“Bad experience in a nice surrounding”

Tube 'n Axe Backpackers Lodge
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The place has a great potential, the surroundings are excellent and beautiful. But most of the staff was unhelpful and unprofessional. Poor, poor information about trips and things to do in the area. We were tempted to stay 3 nights (pay 2 night, get 3rd for free), but left after 2 nights. If you do not have your own car, shuttles from the hostel is very expensive.

We brought out own food, because there is only a small supermarket and not a lot of restaurants in the village. Unfortunately the kitchen was disgusting, with left overs from weeks and not single clean pot or pan to use. Must of the mess was from the staff themselves.

Charles, was a great member of the staff, professional, helpful and friendly. The Black Water Tubing that he organizes is great and the crew gives you a nice experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 September 2013

The dorm rooms are gorgeous! Comfy beds, individual reading lamps, towel racks and drawers - 5 star beds!

Drinks are inexpensive and the bar are is relaxing. The lodge caters well to those doing activities - shuttles, packages etc.

The bathroom is very clean and the staff are very helpful. I lost my cellphone at the backpackers and while it still hasn't been found - the staff have been in correspondence.

Nice self catering kitchen. Complimentary coffee and tea.

Service on the food side is a bit slow. There is a set menu but it wasn't available due to weather (bbq on Saturdays) but I think they could make a effort to do a stew or something should it rain as a la carte options lacked vegetables.

The shower area (not the shower itself) is cramped so be ready to balance on one foot.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2013

For that ones needs some resting after bungee jumping, that's the place where beds look like heaven, cleaned bathrooms even the shared ones are not out of the house or getting cold air from outside. If you need to use a kitchen, there is one just right there, very organized and well equipped . Just like it shall be.

Room Tip: For resting after a long walking or jumping day, get the inside rooms - it means nice beds for sleep...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

Before arriving, I emailed to confirm my booking, but no response. Luckily I was in the books. Upon arrival I was shown to my dorm with no explanation of the grounds, locations of toilets, services and policies. Luckily after cycling all day, all I wanted was a shower and a bed. In the morning, however, I discovered that there apparently is no self-catering kitchen and you are forced into buying the house breakfast (storms river village is just that-- a village, and options are few). This is the FIRST hostel I have stayed at that does not offer a kitchen (the web advertises a "kitchenette" but I haven't seen it and without a tour of the facilities I have no idea where it might be). Reluctantly I sat down for the breakfast buffet. The bread and muffins were hot and fresh, but I waited over 20 minutes for milk (after asking for some) for my cereal. I finally gave up and left without eating it. After breakfast I had hoped to use the PC to view my pictures and DVD from my bungee jump the day before. However, they keep the desktop unit locked up so that all you can do is access the Internet-- not too convenient. I chose this hostel because they advertise one free shuttle for baz bus customers. Hopefully this will be a good experience, but when i asked at check-in if the offer was available I was told that it was-- without any explanation on how it works. If I had not already booked both nights, i definitely would not stay here again

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 17 June 2013

During my travels I has the opportunity of staying at the Tube an Axe. I would not call it a back packers lodge as the class of accommodation was 4 star like with extremely helpful and friendly staff. The fellow travelers were a;so welcoming and we had a lovely time. You will not get a better deal from any other place Tube n Axe is the way. Thank you to all the staff you guys are amazing see you next year.

Room Tip: All Rooms are great and clean. I would advise that if you are a couple book a room and not a dorm fo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

We have stayed 2 nights in our little tent before doing the otter trail, and we like it so much that when we finish ed the trail we stayed another 2. Beautiful gardens, cool bar area, free wifi, one of the most pleasant hot showers someone can have, and more than welcoming and helpfull staff (especially Suki and Pumlani). If we come back to storms river we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 22 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Tube N Axe for two days and had a lovely time. The location is ideal, on the edge of quaint Storms River Village and surrounded by plenty of greenery. The staff are very accommodating and helpful. When you tell them what
you are interested in doing for the day they go out of their way to make it easy for you.

I went out to the Tsitsikamma National Park both days that I was there, forgoing any of the more adventurous activities, and enjoyed both the Waterfall Hike (which is on very challenging terrain) and the one to the suspension bridges that cross the mouth of Storms River. Tube N Axe provides the first transfer to the park for free to Baz Bus travellers, and the cost for the second transfer was about 200 rand.

The lodge itself is lovely and cozy and there is a nice, chill vibe in the common area after dark. You can curl up on a couch, play pool, get a drink at the bar, or go outside to enjoy the roaring campfire they light nightly.

They do a really nice breakfast buffet in the morning for about 35 rand with plenty of freshly baked goodies and fresh fruit to enjoy.

• Stayed: May 2013