“Lovely spa retreat for couples”

Wood Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Collingham
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely spa retreat for couples”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Me and my boyfriend booked an overnight spa break here for valentines weekend and had an amazing stay. The staff were very welcoming and the hotel is beautiful - we were surprised by the quality and it was definitely worth paying a bit more for. The treatment and spa area really helped us wind down and feel at ease, it was a great way spend quality time together. Our room was very clean and nicely furnished, everything was provided in it that we needed. Breakfast in the morning was gorgeous and the breakfast area was also beautiful, we felt like VIPs!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
GordonBurniston, General Manager at Wood Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your lovely feedback following your February stay with us.

It was pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay from start to finish and that you felt like VIP’s, our aim is always to make sure our guests feel indulged and I was delighted to read we seemed to have achieved this.

Thank you for your comments and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Gordon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I had booked a spa day with afternoon tea at this hotel and it definitely lived up to expectations. Whilst fairly expensive, the location and service of the staff were fantastic. When we went, the full hotel had been booked out for a wedding so unfortunately we were unable to look around, however, the spa facilities in the next building were comfortable and pleasant. Very pleased.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your wonderful feedback following your April stay with us.

I was delighted that you enjoyed your spa day and afternoon tea and the service the staff provided. Unfortunately on the day we had a wedding that had booked the hotel exclusively, perhaps next time you could stay with us and enjoy and evening meal.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Had a most pleasurable stay here. The room was lovely with great facilities, robes, slippers, decent toiletries, magazines etc and lovely tea and coffee. Although there was no 'view', as such from our window, this did not really matter as the room was so comfortable and there are plenty of views to be had elsewhere around the hotel.
Our meal was extremely good and we selected an excellent wine from a collection of French wines that were on sale in addition to the main wine menu. Service was also faultless.
During our stay, we followed one of the routes for walkers that the hotel had prepared, made the most of the spa facilities, used the sitting room and the chess set and generally enjoyed the ambiance and being spoilt.
Only downside was that there were noisy footsteps above us on the Saturday morning, which means we were probably picking up activity from the staff on the upstairs corridor. Something that the hotel can deal with, I am sure.
I can understand that a wedding could inhibit the relaxed atmosphere for some guests

Room Tip: We had a twin room, Hazel. Very comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your lovely feedback following your April stay with us.

I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the ambience of the hotel, also pleased to see you enjoyed our new selection of Bordeaux wines they really are a wonderful addition to your evening meal.

yorkshire
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for a weekend break he had been unwell and it was a chance for him to unwind. The reason I didn't give 5 stars was simply the lack of communication between Central booking and the hotel. When I specifically asked if there we're any weddings scheduled for that weekend I was told no. In fact there was one taking place on the Friday when we arrived and another one on the Saturday. The staff worked hard to ensure the guests were not disturbed but still paying over £400 for a weekend I expect to be given all relevant information.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pgb55Yorkshire
GordonBurniston, General Manager at Wood Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your feedback following your March stay with us.

Please accept my apologies with regard the breakdown in communication with regard to the weddings; you should have been notified at the booking stage. I hope it did not disturb your husband and that he was able to have some recovery time whilst staying at the hotel.

Staffordshire
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My husband, 4 month old baby and I have just returned from a 3 night stay here to celebrate my 30th birthday. We arrived 2 hours earlier than check-in but our room was ready for us complete with cot and flowers which the hotel had arranged on my husbands request. The room was a good size and had a beautiful view. The only downside initially was that the radiator had been left on max and as the room was situated above a heated indoor pool it was way too hot in there but we soon cooled it down to a more reasonable temperature. As one of us had to stay with our baby at all times the receptionist Jessica insisted on helping us bring all our cases to the room which was a great help.
We both had treatments in the spa and even took our son for a dip in the pool which he loved. Facilities in the spa were very good.
The choice at breakfast were excellent with my husband very happy with his full english but my sweet tooth preferred the waffle and maple syrup. There was also an excellent selection of continental breakfast foods and I really liked all the local produce on offer. I've got to mention Jan who waited on us each of the mornings as he was an excellent waiter and very happy and friendly at all times.
The only bad thing I could say about our stay here would be that there were 2 weddings on the weekend we stayed and as a result for 2 days we were not permitted to park in the front carpark and had to park in the other one which was a lot further away and was not convenient for us as our baby plus car seat was very heavy to carry. Other than that we were not disturbed by the weddings at all.

Room Tip: pay the extra for a view and if you don't like it hot ask for a room not above the swimming pool
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lule19
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your lovely feedback following your March stay with us.

I so glad you enjoyed your three night stay; I hope you had some relaxation whilst you were with us. Thank you for your comments about the service you received. I’m glad you noticed the breakfast we offer we do try to source all of our produce locally for our guest to enjoy. I note your feedback about the front car park we need to ensure our concierge team pay more attention to this.

Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Wood Hall is an incredible wedding venue. It is very beautiful inside and out, which means you're guaranteed to get amazing photo's. It has a very personal touch - even though we didn't book it as exclusive use it felt like it, they only have 1 wedding on per day and the few other guests that are about, you don't notice.

We went for the Whirlwind package, which included a lot of extra things which saved us both time and money e.g. DJ, table flowers, table stationary, chair covers.

The wedding breakfast was of exceptional quality. All guests commented on how delicious it was and we had the added bonus of a food tasting several weeks before the big day.

The rooms are also amazing - 5 of which we got included as part of our package, including the honeymoon suite (they're supposed to be 4* It felt like 5* to us). The staff are very friendly and professional and we had a lovely wedding co-ordinator before and on the day so everything ran very smoothly. The morning after the wedding they also allocated us a room to have breakfast (dressed with our wedding flowers) with all the guest that stayed the night - another lovely touch that we weren't expecting. Again the food quality was outstanding.

The spa facilities are great too I enjoyed some time in the pool and jacuzzi relaxing the night before and the morning after the wedding - very relaxing.

Everyone had such an amazing time we'll all remember the 21st February 2014 for years to come.
We're very much looking forward to returning for our landmark anniversary's, starting with our first!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your amazing feedback following your February wedding day with us.

I was so delighted to read your review and that everything went well on the day. Thank you for your comments about the team and the venue, we are so glad you enjoyed it and that you chose us to host your special day. I note you are looking to return to the hotel for your anniversary, please do contact me personally and I will take care of your arrangements.

Thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back on 21st February 2015.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My friend and I have just returned from a two day midweek stay. I have recently had major surgery and a long stay in hospital due to complications and was not sure if the hotel could cope with my requirements. I need not have worried, from the moment we arrived the staff could not do enough to help and did so happily!
The chef altered all my dishes so that they met the strict confines of my diet and we had our deserts brought to our room as I needed to be connected to a drip over night.
We cannot praise enough their kindness and how it helped boost my spirits after what has been a very difficult three months. Thanks to you all especially Jessica who coordinated every thing. Gillian

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your lovely feedback following your March visit to us.

It was great to read that the team looked after you especially after your recent ill health. As I said below on your friends review, David spoke to me after your stay and the feedback you gave him, I have made sure together with this feedback has been passed on to the team.

I hope you are now on the road to recovery.

Thank you for your comments and I hope I can welcome you both back to the hotel in the near future.

Gordon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingham
Rudding Park Hotel
Oulton Hall & Spa
Oulton Hall & Spa
#1 of 1 in Oulton
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,470 reviews

Been to Wood Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!