“Idyllic and peaceful!”

Ranked #42 of 186 Hotels in Bophut
Gutersloh, Germany
“Idyllic and peaceful!”
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

From the moment of arrival the staff were on hand to help us book in and settle into our room. Our Room was basic but that's what we paid for. But it was clean and everything worked. The food we had was good. Yes there are aircraft that
Come over. So what noise no longer than a min. Not all night either. You don't really notice them to be honest. All in all the best little 3 star place we have ever stayed in. Value for money. Pool area lovely with idyllic views. Wow!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lang9637

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Firstly, I would just like to say to the previous reviewers, my husband and I stayed at Saboey at the same time they did and yes there was a party next door and it was loud, but it was all over and done with by 12.30am. It was no big deal and we certainly did not expect any sort of refund at all!! Also, planes do fly overhead and yes they do start at 6.00am, I heard them, my husband did not and they are very infrequent through the day and certainly were not "constant" through the day. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Saboey, it was relaxing and as we were lucky enough to stay in a beach villa we had our own sun lounges and beautiful view from our room. The rooms were cleaned to a very high standard every day, the beds were comfy and bathrooms large and very clean. It was our wedding anniversary while we were there and the staff decorated our room for us, a lovely touch....thanks!! The only problem we had with the rooms was it was a bit warm and could do with a ceiling fan, a observation which I did put on our questionnaire form and have since been contacted by the manager to say he was installing a fan upon my suggestion, nice to see that your suggestions are taken into consideration!! The breakfast was more than adequate and the staff, especially young Glee, were very attentive. I take my own green tea with me and she had my cup of hot water ready before I even asked on the second morning, great service!! We had some pool side snacks which were very tasty and reasonably priced and also their Thai set menu was delicious. We also participated in the cooking class and can thoroughly recommend this, it was hands on and we cooked three courses and ate what we cooked, the chef was lovely and their was also a staff member to help with translation. Oil, the barman, was very friendly and we enjoyed many a cocktail in the afternoon when they have their 241 deal. All of the staff were very friendly, some had more grasp of English than others, but they all would smile and say hello. The reception staff were very helpful and the young lady who welcomed us (so sorry I can't remember her name) was a delight. Atth, the front office manager, is delightful!! He is always happy and very polite and more than happy to help in any way he can. This was our first stay on Koh Samui, our first 5 nights was in Fisherman's Village and then over to Saboey for the last 5 and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay on the island. If you would like to relax and enjoy your holiday, Saboey is the place. There are a few restaurants close by and it is a 20 minute walk to The Big Buddha which has a few nice market stalls etc.

Room Tip: If you can afford it the Beach Villas are really worth it, a little more privacy and your own sun lo...
2 Thank geb6
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I was here with my family last september and was very impressed,since we were here,there have been many changes all for the better.
The pool area is now bigger with alot more open space,they have removed some of the trees.We stopped in the same villa type as last year and it now has new bathroom windows and fully retiled with rain shower,all brand new very impressed,It was good to se all the old staff.But also new staff Jip and Oi,but great and fun to talk to.
Happy to see John the manager and Att here.Also many of the staff have new uniforms looks very smart.
Read about aircraft noise in past reviews, seems never been a problem for us,sure you hear them once an hour,but thats about it.
I am now booking for September again this year,do we love it here yes are the staff good yes..
Bad point it is now too hot here haha,but we enjoy that.

Room Tip: suites are big,but have no view,but are cheap,for family with children,ask them about family villas...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Cris W
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed when a loud party was held on the other side of an empty lot adjacent to the resort on our last night. I watched the clock for the promised by staff ending time (12 midnight), hoping that it would indeed end. It was just after 12:30am that the loud party ended and I was finally able to go to sleep. I asked the staff when we might expect the noise to abate and complained later in the evening before finally giving up and retiring to our room just before mid-night.

The resort is in the path of of the airport's take-off patterns. Like clockwork I was awakened daily at 6:00am. There's a constant schedule of flights taking off right above the resort all day long. If you want peace and quiet then I would highly recommend finding a more suitable place.

The staff at breakfast were helpful in preparing our meal just the way we requested. The food service was slow the first night we ate in. The menu was limited. The specials were the same every night. Needless to say we often ate away from the resort.

The rooms were OK. The mattress was hard which is typical for Thailand. A hard mattress can be viewed by Thais as an indication of it being new(er). From a western perspective a hard mattress is just that, hard.

I would recommend spending time looking elsewhere unless you are a hard sleeper and don't mind hard mattresses - my top two issues besides the crazy loud screaming karaoke party that happened our last evening. Not a fun ending knowing that we'd also be hearing the "6am loud airplane flying overhead" wake-up call.

Room Tip: Because of the loud overhead flights all day long there would be no room on site that would be less...
2 Thank donewms
SaboeyManager, General Manager at Saboey Resort and Villas, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
.As always we try to please all our guests and our review speak for themselves .In this case these are the friends of the guest (who posted a nearly identical review two days ago) that had a problem with a staff party from a resort three doors away from our resort which no other guests had a problem with it.. The party started at 7pm and DID finished long before midnight.

These guests also fails to mention the next morning they left the resort with their friends without paying their bill . They were in the same car that nearly ran over my female reception staff when she tried to stop them leaving. My staff contact the tourist police and the guests came back to pay their bill.

The main fact is the guests wanted a full refund for something the resort had no control over and these guests are from the same party and are following their friends threat to write a bad review about the resort, if they did not get a refund, the guests words
london
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay in this lovely hotel. Despite being located very close to the airport, it is not a problem as not many flights come in or go out during the day.

The rooms, in particular the villas, are clean and beautifully decorated.

The hotel is very family orientated and the staff is very friendly.

The manager is looking after you very well and is extremely knowledgeable about the highlights of Koh Samui.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank bpkrumrey
Sugar Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed April 2014. Resort demanded full pre-payment, non-refundable. So I did it. Regret that immensely! For $100+ per night, a traveler expects more. Upkeep of rooms is spotty. The wood floors desperately need re-finishing or replacement.

But here is the worst: On the last night, there was an extremely NOISY party next door at a site rented to parties. Impossible to sleep. Complained to front desk that night and next morning at check out. Even spoke with manager by phone and requested the courtesy of one night stay refund. He refused. Because I had little leverage, I declined to pay my check-out charges (roughly equivalent to 1 night stay), and started to drive off to airport.

The desk clerk ran to the car, banging on it and threatening to call police. I did an immediate U turn to return and pay the bill in full. I have e-mailed the manager to try to arrange an amicable settlement, but he refuses even the smallest token gesture, saying he has video of me almost running over one of his staff and that I “…drove away from the resort without paying your account.” Both are blatant lies.

Even though I told the desk clerk I realize that the NOSIE was not her fault, manager Jonathan Feaver insists that it should be ME to apologize to the clerk, and he still claims that I did not pay my bill. What a way to run a resort! (And run away clients!)

So, while the pictures of Saboey look good (and I will say than Khun Oil, the bartender, is very attentive), I feel compelled to urge travelers to avoid Saboey and seek excellence in Samui elsewhere.

The manager has threatened to accuse me of transgressions and falsehoods, telling me “…you are not the first person in my experience that has tried to get their way with faked bad reviews….”

Hmmmm….. why were there others?????

STAY AWAY FROM SABOEY RESORT!!!!

Room Tip: NO rooms are good at SABOEY, when management service is as bad as it is!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank WhereUg0
SaboeyManager, General Manager at Saboey Resort and Villas, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
This is yet another review from the same party of guests that placed the last two reviews..

His point about how he booked are true, he should know ,he is a TRAVEL AGENT, he booked a non refundable deal which means lower prices and all hotels offer the lower priced non refundable deals with same pre payments deals . A travel agent books these deals every day ,so strange it is now a problem for him??
.It is also strange to have 3 nearly identical reviews from the same guests!!

The guest has a very different version of the night events that we had on CCTV.
He also has a very different version of the email he wrote to me to arrange an amicable settlement !!! .He email was to informed me if we did not give a full refund he would contact his 3000 agents to make sure they did not deal with Saboey resort and place bad reviews (again his words)
At no time have I threaten him with anything, despite him writing to me ,calling my staff ,managers and myself liars. The young girl at reception did not run out of the hotel and bang on the car that was driving away, he DID drive away without paying (he returned later, but the fact is, he DID drive away with out paying ).I asked him if he would like to apologize to the young girl ,as he nearly ran her over, as of course she was very shocked by what had happened , I did not insist anything.
I am proud of my resort, my staff and their professionalism. They give great service ,we do not always get it right, but admit to it when we do not. but in this case I stand 100% behind my staff because of the behavior of this guest

This is a case of a guest giving bad reviews and distorting the truth because he could not threaten my staff and the resort into giving him something.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I will save you the trouble of wondering about whether or not to stay here. DON"T!!! The only reason it got anything positive on this review was because the staff is nice and the breakfast was good, but that is where it ends. The absolute worst part was where the resort is located, at the end of the airport runaway. I'm not kidding. The airplanes were SO loud the windows in our room rattled. This started at 6am on the dot every morning and didn't stop till after 11pm. Then the "property" next door had an outdoor party that went on for hours and even made the babies cry in the next villa. The facilities were probably nice at one point but now they are run down and in need of an update. The curtains are stained and the floor is worn down. Bathroom has mold and the lighting is terrible. I can't believe this place is making it....there are SO many other choices on this island. Wish I had booked elsewhere.

2 Thank fizzy1991
SaboeyManager, General Manager at Saboey Resort and Villas, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
As always we try to please all our guests and our review speak for themselves .In this case the guest had a problem with a staff party from a resort three doors away from our resort which no other guests had a problem with it, so I am not sure what babies he heard. The party started at 7pm and finished long before midnight.

He informed my staff that we should have informed him about the party and my staff informed him it was a once a year party that we knew nothing about ,so of course it was not possible to inform him of something we knew nothing about and was out of our control.

The guest fails to mention the next morning he left the resort without paying his bill as he thought he should get a full refund because of the party. When the female staff at reception tried to stop him he nearly ran over her in his car. My staff contact the tourist police and the guest came back to pay his bill.

He then contact me by email to inform me that he wanted a full refund because of the party. He did not mention anything else and if we failed to give a full refund he would write a bad review.(his words)
The villa that the guest stayed in has a brand new bathroom less that two months ago with new shower unit, tiles ,floor etc and there is no mold anywhere in the bathroom. The bedroom was repainted at the same time .
There is noise from aircraft on about 50% of Koh Samui, this normally lasts about 1 minute every hour, so yes you will hear it, it also starts later than 6 am and finishes earlier than 11pm. The main fact is the guest wanted a full refund for something the resort had no control over.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
The Waterfront
#4 of 10 in Choeng Mon
Prana Resort Nandana
Prana Resort Nandana
#12 of 186 in Bophut

Been to Saboey Resort and Villas? Share your experiences!