The Fernery Lodge & Chalets
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Misty Mountain Reserve(Tsitsikamma National Park)
  • Pool
Tsitsikamma Lodge(Storms River)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Kurland Hotel(Plettenberg Bay)
Great 4.5/5
Keurbooms River Hotel(Plettenberg Bay)
  • Pool
Plett River Lodge(Plettenberg Bay)
  • Restaurant
Beacon Island Resort(Plettenberg Bay)
Great 4.5/5
The Plettenberg Hotel(Plettenberg Bay)
Bayview Hotel(Plettenberg Bay)
Good 3.5/5
All reviewsgravel roaddolphin trailindian oceanstunning viewsoff the beaten trackmountain bikesgarden routethe cliffmain buildingour honeymoonamazing locationbeautiful placetwo nightsshort driveself cateringa wonderful staystayed longer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

The chalets here are gorgeous, and the setting is spectacular. The food was so so: a little disappointing for the price, especially the breakfast. Also be prepared for a long drive off the main road to get there! The fern nursery is worth a visit too.

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I have just read the review titled "yuck" and must disagree completely.
We stayed in the Honeymoon suite, Aquarius, in September and were totally satisfied by the complete experience. The room was spotlessly clean and well decorated. The staff welcoming, efficient and discrete and we were more than satisfied with dinner and a very hearty breakfast.
Couple this with Forest Ferns lodge being in a spectacular location and it was the highlight of our trip down the coast.

Room Tip: Take time to walk around in the fynbos and enjoy this spectacular place.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ian T
Angelique D, General Manager at The Fernery Lodge & Chalets, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear IanT

Thank you for the 5* review of The Fernery Lodge &Chalets.

We are delighted to hear that our unique location, amenities, and friendly staff were able to make your visit enjoyable and special...it will be an honor to share your comments with all our staff!

We look forward to having you return for another relaxing stay at our lodge.

Until next time!
Kind regards and best wishes from the entire Fernery Lodge & Chalets team

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed in one of the lodges. Beautiful and excellent room. Also the lodges are very nice. Very friendly Service. Dinner Reservation during the day necessary and recommended. Limited meals, but excellent menues. The fernery farm is also very interesting to see. This was absolutely the most impressive accomodation during our Gerden Route trip.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Reinhard T
Angelique D, General Manager at The Fernery Lodge & Chalets, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Dear citTravel2000

Thank you for your review to TripAdvisor....it saddens us that we could not meet all your expectations as we strive to give all our guests a memorable experience.

On top of the 2 jacuzzi's and 2 sauna's The Fernery Lodge & Chalets also offers 3 hiking and 1 cycling route. We also have 4x4 trips through the forest and guests can hire a boat or fishing tackle for a fun day at the dam.....all this information as well as the bookings that we can make on your behalf for activities in our area is available in our Information Book in our rooms.

While we try to cater to as wide a target market as possible, we do find that not everyone likes the peace, tranquility and "far away from everything" experience as much as we do.

We hope you will visit us again, until next time - Kind regards and warm wishes
The Fernery Lodge & Chalets team

Reviewed 16 November 2013

This place has good branding and lovely brochures and marketing, but I have to say honestly that I was very disappointed. The truth is, if you spend any time traveling in South Africa, you will soon learn the quality of the guesthouses in that country. You can travel around going from one little paradise to another--however, if you stay here, you will have interrupted your little nirvana with a stop in ugh-ville or maybe yuck-town, whatever you want to call it.

So, the place is hanging off a cliff over a waterfall in a most spectacular fashion. This is true. It is cool to go to the main building and see the view. So you say, "Wow." And then you go to your moist, stained, buggy room and feel slightly--ok, a lot--less delighted. I booked a "Honeymoon Suite," though I was on my own, thinking, "Oh yeah, I'm gonna be pampered." But if this had been my honeymoon, I probably woulda had a headache and delayed the conception of my heir until I found another spot more conducive to heir-conception. This was not it.

So I love ferns. I know that ferns require a lot of moisture to flourish, but I don't--not that much, anyway. A good tip if you are in an extremely humid environment is not to carpet your rooms--the carpet is a gray color, seemingly wet, retaining every drop of mist that clings to the place from the river below. And as much as I love ferns, I also have a horror of spiders--I know this is a weakness, but there it is. Of course, many many visited me here. There were two in permanent residence in a corner of the bathroom ceiling. I always think, "Ok, not everyone has the horror of spiders that I have," but then I also think, "Why does the housekeeping let them take up permanent residence?" I mean, if they are there with a web-system that is the spider equivalent of a small city, it's not like they've just crawled in because you left the door open--give the housekeeping a duster or something to clean out the corners!

The worst part of this place was the bathtub. When I first entered my bathroom after the severe disappointment over the main room, I thought, "Well, maybe a long soak in that tub will erase some of this unpleasantness." Then I looked in the tub. There were an abundance of what the French would call "les taches suspectes." I mean, I guess the only thing I could conclude was that past honeymoon couples hadn't let the state of the room curtail their activities. The presence of hair in the tub also testified to this. The other thing I concluded was--I wasn't getting in that tub. So I took a shower in the gross little shower stall and went to bed with a little help from a central-nervous-system depressant, which is sometimes what I have to do when I am far from home and very uncomfortable in my lodgings.

I should also mention, for those that care, that there is no wifi in the rooms and also no cell reception. In order to get wifi or make a call, you must drive to the main reception building up the road. Not that big of a deal, but just another thing. The breakfast is ok, but even the main building depressed me with its moist stinkiness. The one plus of the place, which is only a plus because I needed so much to distract myself, was that they had the NatGeo channel on the TV. In general, I spend little time watching TV during my travels, but I needed something to distract me at this place. I was able to watch a program entitled "Taboo" about feederism. Kinda interesting.

Conclusion: don't stay here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Erica D

Dear VedaSlade

Thank you for your very detailed review to TripAdvisor.

We had an immediate and thorough inspection of the room you stayed in as we were very concerned to hear that you experienced damp and cleanliness problems in this room. We can assure you that no such problems are currently being experienced and that we are happy that the standard of this room is of a high quality. While we try to cater to as wide a target market as possible, we do find that we are predominantly a couples, family and outdoor lovers destination.

We trust you enjoyed the rest of your trip through our beautiful country.

Best Regards
Angelique Drake
Tourism Manager: The Fernery Lodge & Chalets

Reviewed 15 November 2013

This is a hidden treasure, an unexpected surprise with wonderful accommodation, a bathroom that is a nature lover's delight and every possible thing that could make your stay comfortable. The attention to detail is most welcoming. There is so much to explore and enjoy at The Fernery, with the beautiful surrounds, the nursery, all the amenities, that one night, just isn't enough. The food is excellent with lovely menu options, difficult not to get food envy here. The whole experience is just that, a whole experience definitely not to be missed and a definite must-go-back. Thank you for delighting our experience on The Dolphin trail.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple