“I love this friendly place”

Free House Bungalow
Ranked #102 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
“I love this friendly place”
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

I have been here several time and love it so much. It's at a great price with clean and simple rooms. Only seconds to the beach with a fantastic bar and restaurant. Odd who runs the bar is great and kept us entertained. The owners are lovely and would do anything for us.

Would love to come and see you all again.

Mole paul and stu.

We all have children now and keep us busy but hopefully come see you all again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Possibly the rudest staff we have yet encountered. We always pay at check out, this is the norm to us. The guy at the bar said ok. After coming back from a day out, 'Tip' demanded us to pay now, no please or thank you..just damn right rude. Wouldn't have been an issue if she would had asked nicely.
After going to the lounge to get some wifi, more staff members just grunting 'menu' 'drinks' again no please or thank yous.
We needed to check out at 6:30 in order to get out boat, and asked Tip if someone would be at reception at this time for check out. She just nodded her head and couldn't look less interested if she tried.
Wifi is also turned off around 9:30pm which is annoying.
Bungalows are nothing special, small and basic, however the bathroom was covered in lizard poo and full of Mosquitos. We got eaten alive staying there! Mosquito net isn't very effective.
Beach outside is dirty and they don't take good care of it.
Would not recommend..much better places to stay on the island.

small, basic with

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank SDease

Travellers are raving about these Bophut hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

The Free House is perfect if you are looking for a cheap and cheerful stay on the beach side. The beach bar sits on the beach and the rooms are what you would expect from a £10 per night bungalow. Small rooms but a double bed with mosquito net and small but functional bathroom. It is clean and other then a few cute little lizards there was no wildlife in the rooms. I really loved my experience at the Free House, the only thing I can comment on that is not so positive is the loud middle aged men that frequented the bar and spent all day and night with a beer in one hand and sports on the TV. After coming back late one night, my boyfriend decided to stay on the beach and I headed back to the room- they assumed we had had an argument and made comments like "it doesn't always work out/ shame, what happened?!/ coming home alone hey?" Which made me feel uncomfortable however this is not the fault of the free house, just bad luck we were staying at the same time!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laurenalc
UK- South East
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

This place is really nice and brilliant value for money at this time of year. The bungalows are small, but at the end of the day with the beach only 30 seconds from door to water, who is going to spend much time in them! That said they are very nice, mosquito nets are a bit ripped so bring deet or your own net!
The beach by the hotel is lovely, very quiet and peaceful as is the rest of the hotel area, the beach bar is a bit pricy but in keeping with the Bophut area compared to the rest of the island!
Walking into Bophut is extremely easy it takes no more than 10 minutes along the beach at a normal walking pace so you are definitely not out of everything!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank ollie1990
London, UK
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I only stopped in Samui for 2 nights on my way to Phagnan - I chose Free House as I was travelling on my own and thought staying here would be better than a couples-filled resort. I went in mid-low season (Sept), so the place was pretty dead. Bungalow was clean and comfy and very close to the beach. Owners were ok, but I wasn't blown away by the hospitality... However, there was a great lady at the massage hut next door who did a brilliant massage! A decent place to stay if you're travelling on to the other islands for a night or two, but I wouldn't stay here much longer.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank BaddyTravels
Reviewed 12 September 2013

To follow on the below review I cannot agree more - this place is special!!! I spent a week here before heading to koh Tao and missed it so much I came back for another 4 days after koh Tao! The staff are friendly and helpful - the rooms are clean and well kept and location perfect! Away from the crazy touristy Cheweng beach but close enough to get to it too - a short walk away from the beautiful fisherman village and the beach on your door step! Plus u must try a classic Thai massage from Panee the resident massage therapist - overall great for couples or lone traveler seeking a chilled place to relax and enjoy the beauty of Samui

• Stayed August 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

Just a quick reviews last one on here by someone was in march and I want people to come here & enjoy it like us.

I am here right now! (writing this on phone via WiFi so excuse spelling etc)
We was due to check out yesterday but have loved Free House life so much we decided to stay till monday.
Its so lovely and relaxed.
The staff are so friendly & helpful (& their English is good enough, why should they have to speak English. Some are very good, others keen to learn from you and they dont shy away from trying).

The price is good we are so happy with what's here for us.

We are in a double fan room really really affective in this heat. Clean and simple. 1800 THB for 3 nights
Like many places on the island to use visa etc to pay there is a 3-4% charge.

ATM just at top of track to Free House on main rd. Like all ATMs I have used there is a 150 THB charge for use.

The food is lovely! People come here just to eat from what we have seen.
Good selection of hot & cold drinks.
Good choices for all, and all home cooked by a lovely lady who works hard like all the staff.

The staff seem happy and relaxed, which is lovely to see.

If your looking for simple Thai holiday life come here, if you like to stay in places with no character, over styled & soulless, expensive and non person centered venues that are like those you find all over this world then don't.

A short walk on beach or main rd to Fisherman village.

Lady giving fab massage & other treatments at good prices outside free house on beach.

Staff happy to help sort out trips, transfers etc etc for you with a discount.

Your clothes can be laundered for you so no need to bring loads.

Come stay you won't regret.

• Stayed August 2013