“really great service in a beautiful location - just perfect!”

Secret Garden Beach Resort
Ranked #25 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed in the beachside bungalow for over 3 weeks in June and loved it! The location was the best we saw on our travels around Koh Samui, our bungalow was right on the beach and you can fall asleep listening to the waves! The staff couldn't be more helpful, genuinely taking care of you whilst allowing you to relax, nothing is too much trouble! which is priceless when you are away from home. On a sunday they have live music and a BBQ, I'm also a sucker for festoon lights which they have loads of!! Thank you for looking after us in such a personal way, we will return very soon! please say hi to everyone x

Room Tip: I would advise booking the beachfront bungalow the view was stunning!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rachel197523

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I've been there with three friends last night for the BBQ & Live music, I had a great time! Location is a bit far from the most populated areas, it had been raining before we got there and most of the seats were outside though, the staff was helpful in finding us a nice seat and some nice drinks. I have not tried the barbeque but I've heard it was quite good. The live music was a bit stiff at the start for people to eat but later on I witnessed the very joy live music can bring when the passion of the players and the public gets mixed together..Absolutely fantastic! I happened to personally know the players of the band a bit and they did once again a great job. I would definitely come back :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hiwakea
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights & it was pretty good for price. We booked beachside bungalow so it didn't really have a view of beach but was about 30 meters away. Upon arriving, we realized only 1 unit actually faced the beach. Other 3 beachside units only faced the center of property with a slight view of beach from front patio, which includes our unit at the very end. Beach was ok (not big), ocean water was not clear so just good for wading. Small pier was nearby & planes can be seen while on beach since airport is very nearby.

Our room was clean but size wasn't big but had a small couch & bed was comfy. AC in room, wifi was very good strength in room, TV had great english movie & news channels, bathroom is good size, toilet (flushed well) & sink is in covered area but shower area (good water pressure) was open air. Housekeeping done everyday. Therefore, we felt the value, room size & location was just average for price we paid. But friendly staff & overall cleanliness makes our stay overall very good.

Food at resort was pretty good. We ate a lot of pastas & took advantage of the happy hour cocktails. Prices were reasonable & food was tasty. There are restaurants around the area but we mainly ate at resort. We ventured to Changweng beach & thought beach area was a lot better. It was much bigger & a bit busier but we didn't think it was crowded at all. The water was great with nice waves to play in. Lots of restaurants along beach. Thus, consider what type of beach & area you like when booking at this resort. If you want quiet beach then Buddha beach is pretty good.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LuuWongGo
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed in this resort for two nights and we really liked it. Our beachside bungalow was spacious, nicely furnished and clean and the bed was very comfortable. On sunday we watched the live music and had the barbecue buffet for dinner (if you choose to take the bbq buffet for dinner which is 300 baht per person, note that you can have only one plate and it is not an all you can eat- we didn't know and ended up a little hungry). It was a nice evening. They also have a happy hour were you can get two drinks for the price of one. Since we stayed up till the music was over, we didn't have any trouble with sleeping. There weren't any nightly noises around our bungalow either. We liked the food at the restaurant very much, too. We tried western food and thai and both was good. Also they served good coffee and the wine was good too. The staff was very nice and attendive. Also the owner, John, was very friendly and supportive. We had originally reserved 4 nights at this resort and had put down a deposit. However we emailed the resort that we couldn't manage to get there in time and arrived 2 nights late. John was very nice and said we only had to pay the two nights we actually stayed at secret garden. There were some bars around the resort but we never heard any noises or music coming from those. Truth be told some parts of the resort could use a little makeover, such as the daybeds on the beach or the cushions at the restaurant. But as I noted they are building a pool this year or next year and then also be doing all the renovating aswell. If you want to go swimming, I would rather recommend going to another beach since the sand on the beach is coarse and the water is pretty murky. Also there are some sharp-edged oyster shells in the sand and you can't see what you are stepping on. Also the pier is right next to the resort. But other than that we really liked the stay at this resort and would recommend it for a short stay at Ko Samui. Going anywere by Taxi or Songatew is around 300 baht p. Person.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hatschko
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed at the Secret Garden Beach Resort only for 1 night as we were staying in Koh Tao and flying out the next day. The resort is very lovely, it's right on the beach so it's got a very relaxed feeling to it. The food at the restaurant is delicious and the staff very nice. They even brought our dinner in our room when we didn't feel like eating at the restaurant but they didn't even come back to pick up the dishes so we had to sleep all night with a fried rice smell in the room. Couldn't leave the dishes outside as it was pouring down with rain. Internet works well in the room. The room in itself is clean, the bed is comfortable and the air-conditioning works well. On the other hand, the bathroom was a horror. Although very clean and massive, it was a sauna in there. There was no fan or air-conditioning and the fact that the bathroom had a mesh grill instead of a glass window let all the hot air coming through. Also, there was only hot water which was a big disappointment. The only thing we wanted after long walks during the day was a very cold shower but unfortunately there was no option.
In the end, this was a nice place to stay but it needs some work done.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This place has a very good website. The information on that and the reviews on here are what made me choose it for a recent stay. Overall, I was disappointed. It was clean and the huts were old and a bit dilapidated but fine. The staff were very friendly if a bit laid back in their style. They lack training. My biggest disappointment was the food. When I read about the chef co owner I thought I was in for a treat but no. I don't know where he was during my stay but he was nowhere near the kitchen that's for sure. After a few meals there I ate elsewhere. My first breakfast I ordered yoghurt with local exotic fruits. I'd driven past the market on the way and saw all the wonderful mangos, papayas, bananas and mangosteens etc. What I got was chopped up apple and orange, what tasted like tinned pineapple and a frozen strawberry! I saw a lot of happy faces while I was there but also some disgruntled ones. I know a lot of people aren't as fussy as I am and maybe I wouldn't have been so disappointed if the food hadn't been built up so much on their website. I wouldn't stay there again. I think there are much better options.

Room Tip: Most people would choose the one hut right on the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PearlPureheart
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Recently enjoyed the Sunday bbq session at the Secret Garden. Arrived for happy hour and continued on till late in the night. The bbq dinner was delicious with both thai dishes and bbq meats and salads. Entertainment was easy to listen to and even better to dance to. Would recommend it to anyone wanting a great night out.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nadine G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
The Waterfront
#9 of 30 in Mae Nam
Saboey Resort and Villas
Saboey Resort and Villas
#42 of 185 in Bophut

Been to Secret Garden Beach Resort? Share your experiences!