“A place with charm and real character that I hope will never change”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Waterfront

The Waterfront
Ranked #19 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
London, United Kingdom
“A place with charm and real character that I hope will never change”
Reviewed 23 January 2011

I've written about the Waterfront before. But having been out to stay again (for something like the fifth time) I wanted to make sure anyone looking to travel now got to hear what a great place I think this is. The owners of this small but perfectly formed resort (Robin, Sue and son Michael) go out of their way to make your stay what you want it to be; their team of staff are always full of smiles and laughter and put real energy into providing you with a great holiday experience. Together the entire team create a real sense of family which gives the place a charming character that is very very rare. I suppose it is this chemistry between people - owners, staff and guests - that make The Waterfront such a unique place. Beyond this the facilities are well considered and highly maintained, the rooms very clean and well appointed and the bar is always full of smiles and chat. So perhaps while this hotel might be comparable to others simply in terms of specifications - you will not find another here (and rarely anywhere) that has such charm and character. It's why I keep going back, and based on the number of returnees that I have come to meet on my visits, I'm sure you will too. Book it - you'll be glad you did.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Hebrew first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 23 January 2011

I would stay at the Waterfront every time I visit Samui, Luxury meets a family friendly personal feel that's simply unbeatable anywhere on Samui, you will not regret staying here.

I an a British Expat living in Bangkok and my family came to stay for Xmas. I regularly visit the islands and my favourite part of Koh Samui is Nophut Fisherman's Village. It has the best restaurants in Samui, the beach is beautiful and the bustling markets are great for a quieter more relaxing getaway than the popular Chaweng area.

The Waterfront Resort was the best place I've stayed not just in Samui but in Asia to be honest. Robin & Sue (the British owners) are two of the friendliest couple I've met since moving here. Sue brings a real personal touch to the place from Orchids layed on your bed every morning to a personal hello to all guests and the wonderful ability to remember every guest by first name no matter how long you stay. Robin runs the reort on a day to day and ensures the food is great (breakfast by the beach) and the bar has a great atmosphere every night with all the guests joining for evening drinks and sharing stories.

The staff are the best I've come across and are always friendly and help you with anything you need. The rooms are clean, personal, all come with DVD players and immaculate bathrooms, and all the trimmings you'd expect from a first class resport like the Waterfront. The pool is clean with sun loungers around the pool and the beach front.

Robin picks up his guests from the airport to make sure you arrive on time and by the time you leave you'll be relaxed and ready to face your busy working week wherever home is.

I still stay in touch with Robin, Sue, their son Michael and some of the staff. A fantastic place run extremely well and one that you won't forget in a hurry.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 January 2011

Great hotel with very friendly owners and staff. Rooms are great, so is the pool, the view, the bar and the breakfast.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 17 January 2011

We always check tripadvisor before we travel and must say we were not disappointed when we chose the Waterfront. We had the worst possible weather whilst staying with Robin and they could not be more helpful. They upgraded our room from a standard to the honeymoon suite. Great staff, and on an idilylic piece of the island.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed 11 January 2011

My husband and I had a wonderful week at the Waterfront. Sue & Robin are wonderful hosts, and it is obvious their staff are dedicated to the comfort of the guests. The entire week was started wonderfully by Robin picking us up at the airport, driving us through the village pointing out various restaurant options, then serving us a complimentary glass of wine while we checked-in to the hotel. What a warm welcome!

Following the delicious and filling breakfast each morning, we would rotate between all the lovely areas for relaxing around the property: We'd spend the late morning at the loungers by the water, the afternoon in the loungers under the beautiful trees in the yard (or in the hammocks), and late afternoon either by the pool, by the bar, or in the comfortable wicker chairs on our bungalow's patio. And in the evening, we'd stroll the easy walk into town to enjoy amazing meals at one of the many restaurants in BoPhut.

The grounds are lush and gorgeous, and areas for relaxing are ample. We sat reading and looking out over the water, watching big puffy clouds form over Ko Phangan in the distance. An inland river meets the sea just in front of the property, so there is not a beach, per se, in front of the property, but the water views are still stunning. We are not beach people, so sitting in a comfortable lounger in the grass, under the shade of a tree, and overlooking the water was perfect for us.

The only downside for us, although most families would find this a big plus, for my husband and I, we found the Waterfront almost a little too family-friendly. We like to relax in peace and quiet, and the only disruption to our solitude was the squeals and squawks of babies and children, playing on the property and splashing in the pool. Obviously this is not a problem for most, considering that many people return to the Waterfront year after year.

Robin and Sue have a beautiful hotel and have done everything imaginable to make their guests feel comfortable and welcome. One evening we had a nice conversation with Sue who was curious and interested about my husband's art. We will always remember our stay at the Waterfront, and I assure you, for comfort and value on Ko Samui, The Waterfront is unparalleled.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 11Girl
Reviewed 11 January 2011

We stayed there in 2009 for my son"s wedding We had a wonderful time Sue Robin and all the staff could not do enough for you Always happy and laughing we could not fault anything I loved the hammocks . My son now lives out there so i know i have the luxury of returning to the beautiful island If you have never been you should go i promise you will not be disappointed Maria & Andy Surrey

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2011

This was my second visit, I first came across The Waterfront in May 2009 when my friend and I stayed for a week. I decided to stay on alone for a few days afterwards and didn't even think about looking for another hotel. This time around I had booked a week in a detox spa in another part of the island but I couldn't resist a couple of nights either side in The Waterfront.
It is spotlessly clean, the staff are friendly and always have smiles on their faces, the view is amazing and on a sunny day you feel like you have found paradise! They do not serve dinner but this is a good thing, it gives you a chance to sample the wonderful restaurants in Fishermans Village.
From the minute you arrive and are offered a welcome drink by Robin until the minute you leave you are made to feel special, something you do not get in larger hotels.
Until I discovered Koh Samui I had never been back to the same place twice, I have now been 4 times and I will return time and time again, to The Waterfront if there is availability!
The only downside is that the beach in that part of the island is not the best but if you are happy to sit by a pool it is perfect!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Baan Bophut Beach Hotel
Secret Garden Beach Resort
Smile House Resort
Smile House Resort
#39 of 187 in Bophut

Been to The Waterfront? Share your experiences!