“Great place to chill and meet people”

Dijembe Backpackers Hostel
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great place to chill and meet people”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

As soon as we walked in to Dijembe we had a good feeling about the place. Michael gave us a warm welcome and then Michelle came and found us to say hi along with the lovely doggies! We arrived at a good time and made some great friends - French, Dutch, German, English and somehow roped each other into doing the bungee. The place is thoughfully and rustically designed, hammocks, daily camp fire, recycled items making bird feeders, candle holders. They have a communal meal each night, which we had 3 out of the 4 nights we stayed there. All great cooking and value. Pancakes for breakfast and we had a lovely double room with ensuite. We were sad to leave. It's a place for people who want to meet, swop tales, share a beer or glass of wine - maybe a few! A great time had by all - thank you Michael and Michelle for looking after us so well, we were sad to leave! Definitely stay a few nights!

I did the horse ride, which was ok. Definitely aimed at people who cannot ride just to manage expectations, lovely rescue ponies, who dine in the garden

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Wow! Dijembe backpackers is truly one-of-a-kind. We were greeted by a beautiful warm smile and welcome shots! As you pass through the backpackers, you are able to read the walls and walls of stories and comments from all the wandering souls that have been fortunate enough to pass through Dijembe. We were sadly only there for less than 24 hours but in that time I had conversations and food that changed my life :) What an incredible place!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
israel
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We arrived at DIJEMBE totally by chance.... and soon realized how lucky we were to stumble apon such a unique place! A place were we could truly relax and enjoy all the nature around us! Whether we were sitting by the fireplace inside (or out), in the jaccuzi or just chilling on the hammok... we always felt at home! The food was YUMMY- breakfast and dinner! And the freshly backed bread- to die for!!:) We planned on staying for afew hours and landed up prolonging our whole trip just to stay for a few more nights!!
If you're looking for a great backpacker vibe and amazing atmosphere.... with friendly and inviting people- Dijembe is the place to be!!

We're already waiting to go back!!! :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Me and my boyfriend visited Dijembe when travelling South Africa with the Baz Bus.
One thing I will say is if you are coming to Storm's River (and you definitely should there is loads to do!) you 100% must stay at Dijembe. Never before in any hostel have I been greeted with such warm and friendly service, it felt like returning to a familiar place. Michelle, what a star, she greeted me like a friend she's known for years.
The location is absolutely beautiful, perfect for chilling outside by the fire with new friends whilst the sun is setting all around you.
Dijembe is also extremely close to all the activities that are offered in the Storm's River area such as black water tubing, flying around the trees being a monkey for the day and of course the Bloukran's bungy jump.
The dorms are incredible, all hand-made wooden bunk beds, a lot of effort has gone into this place and you can clearly see it.
Michelle and the gang really really do all they can to ensure you remember your stay with them!!!
Go to Dijembe, honestly you will not be disappointed..... I will be back...!

• Stayed January 2013
Mossel Bay
Reviewed 22 October 2013

WHAT A BEAUTIUL ATMOSPHERE :))

After a tired few days and some horrifying drama, I arrived at *Home*...
Dijembe backpackers was so welcoming to let me stay in the guest house where I had the whole house to me and my baby :)) What fun we had ;))
An old warm and welcome home, with a BIG yard made my heart melt in two, I never wanted to leave as the freshness of Tsitsikamma filled me with so much excitement!
I have to give a BIG thumbs up for the staff and the owner... they help me with so much as my baby was only then 7weeks old! I even got arranged a smoke :))
I DEFINATLY will go back there, but they must be very careful, I might just stay forever :))
IT IS A MUST if you want to feel the vibe of *at home* and the cost of it, WOW it is basicly for free :)) ENJOY, One love and Blessings, Misty *~*

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
J Bay
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Thanks to dijembe and there team for making our honeymoon so unforgettable. They really went out there way to make it a special moment for us. We will recommend you to all our friends all over the world. And especially that jacuzzi that was the cherry on the cake we have returned many times and we will c u soon again. Guys when i return the fist room outside at the waterfall is mine again love that room. Ps. keep the horses ready, I wish i could have just stayed there till the end of my days maybe we can book a room to retire in hey that would be great. thanks guys lots of love and kisses. sasie

Room Tip: Outside double rooms at the water feature
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

If your looking for 5 star posh hotels this place isn't your pot of tea. However, as far as backpackers go, this one gripped my heart the most! Such friendly and helpful staff. Huge community feel to the place and a few local kids even come hang out there who are amazing to speak to. Would highly recommend the place. Just be prepared to stay a little longer than you planned because you'll feel homely there before you know it. Thanks to all who made my stay. :)

• Stayed September 2013