach bungalow, book 4 or 5. We were in 1 and there is too much beach traffic. Bring plenty...
1  Thank AndySilverfox7

Dear Andy,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback on TripAdvisor.
We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your experience in Zazen.

It is true that our Beachfront rooms offer less privacy than our Garden Villas. However the main feature is to be directly facing the ocean and the beach, which is open to our other guests.
We do understand your comments in regards to the bedding. It may be difficult for elderly guests to get out of bed as the mattress rests directly on the floor. However we do offer upon request to higher the bed. Moreover, as this issue become more recurrent, we do have in mind to modify the layout of the rooms in order to offer more convenience to our guests.

Please note that inspects and mosquitoes are unfortunately part of the Tropical island experience. On the other hand, we do our utmost to reduce this problem by displaying mosquito coils around the rooms, providing every unit with mosquito repellent devices and conducting weekly heavy-duty pest control. We as well offer the option to have a mosquito net installed above the bed for guests more sensitive to mosquito bites.

We are very sorry about your poor breakfast experience and your comments have been taken into account for immediate action to avoid this problem occurring in the future.

Once more, we are very sorry not to have been up to your expectations, and let us know should you come back to Samui in order to further discuss your disappointment.

Happy New Year from all the team,

Sunny regards

Adrien

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Just stayed six nights at Zazen and was not disappointed. We arrived via our transfer from the airport with fresh water, cold lemon grass face towels and a very nice van ride in comfort and of course the best thing - Thai hospitality. Upon arrival to this boutique hotel we were greeted at an open air reception desk - served another fresh towel and a refreshing fruit drink. You can hardly beat that - except then - there is the 'Zen' factor - with the koi pound and the lush vegetation that take you on into the resort and it's beautiful grounds. We were fortunate to stay in one of the beach front suites and again were wowed by the 'Zen' factor of the ocean steps from your door to the 'Zen' of our room with it's open air bathroom. If that isn't enough! The restaurant and staff are wonderful and the atmosphere is so relaxing. They arranged a cocktail party one night which was very nice and then Thai dancers and musicians performed two nights while we were there. If you understand that this is not a 5* property you will be very pleased, because so much of what they do and have is 5*. I am a senior reviewer and it would not be right if I didn't mention the short comings. Having an extensive wine list is nice, but on two nights in a row I was told that they didn't have the wine I ordered and wanted to sub the same wine each night that they serve for house wine ( not impressed ). After having some of the best food with a presentation that was ' Amazing ' - I ordered a tenderloin dish - pretty much sirloin at best. I would still highly recommend Zazen for it's location, property, ambience and of course it's Thai hospitality!

Room Tip: #3 right on the beach - so nice!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Adrien G, Resident Manager at Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear Steve,

We are glad to see that your wife and yourself enjoyed our weekly Management Cocktail as well as our Thai Dance nights.

We would like to apologize regarding the wine order. Indeed, due to recent tax increase on alcoholic beverages in Thailand, our suppliers have held their stocks, which led to some shortages Please note that we have updated our wine list and hope that in a near future you’ll be able to fully enjoy it.

Happy holidays!

Reviewed 16 December 2013

On my recent business visit to Thailand, I had to make a day visit to Ko Samui and I stopped by at the Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa for lunch and during the course of the lunch I was acquainted with a honeymooning couple. The couple floored me by sharing their fantastic experience at the resort with me. I was planning on spending my 10th wedding anniversary at a good resort and after hearing the couples’ encomiums, I have emailed my wife to check out the offers at this resort. My first impression is that I should be here for the occasion. The honeymoon package is designed to suit your every whims and fancy. The resort’s promotion says that it’s Japanese name Zazen means “to find inner peace”. After a reasonably satisfying ten years of married life we would love to recharge our batteries and prepare for the next ten years by spending a week at this great resort.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Monica B

Dear Monica,

We would like to warmly thank you for your great contribution on our page.

We would be more than happy to welcome both of you for this special event and our Team will do its best to accomodate your wishes.

The Zazen Resort is looking forward to meet and celebrate with you.

Happy Holidays,

Reviewed 13 December 2013

We stayed at Zazen for our week long honeymoon recently. Although the weather was against us for water activities outside of the resort, we did catch a few beach sunshine on our last few days there and did a Thai cooking class which was great, as we got to eat what we cooked and sat overlooking the ocean while we ate.

We stayed on the beach front rooms which has the beach just on their doorsteps. Beautiful rooms, with the bathroom being semi outdoors, may not be for everyone, but was a unique and interesting experience for us when taking a shower, especially when you can see the moon shining down on you at night.

We spent most of our days laying on the beach lounges, drinking at their bar, playing chess (provided in our room) and just relaxing. The beach and water is not like other parts of samui, not as white and clear, but the staff was always hard working making sure it was clean everyday. The whole resort was very clean. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner on majority of our days there. The food and service was amazing. During dinner they had thai instrumental music playing and thai dancers. My new hubby thought the dancing guy (he was the only guy among all the girl dancers) was awesome.

This resort is like a little secret, as the main entrance/reception area is tucked further inwards from the main street. It is only about a 20min walk away to Fishermans Village where there are shops and food places if you want to venture out.

The only regret is that we hadn't gone when the weather was better, I think it would have been a even greater experience.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are beautiful as it is on the beach, but it is not as private, as there will be peo...
1  Thank esapele
Adrien G, Resident Manager at Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor.
We are very glad that you enjoyed your honeymoon and we forward your compliments to our chef Stephane Courtin as well as the rest of our Zazen Family who will be certainly proud to read your review.

With our best regards,

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Staid at this property for a week in November in a Beachfront Deluxe room. These rooms are right at the beach, so you get those stunning sunrise / sunset views.

Note the rooms are a tad small and impractical, i.e. no room to put away the bags & limited closet space.

The hotel is perfectly located at the end of a cove, enabling you to walk up and down the beach, and not being disturbed by noise of other hotels at night.

The restaurant offers French/Thai fusion food at high quality & value for money. Don't expect Thai restaurant prices, nor overpriced hotel chain restaurant prices, but rather something in between.

The general service, restaurant, spa, ... it's all top notch. Five star experience together with a more boutique experience.

Other people mentioned mosquitos and jelly fish, but those did not trouble us. I suggest you look at seasonality when visiting an island, and especially an hotel like this with a tropical garden & water everywhere.

In closing, note that Koh Samui is an island with all hotels stacked together near the beaches. Unless you're comfortable with lying at the beach / pool for the duration of your stay, I'd recommend you to rent a scooter or car to do some exploring.

Room Tip: Beachfront Deluxe rooms are right on the beach, with beautiful sunrise/sunset views.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cve01

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Resort, it was a great pleasure to welcome you.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your dining experience with us as well as our spa.
We look forward to welcoming you again very soon at Zazen Restaurant!

With our best regards,

Reviewed 28 November 2013

overall a truly unique experience. the hotel is downright gorgeous and every nook and cranny reveals extreme attention to detail, class, elegance and grace. the restaurant at night is stunning gorgeous and the music was expertly picked. bubbly at breakfast every morning, how can you beat that?

Room Tip: the garden deluxe rooms and close enough by the beach and offer some more privacy than the beachfron...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Adrien G, Resident Manager at Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the online travel community.

We are glad to read that you appreciated the atmosphere of our Resort as well as our Restaurant.
Please let us if you come back, we would be more than happy to welcome you again here at Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa.

Sunny regards,