The Waterfront
The Lodge(Bophut)
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
1,026 results
All reviewsrobin suefisherman's villageother guestskoh samuiperfect hostsfamily bungalowquiet endwelcome drinkhoneymoon suitehome from homerestaurants and barsthai staffstreet marketbo phutkept spotlesssmall hotelshort stroll
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 March 2011

This was one of our favorite places to stay on our tour of Asia, specifically because of the personal touch from the owners and staff.The location is just perfect- great rooms, quiet beach front, easy access to local Fisherman's Village shopping, a well stocked bar, and one of the best massages I had in all of Thailand. It is a great place to be alone in a hammock with a drink refill on its way, or to visit with other guests at breakfast. The small pool is a place to dip in to cool off from the heat and then relax under the palms. Robin was a great host with a genuine desire to help his guests enjoy their holiday. Isabel and Ken /Canada

Reviewed 23 March 2011

I would not recommend this place. We stayed here 5 days of a 14 day vacation around Thailand. To summarize, I found the staff arrogant and the facility to be aging. There are some convinences but overall you can do better.

It is convenient that they provide transportation to/from the airport. But the person who picked us up was on the phone for two phone calls while driving quite agressively to the hotel. Once we arrived they offered us a free beveraged during check-in. The manager provided us with a very cold reception and was very focused on us paying up front in full. Later that day we needed to use a phone for a local call (the rooms do not have phones) so we used the front desk phone. My friend was scolded by the manager for using the phone for roughly 5 minutes - this made for awkward interactions for the rest of our stay.

The bar/service staff is extremely lazy. They will sit around and make you come to them. I was sitting up at the bar once on my laptop and three of them were just sitting there having a chat in Thai so I had to move away to get some peace. Several other times one of the ladies was chatting up a storm on her cell phone while my frind and I were trying to enjoy a beer.

Breakfast is nothing special, but is included. It does come out very quickly though. You would laugh at the "omlette" - it is a scrambled egg manually shaped in as omlette.

As the other reviews note, the pool is quite small but fine for just getting wet and standing there. The pool was rarely clear of leaves and sticks. The pool furniture is plentiful but aging badly (very lumpy).

Our room backed to a bar across the street. While we were there there was some sort of festival so we expected some noise. But this bar is pretty close to the hotel. It didn't bother us too much but you can hear people talking and enjoying themselves until pretty late at night.

The location is decent. The beach there is no good and the ocean is not swimmable there but you can walk down a ways to do that. It is at the end of the road where the Fishermens Village is - so you can walk to some nightlife and food options. But there are so many other choices closer in...I would suggest another location to you.

7  Thank TravelingJimi
Reviewed 22 March 2011

It would take too long to write why we love it here so much but the excellent reviews are the true ones and they say it all. We have stayed in many 5* hotels in Thailand before staying at the Waterfront but would come back here every time.This time we were looking forward to 10 days to relax after traveling round Australia but unfortunately my husband took ill the day after we arrived and was admitted to hospital until he was fit to fly home. This has always been my worst nightmare being alone so far from home but I couldn't have been better looked after anywhere. Robin, Sue, Michael and all the staff were so supportive always insisting they took me to and from the hospital and when I came back in the evening someone was always there to make sure I had company if I wanted it. As always, we met some very friendly guests who were also very kind.
My husband was overwhelmed by the number of baskets of flowers,presents and visits from the staff in their time off and their cuddles kept me going. They are such kind people and they helped me through this without having to tell and worry our family before we got home.
We were disappointed we didn't have the holiday we were expecting but also very grateful we were staying at the Waterfront. Hopefully we shall be able to make up for it next year

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank linda186394
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Hotel has beach of gravel sand mix. Small tidal estuary creek runs in front of half beach. Some garbage such as plastic bags and bottles along beach front. Water visibility at time of visit was less than half a meter, no snorkeling possible.

Rooms cleaned daily, hot water with on demand electric heaters worked well. Breakfast included was sufficient. Owner was personable and on site.

Room rates were 5500 baht per night. Advertised rates at the full service condo across the street were 10 times less, similar size modern rooms, big screen TV, but no beach. Advertised rates at beach bungalows within 1 km were 5 times less, but a more basic, hut style bungalow, no small swimming pool and landscaped garden as the waterfront has. Budget conscious travelers can thus obtain similar sized modern rooms OR beach front at 5 or 10 times less cost, but not both together. So if one insists on both modern amenities and beachfront and the prices are within budget, this hotel does deliver as advertised.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 March 2011

We stopped at the Waterfront for a week's R&R on the way back from Australia. It was just what we needed - a place to really unwind.

The Waterfront is a comfortable, quiet, beachside hotel with bungalows and two storey units overlooking the beach arranged around a small pool and bar area. The proprietors, Robin and Sue are friendly and welcoming, and their staff charming.

The only downsides are a small pool - good for cooling off and not much else - and a beach of coarse sand with a rather murky (though clean blue) sea. But if you want such facilities, you will pay more and/or have to stay in a large, and impersonal hotel.

The "fishing village" comprises small shops and some very good reasonably priced restaurants, but it has been some time since it has seen a fisherman. Even so, if you must have nightlife, go somewhere else.

All in all, friendly, relaxing and good value.