“Overall very good”

Ranked #16 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
Ekero, Sweden
“Overall very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2009

We stayed here for a week June/July 2009 in the family bungalow. Weather good except for two nights, when it rained so much that it was hard to do the 200m walk to ”downtown” Bophut.

We liked:
- Koh Samui airport
- DVD collection

We did not like:
- Beach
- The boat ride we booked through reception
- Price level in Bophut
- Some of the staff's attitude when Sue looked away

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank nisse_persson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Hebrew first
Cincinnati OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2009

I chose the Waterfront because of what seems like unanimous praise for the property on Tripadvisor. But I was underwhelmed. I really liked the bedroom with its crisp white sheets and decorated liberally with orchids. The British couple that run the place are so friendly and hospitable; I really enjoyed meeting them.

For me, there were a few minor downsides, e.g. the beach in front isn't great for walking on with bare feet, and isn't really meant for swimming, and the bathroom vents only through windows to the outside, so it gets quite warm in there.

But the main thing was an incident when I asked the staff to help me reconfirm a local tour booking (Blue Stars Kayak which I highly recommend). First the staff told me that the phone numbers I had might not work, and asked me if I wanted to cancel the booking and book with another operator (producing some pamphlets for them). Then when I suggested she just give them a try (since they did just email me their numbers to reconfirm with just the day before), she was so reluctant to do it, but (of course) was connected. At the end of the call, I was charged 30 baht per minute, or about $3 for the 3 minute call. I was so surprised, since usually even low budget hotels (even in Thailand) will offer local calls, placed by the receptionist, as a service! And then usually you can pay all of your charges at the end of a stay, but this particular staff asked me every night when she saw me if I wanted to pay my $3 right then and there. This just made me feel uncomfortable, giving the impression that if I wasn't going to book a tour that offered her commission, she was going to get more money from me one way or another. And in general I thought many of the staff weren't as friendly when the hosts weren't around.

If I were to come to Samui, and the village of Bophut, I might consider the Ibis which is further down the beach in a more attractive part of the beach, and also less than half the cost of The Waterfront.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
10 Thank flaii
Robin003, Sue, Co-owner at The Waterfront, responded to this review, 1 July 2009
I am so sorry that, if this guest felt unhappy and hassled, he didn’t make a point of telling us about the telephone problem at the time so we could have done something about it.. We are here most of the time, in fact I was just asked if I were a workaholic! The guest in question is correct. We do not charge for local telephone calls. We do not charge for lots of things, so why a local telephone call was a problem, I cannot imagine. I have tried to find out about it, but to no avail. But if we're not told at the time, what can we do? Instead, this guest has decided to tell the world. Hey ho!

Our staff are NOT trying to make money on trips and tours, I assure you. This service is for the benefit of the guests, not the staff and, quite honestly, I would prefer not to have the trips and tours at all except that we like to help our guests in every possible way.

If going to a chain hotel, half the price, is what this guest liked, then I am very happy for him. If I thought that our hotel would be unfavourably compared in this way, I don’t think I would have even contemplated starting our own. We like to give our guests the sort of service that we, ourselves, would like as guests and, as we have had hundreds and hundreds of happy guests, many of whom return again and again, as well as a Trip Advisor award last year and three this year, we must be doing something right.

The sea outside our hotel can be low. It is at the moment, as it is outside countless 5-star hotels in other parts of the island charging a much, much higher room rate than our own.. We are in a reef, but it finishes only a few metres along the beach, so it’s not very far to walk if you would like to swim in the sea. We sweep our beach two to three times per week so it is always fresh and clean for our guests and, as very few people walk past here, it is like a private beach. I am sorry that we cannot alter the fineness of the sand – does the guest have particularly sensitive feet perhaps? And the view! It is magnificent! You can see Koh Phangan and the outlying islands right in front of the hotel. And, believe it or not, a Swedish couple asked me today, just out of the blue, “What’s it like living in Paradise? It must be wonderful. And you’re all so kind! We love it here and shall certainly be coming back!” What more can I say?
Sue
Co-owner
Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2009

We stayed here 9 nights. The hotel was great, room was clean and the whole place was very beautiful and peaceful. The view was amazing. Beach was nice and not crowded but the water level was too low for swimming. There was a better beach to swim just a few minutes walk from the hotel. At the hotel there was also a swimming pool and it was so great to swim in the evening before we went to sleep. There are lot`s of good restaurant/bars near the Waterfront. I really want to recommend this hotel and I want to thank the whole staff for unforgettable holiday in Koh Samui.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Stareye09
Aberdeen, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2009

We just returned from spending 8 nights at the Waterfront, it was fantastic. It was one of the most easy going and relaxed places we've ever stayed at.

The view of the islands from the hotel is stunning and the beach is the quietest we've ever been on. If you've been to Samui before you will know that the beaches are full of touts and sellers coming up to you every couple of mins trying to sell you something. Not here we were left in peace the whole time we were there.

The owners and staff were great, the airport pickup is a good little extra touch that was very much welcomed, we were also taken back to the airport at the end of our stay but I know that this is not always possible.

We'd like to thank Robin, Sue, Michael and all their staff for a perfect holiday.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gunner100
Bucks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2009

FAb, fab, fab, fab!! We loved the hotel so much that we extended our stay by 9 days - a total of 27 days in all!
We were met by Michael, the son of the owners and a great guy, who gave us a guided tour of Bophut and the Fisherman's Village. After our "Welcome drink" we were shown to our bungalow which had an uninterrupted view of the beach and sea as well as the island of Koh Phangan. The room was spotlessly clean and was kept so on a daily basis by the hard working staff. The bed was even decorated in flowers and petals and to celebrate my birthday they were arranged in the shape of a heart with the words"Happy Birthday!" Due to it being low season, the honey moon suite became available and Robin kindly upgraded us at no extra cost. It was absolutely fantastic and right on the beach.
Robin and his staff were extremely kind, helpful and considerate. He organised car hire for us and advised us on flight booking, the Receptionists helped us to book trips and the Cook even arranged for a 4x4 to take us to a restaurant in the jungle. Books could be loaned, so could DVD's and board games. We also took advantage of the Laundry service that the hotel offered.
The breakfast menu was extensive ranging from full English breakfast to Thai. The many different fruits that we sampled every morning were amazing. Food could be ordered up to 6 o'clock and could be enjoyed on the wooden, beachside, Thai style terrace with its great views.
Sunbeds and loungers were plentiful. Those around the pool had deep, comfortable cushions as well as footstools. The small pool was a welcome relief during hot spells. There were three hammocks available, slung between the coconut palms. The pool bar was a great focus, both during the day as well as the evening where we made many friends and exchanged island experiences.
The Waterfront is a great base from which to see all Koh Samui has to offer as well as the nearby islands of Koh Phangan, Koh Tao and also the National Marine Park, the Ang Thong Archipelago. After touring around during the day it was so reassuring to get back to the Waterfront with its air conditioned rooms and refreshing showers and the knowledge that there was an extensive range of restaurants, bars and boutiques just a few minutes walk away.
This was our first visit to Thailand and it was, without exception, the best holiday we have ever had. We will most certainly be returning to The Waterfront and cannot recommend it enough.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DougandPauline
Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2009

On reading some of the more recent reviews namely 'chelseacasual' (is that a joke name or what)and the other one star review I can only surmise that the Waterfront is a victim of its own success and these reviews have somehow been posted by the opposition who are jealous of their success. How else can you explain remarks that bare no relation to any of the other reviews?

I have stayed at the Waterfront many times, despite being able to afford accomodation 3 times the price I preffer the homely atmosphere. Just to reiterate the staff are welcoming the food is great(Ihave the girth to show for it).

I feel sorry for the owners who when you meet them you will realise they bend over backwards to make your stay happy and comfortable. Perhaps some of the opposition should take a leaf out of thier book instead of posting malicous reviews on trip advisor? Maybe these bad reviews have been posted by disgruntled guests, but there description of The Waterfront is totally inacurate. These are hard times and I fear some resort to desperate measures.

The next time I am on Samui I will stay at The Waterefront because it is the best place to stay on samui. When I stay there I stay for 3 weeks at a time but I recieve no more or less attention than folks that stay there for 3 days. It's a great place to indulge yourself in whatever way you wish. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank ARScotland
Carlsbad, CA USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2009

Our family just returned after a great stay at the Waterfront. We booked the family bungalow which was perfect for a family of four with two children. Michael was right there to pick us up at the airport and give us a quick drive thru of the local village of Bophut. Upon arrival Robin gave us a quick overview of the property and showed us to our room which was beautifully decorated. Nice landscaping on the grounds as well. It's a quiet location, away from the party scene, perfect for relaxing. The room includes a prepared breakfast which was fantastic. If you want some variation from the menu all you had to do was ask. The staff was quick to meet our every need. One day we decided to drive to a waterfall and asked about renting a car. How long will it take? Reply, they will be here in 5-10 min! They also can set up any tour you wish on the island and make recommendations on which tours the guests liked the best which is important because there are so many choices. The only minor drawback was the shallow reef in front of the hotel which precludes swimming in the sea. Although you can swim close by after a short walk down the beach. The pool is small, mainly for cooling off, but OK for the size of the property.

Stayed May 2009
5 Thank Surfin_Fanatic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Paradise Beach Resort
#5 of 187 in Bophut
Prana Resort Nandana
Prana Resort Nandana
#12 of 187 in Bophut

Been to The Waterfront? Share your experiences!