Tube 'n Axe Backpackers Lodge
Tsitsikamma Lodge(Storms River)
US$66
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Misty Mountain Reserve(Tsitsikamma National Park)(Great Value!)
US$225
  • Pool
Kurland Hotel(Plettenberg Bay)
US$711
US$688
Agoda.com
Plett River Lodge(Plettenberg Bay)(Great Value!)
US$97
US$76
  • Restaurant
The Plettenberg Hotel(Plettenberg Bay)
US$357
US$335
Travelocity
Grand Africa Rooms(Plettenberg Bay)(Great Value!)
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
Beacon Island Resort(Plettenberg Bay)
Agoda.com
All reviewsfire pitblack water tubingtubing experienceluxury tentsevery eveningprivate bathroombungee jumpother guestspeak seasonshuttle servicepool tablegreat facilitiescommunal kitchenstayed nightsamazing placeback packerstsitsikamma national park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 June 2013

During my travels I has the opportunity of staying at the Tube an Axe. I would not call it a back packers lodge as the class of accommodation was 4 star like with extremely helpful and friendly staff. The fellow travelers were a;so welcoming and we had a lovely time. You will not get a better deal from any other place Tube n Axe is the way. Thank you to all the staff you guys are amazing see you next year.

Room Tip: All Rooms are great and clean. I would advise that if you are a couple book a room and not a dorm for privacy only.. other wise all is Excellent!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

We have stayed 2 nights in our little tent before doing the otter trail, and we like it so much that when we finish ed the trail we stayed another 2. Beautiful gardens, cool bar area, free wifi, one of the most pleasant hot showers someone can have, and more than welcoming and helpfull staff (especially Suki and Pumlani). If we come back to storms river we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 22 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Tube N Axe for two days and had a lovely time. The location is ideal, on the edge of quaint Storms River Village and surrounded by plenty of greenery. The staff are very accommodating and helpful. When you tell them what
you are interested in doing for the day they go out of their way to make it easy for you.

I went out to the Tsitsikamma National Park both days that I was there, forgoing any of the more adventurous activities, and enjoyed both the Waterfall Hike (which is on very challenging terrain) and the one to the suspension bridges that cross the mouth of Storms River. Tube N Axe provides the first transfer to the park for free to Baz Bus travellers, and the cost for the second transfer was about 200 rand.

The lodge itself is lovely and cozy and there is a nice, chill vibe in the common area after dark. You can curl up on a couch, play pool, get a drink at the bar, or go outside to enjoy the roaring campfire they light nightly.

They do a really nice breakfast buffet in the morning for about 35 rand with plenty of freshly baked goodies and fresh fruit to enjoy.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I called the day before my arrival at Tube & Axe to make a reservation and request pick up at the gas station nearby (which their website advertises they provide for free). I waited for almost two hours and spoke several times with people on the phone who kept saying the driver was coming, although he never showed up and I got a ride with other people.

Everything at the hostel is pay extra. The dorm rooms are spacious and clean, but you have to pay for absolutely everything. The bar tender guy was extremely unprofessional and got absolutely plastered the night I was there and acted like a five year old child. It was ridiculous.

On my way out, I asked for a ride back to the gas station (since again, the website advertises this transport is free) and they said I would have to pay because the shuttle is free only one way-- even though I never got the one way pick up, anyway.

Would definitely recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

The room was clean and bright and the beds beyond comfortable!
The staff were helpful and informative and the atmosphere was quite laid back.
The bathrooms were clean and in good order also. The breakfast...what can I say about the breakfast? The muffins were so fresh from the oven that they were still steaming, the bread obviously oven baked and super fresh also...what more could you ask for?
I've done the tubing a couple of times and have been pretty lucky to get rapids on more than one occasion, even in low water where there are less rapids the guides made sure that we had plenty of fun with always a laugh and joke to be had with everyone and some jumps from high rocks.
I really enjoyed my whole experience at Tube N Axe in its beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed: March 2013