“Falling apart”

Baan Bophut Beach Hotel
Ranked #57 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We booked a 7 day stay at this hotel. We left after 2. Previous reviews have said it is in a good location. It is - but there are only so many things that can be excused on the basis of that. For a start we emphasised clearly in our booking that we needed a quiet room. We arrived to find an extensive renovation going on next door involving angle grinders and much hammering. No chance of a quiet sleepin or a lounge by the pool or on the beach. Although this may be beyond the hotels control surely it would be more honest to acknowledge it to customers whose priority is peace and quiet. The fact that Room 1 had faulty electricity was mentioned by another reviewer. Add to that that while we were there Room 5 was closed due to a major water leaqk and Room 6 because of electrical short circuit. Even the espresso coffee machine broke down leaving only instant coffee at breakfast!! This hotel has potential but at the moment it is a train wreck in slow motion. It requires considerably more involvement by management and a large investment of funds for maintenance and refurbishment. Until there is evidence of this it is better avoided.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edward1909
BaanBophut, Owner at Baan Bophut Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2014

Hello, I am the new owner of Baan Bophut Beach Hotel since Summer 2014. I would like to let you know that the problems you experienced under the old ownership during your stay have been resolved. We have just completed an extensive renovation and modernization of guest rooms and hotel facilities. We hope you will take a look at the baanbophut.com website and see our renovated rooms and consider our hotel on your next stay in Samui.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I decided to go for "modest accommodations" this year for my annual yoga retreat at The Yogarden (which was a wonderful experience but that is another review) and Baan Bophut was recommended to me. I read the reviews which mostly said "the staff couldn't be bothered and service was mediocre" but because I also read it was owned by a British couple, I didn't think it would be too bad, but I couldn't have assumed any worse. Apart from the room being clean and located conveniently, I found overall my stay pretty anti-climatic. I stayed in Room 1, on the side. First, the door scraped the floor and the key was difficult to insert and take out, so I couldn't quickly enter the room and close the door without mosquitoes flying in. The towels were frayed and one of the hand towels had a hole! I also discovered that when I used the hot water in the shower over 10 minutes, the electricity in the room would completely shut off. This nuisance occurred daily and the staff didn't seem at all apologetic nor made any effort to make it less unpleasant for me. The staff were a rare sighting which wasn't a big deal but at one point, it did seem odd that nobody was at the reception at nights which made me wonder what they were doing. I did see them chatting in Room 2, lying on the bed with the TV turned on after the visitor checked out. The rates were very low so I guess the phrase "you pay peanuts, you get peanuts" has an universal truth to it. I tried the place for 4 nights and in the end thought it would be better to move elsewhere to make my stay more enjoyable. I was fine with humble environment but don't believe that just because the hotel is mid-budget means you have to deal with aloof staff and put up with no service. If you are thinking to stay here, please manage your expectations accordingly...

Room Tip: Apparently room 3
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank onechinawoman
mangolust, Owner at Baan Bophut Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

I would like to thank this guest and the others who stayed recently, for taking the trouble to record their impressions and sincerely regret that we were unable to meet their expectations.

The hotel is managed by our daughter - Lucy, and it is clear from recent reviews that standards have deteriorated during her six week annual leave in UK. Lucy's absence is not intended to excuse or mitigate guests' reports of their disappointing experience, and we have acted to rectify the negative points raised.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

I stayed for 14 days from 4th July '13, for my daughters wedding, first couple days was bliss in room 1, then the aircon started from the next door private residence, did never stop day & night, on off, on off. In the end I moved to rm 3, no window in the bathroom but blissfully quiet. Looking out at the beach was gorgeous. Pool vey good & clean.
Linen needs updating, very frayed etc, cleaning staff polite & seem to do their job ok. Although I did notice they did get a bit slack along the way & water was not left daily etc.
I am really tired of hotel rooms that do not have a chest of drawers, impossible to unpack properly.
Seems as if the owners are not around to keep a watch on staff.
The Restaurant food was good, I enjoyed it as much or more than the street food in Fishermans village which can be hit & miss. Good coffee.
Ali Barber the curry restaurant off the main drag is the best Indian I have had for ages.
Friday night walking street is great for food & cheap cocktails.
All in all I loved my time there, did feel that the hotel was a little pricy for what it was & how it was presented. But it was high season I guess.

Room Tip: I liked down stairs as I loved just walking outside to the beach or pool, but upstairs was nice also...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and left feeling a bit disappointed. Being advertised as a small family owned hotel we were expecting a personal touch to the place and excellent customer service. We just couldn't find the staff at the front desk or at the bar when we needed and it it semmed that they couldn't care less about us. Positives: quiet location, close to restaurants, great view, nice swimming pool, comfy bed, free wi-fi. Negatives: Air-con to cold and impossible to change temperature, no hot water in the shower, tired room and towels. The place has got potential and would do well with a better customer service and some attention to detail.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed here from 21.6.13 to 25.6.13 and can only vouch for room #3
Positives - clean room, great king size bed, great value, close to restaurants and beach, great views, free internet, quiet location for beach front units, air con, good pool, good beach with no salesmen, linen & towels we were provided with were all good.
Negatives - beach not suited for swimming (but theres always the pool for that), some mosquito's at night from nearby creek (nothing a can of flyspray from front desk couldn't handle though), outside chair cushions need recovering, hot water was only lukewarm and the staff were hard to find at times.
Only other problem we had was when the power went out for 2hrs one night along the whole street, (not the hotels fault) and we were provided with some candles.
Overall I would have no second thought about staying here again as the positives far outweighed the negatives.

Room Tip: We had ground floor room #3 which was great after staying at Chaweng Beach on the 3rd floor with no...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

We arrived to baan bophut to high expectations but sadly we were left very disappointed with the hotel.
First the positives:
Great location,wonderful views,good sized rooms,powerful a/c in room, lovely infinity pool,
Now the negatives:
Maybe because it was the low season, but even though the staff were friendly enough the just seamed as though they couldn't be bothered! and it seemed there was nobody in actual authority if a major problem occurred.
The vent in the bathroom obviously hadn't been cleaned for months as it was blocked with thick dust which was then falling onto the rim of the tiles leaving a thick line of dust.
The towels were so old they were fraying and looked more like cleaning rags,also a couple of them were very badly stained!!!
The bedside tables and dressers were very badly stained and marked.
The cushions on the lovely oversized deck-chairs on the balconies were so badly worn and ripped, that they should in my opinion be replaced ASAP!!
Overall the hotel is in need of some TLC to bring it back to the
hotel it once was!!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Stayed for three nights at the end of April, great small boutique hotel, quiet and peaceful, nice but small pool but big enough to have a swim and cool off.
Air con very good, big comfy beds and pillows, clean and lots of good towels.
So good we returned for one night on our way back to Bangkok.
Highly recommended.