“A slice of paradise...”

Ranked #45 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
Hong Kong, China
“A slice of paradise...”
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Conveniently located near the airport, Saboey's resort is situated in Bo Phut.

We stayed in one of their beachfront bungalows which was very comfortable, well decorated, extremely clean and had a plunge pool, shower wet room, tv and DVD.

Outside, you'll find tropical gardens and an infinity pool which overlook the turquoise waters of the ocean.

There is a bar and restaurant which offers authentic Thai cuisine as well as more international dishes.

Overall...the picturesque location, fantastic accommodation, friendly staff and management team really made this a trip to remember and we would certainly recommend this resort.

Thanks again for a wonderful two weeks!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Johno5571

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 February 2014

we stayed here for 3 nights. its really good value for money. Nice spotless rooms, very relaxing atmosphere and good service.
I loved the smoothies they prepared at the poolbar.

Only little downside: the breakfast is very english - a little more selection would have been nice.

2 Thank npapke
Dhahran
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My wife and I were able to relax and unwind amongst such peaceful surroundings and helpful staff. Hotel staff recommended excursions were well chosen and added to our experience of the island. We found that a day on/day off approach to these trips worked for us.
The food proffered by the resort was excellent -especially the Snapper, and there are numerous restaurants along the main road if you want to experience different cuisines ranging from pizza restaurants to bar food. Pharmacies and 7-11's abound for all of the essentials. There are larger shopping outlets such as Tesco's and "The Big C" within 10 minutes drive. These are not just supermarkets but are host to fast food restaurants, clothes shops, electronics shops etc.
Staff involvement from the waitresses to the Hotel manager (Atty) through to General Manager (Jon) was exemplary. Having attention from the GM especially was indicative of the lengths that the hotel staff went to to make our stay memorable. As it was my wife's birthday during our visit, the staff decorated our room while we were out, unbidden! This is a resort for those who want to get away from the rat race and is ideal for couples and families with young children.
During our stay, we watched a beach wedding of a Ukrainian couple at Saboey, which illustrated the dedication of all of the staff (both Managers hands on!) to providing the best experience for their guests.
If you want the "Ibiza experience", go to Chaweng which we visited and counted our blessings that we didn't book there (or go to Ibiza!). This is our first visit to Thailand and it is all that we hoped for - it certainly is "The Land of Smiles" - we shall be returning to Saboey to pick up where we left off!

1 Thank Steve W
Leeds, UK
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The hotel was booked directly, and all emails were answered promptly and politely. The hotel offered an Early Bird Super Saver deal on the rooms, requiring full payment upfront and a copy of my credit card and booking form emailing to them. I also arranged a transfer from the airport to the hotel for which they charged 350THB.
My flight landed around 9:30am and one of the hotel staff was waiting for me for the 10 min drive to the hotel. The hotel is in the middle of the quiet resort of Bangrak on the main road. Entering the reception we were checked in, but because check in was at 2pm the room was unavailable. However we were offered pool towels and use of the pool/sunbeds. Fortunately we'd packed swimwear in the front pockets of our cases, so we retrieved these, left and hotel at reception and hit the pool. The pool area was lovely, with a small infinity pool overlooking the beach and sea, and plenty of sunbeds and deckchairs. Staff from the hotel restaurant made regular rounds to ask if any drinks were required. Eventually, at 2pm I checked with reception and was allowed into the room.
We'd opted for a Deluxe Suite, which was an upstairs room with a fairly large concrete balcony which gave a lovely view of the pool and sea. The room had a polished dark wood floor, wardrobe with 8 hangers, electronic safe, CRT TV (although channels were limited), fridge and a large albeit very firm bed. The bathroom sink was in the bedroom which I always find an unusual arrangement. There was a separate shower room with toilet. My partner's one minor criticism was the lack of a mirror, other than one quite high up over the sink.
The hotel is on the flight path as others mentioned, and there was an early morning flight at 6:15am which woke me up most mornings. Sitting by the pool however, it was interesting to watch the planes; it wasn't constant and not particularly intrusive or distracting.
Breakfast was a small buffet, consisting of bread/toast, cereal, croissant, fruit, juices, tea/coffee, eggs made to order, bacon/ham, rice/noodles, so enough variety for a few days.
In terms of location, the hotel is reasonably central, with a few small cafes nearby. Leaving the hotel onto the main road and turning right takes you to more restaurants, and a girlie bar(!). Just over the road from the hotel is a 7/11 convenience store. Turning left and walking about 10 mins brings you to a small cluster of bars, then more convenience stores, then a local food market. We took a walk along the beach to check out the other beachfront hotels, and the Saboey looked the best by comparison.
The best thing about the hotel was the staff; attentive and polite, demonstrating true Asian hospitality.
I'm not sure I'd return to Bangrak in a hurry as it was a little quiet for my taste, but if I did, this would be the hotel I'd return to. Minor criticisms; as mentioned the lack of a dressing mirror in the room, and it was a bit of a hassle to email credit card copies, so the option of Paypal would be nice to consider. Overall though, it was a lovely hotel.

3 Thank Happynoodleboy_uk
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My husband and I had the good fortune to discover the Saboey through tripadvisor and as a result of the comments booked 10 days there after a busy trip through SE Asia. We had a poolside villa which made me somewhat nervous when I booked it as I thought it might prove to be noisy. Happily, the pool shuts down at a good time and so it was not a problem.
Our villa was clean and spacious with lots of hot water and good wifi. The sun beds around the pool were well maintained, the pool itself clean and the beach in front well tended. The staff are terrific and even if their English skills were not up to translating a request, they found someone who could understand, always with a smile. It was clear that staff were well treated and got along very well.
Breakfast is not a big buffet but is ordered a la carte with plenty of western and Thai options. After staying in large resorts with the never-ending breakfast buffet, this was a welcome change. They were in the process of re-vamping the bar menu when we left which, I think, was a good idea. We were a little disappointed in the restaurant food and found most of the entrees not to our liking but did enjoy some of the lighter fare such as the sate which was tasty and good value. There are a lot of decent restaurants within a short walk and Jon is more than happy to suggest something. We had a lovely meal at Ocean 11 just a walk up the beach, enjoyed some great thin crust pizza at a place across the street and up about a 7 min. walk and had very tasty Indian food at a restaurant not far beyond that. Just ask Jon. In Fisherman's Village we enjoyed the western food at the Seaside Steakhouse.
All in all we highly recommend this resort. The ambience is wonderful, it is a smaller resort ( 20 rooms, I think - right Jon?) and Jon along with the owners are striving to improve things all the time. For my time, money and enjoyment I would far rather stay at the Saboey and go visit the craziness of Chaweng!
Best wishes to all the gang at the Saboey and thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: We liked the villa room we had by the pool. The rooms above the reception do, apparently, get the no...
1 Thank lgs50
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My partner and I had a three night stay here and we were quite disappointed overall. The staff were friendly, the pool and garden area were well maintained, however the breakfast was very average. There was extreme noise, lack of atmosphere and missing personal touches.

When we arrived we were taken to our 'suite' which was no more than a hotel room above the reception area. With extreme noise coming from the busy road and also the building site opposite the hotel, we decided to request a different room or even pay for a villa. We were told that we could only move for one of our three night as a hotel was due to be fully booked. As this was the case we decided to grin and bear it and to make the best out of said situation. Although the room was clean, it clearly had not been updated as much as the Villas. The front door had 2 locks but only the very basic was in use, the cupboards were very musty, there was a thick layer of dust on the balcony stools and there was a large gap between the doorframe and the door making it impossible to deflect any outside noise.
The following morning the manager approached us by the Pool as he was aware we were not happy with the room. We requested for a sealant to be put around the front door, to deplete some of this noise, of which the manager said he would look into that day. Nothing more was said to us and as far as we are aware, nothing was done about this. Either way we should have been informed whether this could or couldn't be done.
We felt like we weren't a priority, maybe due to us staying just three nights, or that we weren't staying in a villa. Even though we would've happily paid if it was available.

The hotel is directly in the flight path to the airport, therefore promoting peace and serenity is slightly patronising if you're trying to relax by the pool, or in your room.

The pool and garden area are beautiful and well maintained, and the beach that you step on to could be your own private beach.

Overall we felt it seemed a lack of effort with personal touches we saw in other hotels possibly due to cost saving. If you're thinking of staying here then spend a little extra and book a villa.

Room Tip: Spend a bit more and book a villa! Don't waste your money on a Suite!
4 Thank Mr-MrsMcEvoy
SaboeyManager, General Manager at Saboey Resort and Villas, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
I would like to thank this guest for their review.
The problem with the door was that it had dropped in it frame and my staff informed me that the guest had commented to them about this.The next morning I informed the guests at breakfast that my staff would fix the door while they were at breakfast,which they did.

I check this myself and spoke to the guests at the pool that we would put a new seal in the door frame if they had one on the island and I was sorry about this.
My staff were unable to replace the seal during the guest stay as they where not available.
I am sorry that the guests feels let down,but my staff and I do take every problem very seriously
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 19 February 2014

A fantastic 10 day holiday was had by myself and my Husband. The General Manager excelled himself in all ways possible as did his hotel manager. The staff were polite, always please to help and they all looked clean tidy and well presented. Compliments to the chef the food was first class. We had the Deluxe suite, it had everything we needed, comfort, suitably chilled with a good working A/C and most importantly impeccably clean and well maintained. The views were awesome with a clean beach front and a good sized pool surrounded by well looked after sun beds tables and ample sun shade. All in all 10/10 for a wonderful experience, we will definitely be going back again

2 Thank Jackie2302