“Rudest staff in Thailand” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
Stockholm
“Rudest staff in Thailand”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is one of the worst experiences I have had traveling in Asia (which I have done for many years). The restaurant reheated my food, they quoted me a price for having the room half a day extra and when I went to the reception they said they had made a mistake and wanted to charge me another 1000 THB. The receptionist was making the argument that prices on Agoda was not "real" prices. It is suppose to be a great spa but I had a sport massage (2000 THB) and was very clear in explaining that I did not want thai massage and that I wanted a really strong massage. The girl had no idea about muscles or how not to use elbows and kept doing it despite me telling her. When they picked me up at the boat the driver did not offer to carry my bags even though I had to walk about 5 minutes (so strange). I had a really bad earinfection and they recomended a hospital that was not the most professional and did not even inform me that I would have a difficult time getting a taxi back to the hotel. When I was going to use the computer the women said: "if you are staying at the hotel" (like I would have come in from the street and found the computers). Another night the girl in the gift shop kept speaking on the phone and did not even bother asking if I needed some assistance. The open air bathrooms have lots of mosquitos and the door was tricky to close and the rooms are so close and someone is always outside. It is quite isolated, the beach has quite a few fishing boats. It is far to walk to Fisherman's village and very difficult to find taxis. I was on my way to stay at another hotel after arguing with the reception about changing the quoted priced and felt really miserabe due to my bad earinfection (was flying that night and really worried about my ear drums) then I asked to speak to the manager. He was really nice and great and he let me have the room for free the rest of the day, did not have to pay for the reheated dinner. I just think it is strange that the staff was so rude and I think the manager should fire the majority of the staff since many of them have such a bad attitude. I think the high recomendations is due to the fact that many of the people staying here are young couples in love and I'm sure they don't notice anything. I never had this experience before that the majority of the staff is rude at a hotel. It was a horrible experience especially since I was sick. Some of the staff at the bar were nice. I would never stay here again!

Room Tip: The rooms are located really close to one another so I guess you have to ask for a room at the end o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Claudio R, Resident Manager at Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Sofia,

Warm greetings from Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa!

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your experience with us.

It is always disappointing to read that our guest did not enjoy their stay with us and that we as a team could not live up to the expectations of our guests.

It was a pleasure talking with you during your stay about your spa, food and extended stay request experience, please rest assured that have shared your comments with the respective departments and have put measurements into place to improve our shortcomings.

However I am surprised about this review, the entire team did it’s best to accommodate your requests and to give assistance wherever they could, knowing you have been sick and not feeling well. Most of the reviews praise the friendliness and hospitality given by the team. This is the first time that I hear that our drivers are not being helpful; taxis and public transport are easily available on Samui especial at hospitals and if there is not taxi in front of the hospital exit, the hospital receptionist will call one, further more we have our own in-house transport which can be booked for any kind of trip. You have asked to be sent to the closes hospital, the receptionist suggested to you the closet Private International hospital. My apologies about the gift shop experience; additional training will be put in place for the attendants. Indeed our resort is at the quiet end of Bophut bay; with 15-20 minutes walking distance and 5 minutes by car from Fisherman’s village most guests considers this to be close. Again in-house transport is available to send guest to the Fisherman’s village and at the village itself are always a lot of taxis on standby. Part of the resort concept, our bungalows come with open bathroom, being on a tropical island we provide mosquito repelling incense and spry in all rooms, unfortunately you didn't tell us about the bathroom door during your stay, we could have had it taken care of immediately.

However we would hope that you still would consider our resort for any future visits and I would be happy to assist you personally with your bookings.

Best regards,

Claudio

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I would highly recommend Zazen! The staff were incredibly friendly & helpful, the hotel is very beautiful & the food (especially the breakfast) was outstanding.
My brother had his wedding there & it was truly memorable & unique.
Zazen is definitely somewhere I would visit again.

• Stayed July 2014
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Zazen was not my first choice but my sister insisted on it. She was right to stay here. I am a gardener at heart and the ground of this property is like a wet dream. The property is not big, but very well designed using all sorts of lush tropical plants and landscape architecture. I could spend all days just looking at the details and admiring the way it comes together.

We and our child stayed at the garden villa - spacious, well-designed, more zen-modern than traditional Thai. There are 2 issues I have with the room: one is that the AC was so cold but without AC it was too hot to sleep. The other is the semi-open bathroom had a mesh curtain covering the top half of the surrounding walls, which sometimes gaped open to allow bugs in.

There is only one pool at the property but it was fun enough for my child. The property also has a nice beach front. The 2nd day we were there, there was a wedding going on so the hotel offered us a free 4-hour around-the-island tour to visit all the major sightseeing places.

The property is located a short cab ride from Fisherman's Village (200 baht) but one can walk there along the sandy beach in about 30 minutes (unless you have a child like mine, then it takes a hour.) I am on the fence about its location - If it was closer to FV, it would be more convenient, but it would probably lose its magical quality. For magical, it was.

Room Tip: Garden Villa room for sure.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Minnie Y
Claudio R, Resident Manager at Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Minnie,

Thank you for your nice feedback about your stay in Zazen!

We are delighted to see that you enjoyed the surroundings, the landscape architecture as well as our garden villa. It was a pleasure having you with us!

We hope to see you soon in Zazen!

Sunny Regards,

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

The staff here were extremely helpful. its a quiet resort, set in lush gardens right on the beach - more suitable for couples than families, great for a romantic break. Food is great - wine choice good but expensive.

Room Tip: A villa on the beach is well worth it! Villa one is nearest the pool but more people walk past this...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LindaLu272
Dear Linda,

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback about your stay with us!

We are happy to see that you enjoyed your overall stay in Zazen and we will be happy to welcome you a second time!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed at Zazen back in 2010 for our honeymoon in May - amazing resort on the beach, great spa, great food (the best breakfast ever & very exquisite restaurant for dinner). The rooms are very cosy, romantic, big and very clean and nicely decorated. Pool area and the gardens are amazing. One issue only with the air conditioning is directed to the bed, which is quite unpleasant and unhealthy when is very hot and high humidity. Besides this, a truly great experience and would love to go back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Claudio R, Resident Manager at Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Andreia,

It is a pleasure to discover your comment about Zazen! Thank you for taking the time to write a feedback.

We were thrilled to welcome you for your honeymoon and we hope to see you again in Zazen to taste our new buffet breakfast!

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Canarias, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Had my wedding here in May . After a few small problems with the e mails and misunderstanding we finally had a magical wedding day . The food here is by far first class and even if you dont stay at the resort the restaurant is worth a visit ... Its far more expensive then your average restaurant but thats because this is not your average restaurant , its simply first class with its food ... attention to detail on the presentation is amazing . We stayed 3 night s ... small rooms but beautifully decorated and the breakfast buffet was really good with a vast choice . Staff in the bar do not speak or understand that much english so this needs to be worked on more . Accents can be difficult but even so we had difficulty at times . The Spa was amazing ... I would also say how small the pool is but you have a wonderful beach in front so this was not a big issue . The staff always smiled and this is very welcoming in . We will be back . Please go and stay , if not go to eat , its a must while you are in Samui ..

Room Tip: all rooms are decorated well ... the beach front are not so private ...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lisa M
Dear Lisa,

Thank you to for choosing our Resort to organize your wedding! It was a pleasure for us to manage that special day for you. Kuhn Rio and all the wedding team are glad to see that you’re enjoyed your stay with us.

We are delighted also to read that you’re appreciated our restaurant as well as our Spa!

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Best Regards,

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Four friends including me stayed at this wonderful resort for a week - and we didn't want to leave!
The rooms were beautifully decorated, well air conditioned and with outdoor (but slightly covered) bathroom.
Pool area was lovely as was the beach and the surrounding gardens were stunning.
Staff couldn't be more attentive if they tried - food was amazing at breakfast and when we had dinner in the restaurant one night the quality was top notch.

I don't have any bad comments for zazen and would not hesitate to come back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Claudio R, Resident Manager at Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about Zazen! We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your experience with us.We hope you will come back soon to Samui and we would be happy to welcome you again.

Claudio
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Poppies Samui
Poppies Samui
#1 of 104 in Chaweng
Sensimar Koh Samui (Adults Only Resort)
SALA Samui Resort And Spa
SALA Samui Resort And Spa
#1 of 10 in Choeng Mon
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,073 reviews

Been to Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!